John Mayer Tone pups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Juanpe966, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Juanpe966

Juanpe966 New Member!

Hello everyone, I'm new, really pleased to be here!

I'm putting together a strat build with an old korean squier. I plan to swap practically everything. I was looking to get close to that Mayer tone. Something warm. I've been reading the forums, and thing like the Klein Jazzy Kats come up. Truth is for this build I want to keep it budget friendly, and not invest in pups worth more than the guitar itself. That is why "close" is more than enough xD.

I want to know more about technical specifications, so I can get an idea of what I want. What magnets would be best? Around what resistance?

Finally, and I know this is a little off topic, but if you have any advice on what capacitor and potentiometers to use, would be great.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers

2. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Low wind (5.6k range) with a5 magnets tend to be scooped somewhat naturally. 250k pots, .022-.047 cap (brand and construction are pretty irrelevant)

jvin248, fezz parka and Believer7713 like this.
  3. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

For some good budget friendly p'ups check YouTube for Alexander Pribora. He has several different sets with a pretty wide range. Also these are tge pots and cap that I typically usecwhen building a strat.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223464673060
    Welcome to the forum BTW. Stick around and have some fun. Lots of very knowledgeable and great people here.
    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Stratafied likes this.
  4. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

Yeah no need to chase the tone too far, just a good set of low output pickups will get you there.

The thing is he likes to roll the volume and tone down a bit on the neck and/or middle pickup and he plays a lot of lead with his fingers. That will warm up ones tone.

G

5. Juanpe966

Juanpe966 New Member!

Thank you for your insights! They are were very helpful! Will upload pictures when I'm dont.

Cheers!

Stratafied likes this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Vintage all the way. 250k pots and low output pickups. Check out bootstrap pickups .

Stratafied likes this.
  7. MartinoTJ

MartinoTJ Strat-Talker

I suggest Wilkinson A5 pickups very budget friendly (46$ a set on Amazon) around 6K very sweet set indeed. I personally like to swap the neck and middle position on the 5 way switch with tone control on neck and bridge. In alternative a blender wiring with master tone is also a very nice option. A Kinman treble bleed for me is a must on every build.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  8. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

If I were new to this and had the same goal, I'd check eBay or Reverb for prewired pots & 5 way switch, already on a metal backing plate (for like a '57 Strat- about $50)
    for example...
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=300823327048

and get a set of Fender '57/62 p'ups (about $100).
    For example...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B1F9TU/?tag=strattalk05-20

That will cover your electronics (for life) and you can reuse the lot later if you ever decide to upgrade from the Korean body.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You want his tone?
    Ta hell with the pups.
    Practice more. That'll get you there

MartinoTJ likes this.
  10. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I was curious, is that what gives a warmer sound , low output?

11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

Low output pickups allow your amp more headroom, which contributes to clarity and roundness (warmth) of tone. If you want drive you use signal boosters (gain) to get you the higher output, the advantage of this is you get more snap which is part of the John Mayer thing and using fingers in lieu of a pick adds to the effect. Lipstick tube pickups are wonderful for this kind of thing as their magnetic field is less focused without the pole pieces.

250k pots recommended. If you can find 200k pots might be worth a shot, although these are hard to get.

12. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by a recent Classic Series I picked up. It definitely had the low output mid scooped thing going on. Very easy to get JM tones out of it. The thing was dead stock and I can't imagine those pickups go for much used. I would imagine you could find a stock loaded pickguard.

MartinoTJ likes this.
  13. dirocyn

A big part of it is the pots. The typical vintage value is 250k, of course standard pots are +/- 20%. While most Squiers come with 500k pots. Both volume and tone pots make a difference.

You may have noticed that with standard wiring the guitar sounds darker & warmer when it's turned down, and also when the tone control is turned down. 500k pots effectively turn up further--theoretically you could find the 250k point on a 500k pot, although with audio taper it's not at 5.

14. Juanpe966

Juanpe966 New Member!

hehehe just a tiny detail! xD. Don't crush my dream that a 100 dollars in mods can cover for thousands of hours of practice!

Bob the builder likes this.
  15. Juanpe966

Juanpe966 New Member!

The guitar has an HSS confihuration. I kind of dig how it looks xD. I'm torn now, buy a new pickguard and make it sss. Or, keep it and use a 7.2K bridge PAF humbucker alongside 2 5.4k single coils. What do you lot think? Kinda ditching a little the mayer tone, but not a big deal at all. As far as I understand he usually plays in position 4 anyways.

I'm doubting about having vintage style pickups in a non vintage configuration. Also, in the case of HSS, should the tone control of the humbucker be 500k like usual or might be best to keep it at 250k?

16. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Late 60s winds. Fender 69s. Duncan Psychadelic Strat. Etc.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Most Honored Senior Member

Low output pickups
    Set low to the pickguard so they are weaker yet (turn up the amp)

Find a bunch of his pictures playing and determine if he's using stagger pole pickups (I suspect he does) or flat across. Also check out the Silver Sky model.

Pots and Caps are vitally important. So don't neglect those, or at least spend time swapping from the ends of the tolerance spectrum for each. Pots vary 20% in spec range and it matters, matters so much that PRS only got Mayer happy with the SS after finally measuring and matching what was in Mayer's 63 Strat (they had spent six or nine months winding special pickups and not getting there).

18. dirocyn

Stock Strats rarely have any tone control on the bridge pickup. So use 250k pots for tone on the single coils.

If you generally like your bridge as bright as can be, use 500k for the volume pot, it'll be ok. If you think the bridge needs taming, you can always swap out for a 250 there too.

19. MartinoTJ

MartinoTJ Strat-Talker

Vintage style AlNiCo pickups are generally scooped modern ceramic are more fat and mid pushy. I don't mind having a HSS with vintage pickups but is a matter of personal taste. As far as an Humbacker in the bridge with 7.2 K you will have a nice bridge sound that will pair well with the volume of your other pickups but your middle/bridge position won't be that great. Maybe in that case you should consider a superswitch and run you Humbacker in parallel on the 2nd position...just my $0.02...