Josephine hand-wound Tomatillo pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by scjames702, Oct 16, 2019.

1. scjames702

scjames702 New Member!

Let me say upfront that I know that I am going to come off sounding like an ungrateful little **** here. But here goes:

Several months ago I was lucky enough to win a set of Fender Custom Shop’s new “Tomatillo” pickups in a raffle at a Custom Shop event hosted by Guitar Center Hollywood. From what I’ve read online, all of these sets have been hand-wound by FCS’s master winder Josephine Campos. And let me just say that I installed them on my Strat and I absolutely love them. Best thing that ever happened to that Strat.

Here’s my question: All Josephina pickups have her signature on the back. These do not. They say “h/w bp,” which after some digging I found means hand-wound by Bricenda Pineda. Nor is there the standard certificate of authenticity that comes with FCS hand-wound pickups. This leads me to wounded whether my set are actually the Tomatillos or not. Now, I get it. I love the pickups so who cares? That’s what the GC guy who organized the FCS event basically told me. Well, I do. It’s my guitar and I like to know everything about it! So I’m wondering whether anyone on this site can help me. How can I determine which type of FCS pickups I’ve got. I know they’re supposed to be Alnico 2s. But I can’t tell an Alnico 2 from a 3 or 4 or 5. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Ask the GC guy.

Congrats on the new pickups.

3. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

A magnetometer would be handy. Otherwise, you might get a clue by taking a paper clip and testing how strongly it is attracted by the magnet compared to your alnico 5s.

4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'd pitch a ***** to GC and Fender. Sounds like false advertising.... bait and switch. It appears that you did not receive what was advertised, as you should have. If a raffle, you paid money to be a contestant and if the advertised prize had been a Corvette, and you won and were given a Camaro, you'd be pissed (I presume). Of course, several months have passed and you might be on shakey ground at this point since you didn't complain immediately and have installed and used them. But thanks for the info...others may be more wary of future GC raffles that might have a similar outcome.

CFFF likes this.
  5. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

With a new person to HYPE things up now that Abby retired (or should I say exploit), I HIGHLY doubt if SHE ACTUALLY MADE THE SET YOU HAVE WITH HER OWN HANDS, that she wouldn't have signed them.

6. chuckyz2

chuckyz2 Strat-Talk Member

My guess is that JC isn't the only one the winds those.
    I have some CS HW Strat pups by LD and by Josefina.
    Both sound amazing. The Josefina sound a tad better
    when I A/B them but I couldn't tell the difference otherwise.
    I have heard that all the CS hand winders are excellent.
    Josefinas will hold their value better.

7. Scott702

Scott702 New Member!

Jos HW tomatillo.JPG IMG_0473.jpg
    Thanks, chuckyz2. FCS certainly market these pickups as Josephia wound. (See example attached.) It case you've ever wondered about the identity of LD, I found this helpful post in the internet (See 2nd attachment) View attachment 363088 View attachment 363089 View attachment 363088 .

Again, thanks to you (and to everyone) for taking the time to reply.