Just A Reminder That Nature Is Still In Charge

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
There was a video on youtube a few years' back, I wish I could find it.

Someone put a camera in an birds nest--I think an owl's nest--to watch the birth and development of some birds. So there were cute baby birds in the nest waiting for mom to come to feed them.

Out of nowhere, a bald eagle swoops in and snatches one of the birds and flies away.

The slow motion view of that giant freaking bird coming in, claws first, and jaws wide open, filling the entirity of the the screen, was scarier than any scene The Walking Dead ever came up with.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
There was a video on youtube a few years' back, I wish I could find it.

Someone put a camera in an birds nest--I think an owl's nest--to watch the birth and development of some birds. So there were cute baby birds in the nest waiting for mom to come to feed them.

Out of nowhere, a bald eagle swoops in and snatches one of the birds and flies away.

The slow motion view of that giant freaking bird coming in, claws first, and jaws wide open, filling the entirity of the the screen, was scarier than any scene The Walking Dead ever came up with.
Cheap play for an eagle, oughtta be ashamed taking babies from the nest.
Go grab a dog on a leash wearing one of those spiked coats fer chrissake!

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
I have a hawk that tries to get my drone, a Mavic 2 Pro, but I am wise to these birds having learned years ago wit a drone I built from scratch.
If it's in the air, these birds will assume it's food, if you ever are in this position, fly up... birds are much slower moving trying to gain altitude.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I've got one of those that visits my backyard about the same time every spring/summer every year for a week or so. It's gotten to the point where it'll be fishing in my pond and I'll be doing yardwork and it's not even spooked.

Majestic to watch it fly. Stands about shoulder high and has a huge wingspread.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I've got one of those that visits my backyard about the same time every spring/summer every year for a week or so. It's gotten to the point where it'll be fishing in my pond and I'll be doing yardwork and it's not even spooked.

Majestic to watch it fly. Stands about shoulder high and has a huge wingspread.
I was crawling across some salt marsh hoping to get a closer pic of a cormorant drying its wings on a piling.
Suddenly I felt like I was being watched, looked to my right and saw a great blue heron 4-5 feet away from me, totally calm and possibly amused!
They really are pretty mellow around people here, though we have way too many people which is fine since herons dont lay on the dry sand and people are predictably easy to avoid, without having to keep running away.

OTOH the sandpipers and piping plovers are constantly running away from beach goers!

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
Just so you guys know, when we brought a goose to the bird sanctuary, they told us to never try to rescue a great blue heron( said to call the experts). With their long necks and beaks they can take one of your eyes out in the blink of an eye.
For the guys who get close to the