John Mayer Trio

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarvegas, Mar 7, 2013.

1. guitarvegas

guitarvegas Senior Stratmaster

Never saw this concert until tonight. The best that has ever happened in these modern days is the John Mayer Trio! Who here agrees with that statement? Are they still active? Anyone who knows please shed some light on this....

John Mayer Trio Live at the Bowery Ballroom - YouTube

2. Stratosaurus

Stratosaurus Strat-Talker

I tend to agree. One of the best blues bands in modern times. Pino Palladino is an amazing bassist. And of course anyone can at least say that John knows how to play guitar. One of my favorite players, in fact.

As for if they are still active; Pino Palladino is generally busy as the bassist for The Who, so not really. They have gotten together a few times since Try! was released but that seems to be about it. I'm sure there's more to come eventually.

3. TrevorMarshall

TrevorMarshall Strat-O-Master

JMT is my favorite trio.
    They were supposed to do a studio album but weren't sure of the band so they recorded Try! Instead as a live album.
    Pino is a really busy session player and I don't think John is currently really into the blues as much as he is the folk Americana scene right now. Who knows though, they could reunite.
    Steve Jordan is a gnarly drummer.

4. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member

All three are fantastic musicians who just gel together really well. I love the Trio; it's Mayer's best work, IMO.

And I think Pino Palladino is a badass bassist. Hearing him play makes me want to pick up the bass.

5. CAR57

CAR57 Strat-Talker

I could use a tad less arrogance from JM, (there it is, I said it, go ahead, flame away!) that said, the performer is not the performance and this one gives me chills man:

John Mayer-"Who Did You Think I Was" Crossroads Festival 2010 - YouTube

I have started it over and over just to hear the drum intro again and again.... gets me every time! Bass work is absolutely killer too! Very tight playing as a group.

great riff, and great strat tone. Sounds less scooped / more mid heavy (hotter pickup sounding) to me than on the record but what do I know. I'm assuming this is his original black one? Maybe he doesn't have big dippers in it??

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Sonny

Sonny .. The smiles returning to the faces ..

Damn great. I like it

7. Stratosaurus

Stratosaurus Strat-Talker

I'm pretty sure my DVD copy of that concert is worn out around that area of the disc as well. I never get tired of it.

I particularly like this video, while the video quality is sub-par the performance was undeniably powerful:

John Mayer - "Bold As Love" Hendrix Inspired

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Strat-O-Master

I've watched that concert time after time. Love the JMT.

"It's ironic- I used to play in my bedroom pretending I'm onstage; now I play onstage and pretend I'm in my bedroom."

9. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

I really like them, but they aren't the best thing happened in modern days. They put out one album that was 11 tracks, two covers, two old JM songs, and two JM songs from his upcoming album ("Vultures" should really be considered a Trio product). So they really had an EP of originals and some good live gigs. They did help me get into Mayer.

I think they are done recording. Palladino and Jordan both play with other people a lot and I don't think they have done anything in a few years. Was a very important project for Mayer I think. Helped shape Continuum. Might have been the partial purpose of it to transition people into the sound.

And who doesn't like a trio that can flat play their asses off?

10. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

I need to check this out... missed out on it. JM can certainly play a Strat.

11. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

I agree with the OP that this is some of the best stuff I've heard in the past few years. "where the Light Is" is one of the best concert DVDs Ive seen in a long time.

12. screamineagle

screamineagle Senior Stratmaster

Ya this guy was legit 10 years ago. Incredible rthymn technique, incredible songwriting skills, great voice, went to Berklee, dude made it happen. Oh ya is he like a douche or something hehe? I dont give a flying **** as long as he puts out that trio ****.