Just built my first pedal!

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Wound_Up, May 9, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Just got done building and testing out my first pedal circuit. It's a simple silicon fuzz face circuit from this project at the Smallbear website.

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

I haven't actually "tested" it as far as playing anything. Since it's 3am, I just plugged everything up and checked to see if I was getting any sound from the output jack. Yep. Everything works. Pots adjust like they're supposed to and everything. Tomorrow, I think I'm going to go back in and remove the 8.2k resistor and replace it with a 10k trimpot so I can adjust the bias. Other than that, I thinks it's good to go. I'll find out in a few hours. Can't wait.

This is only the beginning. Lol. Going down the pedal building rabbit hole. Next is a boost of some sort. Then possibly a compressor pedal. I probably need to buy some enclosures and some actual boards I can transfer to circuit to and then solder them together. For now, it'll just be metal switch/outlet boxes from the hardware store.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Just wait till you start buying up NOS germaniums... heheheheh...

Nate D and Jimi Lightning like this.
  3. Wound_Up

LOL! It ain't far off. I was looking at some when I ordered the high gain BC109c's that I've got lol. I'd really only buy some if they were reasonably priced. Considering how much money I saved by building this instead of buying one, I can spend a bit and still come out way ahead. At the same time, I ain't no dummy lol

I may end up ordering one of these inexpensive Germanium pedals I found on good ole Amazon because it's about as much as 2 transistors would cost. I can always go in and strip those out, too. Unless they're surface mount stuff that would be useless to me.

4. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Get over to Group DIY and build yourself some nice microphones too :D

Wound_Up likes this.
  5. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Post some pics for us to see !!!

here’s a few I made:

D3D2A161-8BFA-4F0A-A84C-A38F696B8D7D.jpeg 5DBC80F9-922A-4154-AEFA-B91B106EDEA8.jpeg 498001C7-0174-4003-B707-0164C46B0836.jpeg

The_Whale, Wound_Up, circles and 3 others like this.
  6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Been pondering building Treble booster (Rangemaster) clone and a Attenuator.
    Here is my Lo-Fi mic I built to go with my Cigar Box guitars. Recycled a can and an old telephone handset, Built the inside up with a PVC pipe and the jack is on the bottom.

ADEF8270-EF28-4276-AF92-9FF3B866A085.jpeg

Tremoluxer, Wound_Up and circles like this.
  7. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Way to go!! You have a whole world of fun ahead of you now :thumb:

8. Wound_Up

Well here's the best part... It actually sounds good! Voltage at the collector of Q2 is 5.4V, which is within spec. I could install a trimpot and get it closer to 4.5V but it sounds fine like it is so I'm leaving it as-is for now.

So I ordered a couple of pcb boards so I can solder it permanently and get it installed into a housing. The pcb I ordered also comes with a board for a PNP germanium build, which I'm sure I'll end up doing at some point.

This is only the beginning LMAO! One thing I need to work on is reading schematics and then transferring that to a physical board. It really can't be too hard. Follow the signal path and make sure all of the connections are correct and it seems like the rest will fall into place. <shrug>

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    JB74 likes this.
  9. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Homer 2.png

JB74 and Wound_Up like this.
  10. Wound_Up

I did. They've been a bunch of help already.

Today I pulled the 8.2k resistor at Q2 collector and replaced it with a 10k trimpot to rebias. Voltage at Q2 collector started at 5.4v and is currently adjusted to 4.5v and this thing sounds absolutely incredible! I couldn't be more pleased with myself lol.

Yesterday, I realized I had a 5v breadboard power supply so I got that on the board to power the pedal for that "Duane Allman 1/2 dead 9v battery" sound but it didn't sound all that great. It was too fuzzy and was starting to spit & sputter. It was recommended to bias between 3 & 4v and try again with the 5v supply but I haven't tried it yet. I just got the trimmer installed and set to 4.5v and checked it.

I also ordered a set of fuzz face circuit boards, 1 each for a NPN silicon & PNP germanium biuld. I also ordered an, aluminum pedal housing, a potentiometer kit with 5 ea of 5 different values of pot and 1 each of 5 values of trimpot. So 25 pots and 5 trimmers. Plus 25 knobs and associated hardware. And some soldering tweezers that normally stay closed and you squeeze to open instead of like the standard tweezers that squeeze to close.

I believe that's it. I can't wait to get this thing swapped to a permanent board.

Bladesg and Jimi Lightning like this.
  11. Daddypantz

Daddypantz Strat-Talker

I envy you even attempting building a pedal!

Wound_Up likes this.
  12. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

It's actually easier that I ever imagine. Some PCB reseller actually write the value of each components directly on the board. It is literally soldering by numbers !

As long as you have some basic equipment:

- Good soldering iron
    - Cutters and screw drivers
    - Set of helping hands (to hold the PCB)
    - Magnifying glass with light
    - Solder, solder wick and solder pump

You are set to go.

It is an amazingly relaxing experience, there is something about taking every little component, putting them in, soldering them and cutting the excess legs that makes me feel very good in the process. Mind you it can also come from the soldering fume that numbs my brain.

Then come the stress of testing it... If you succeed, it is extremely gratifying. If you don't then you land in the world of troubleshooting. However the DIY pedal building community is extremely helpful.

If you want to explore it, check out pedalpcb.com. There plenty of great building site, that's just the one I landed on.

I like it ! And I get pedals for cheap !

So far I build a Wah-wah, a Compressor, an Analog Delay, a Skreddy P19 clone, a Big Muff clone... I have on the bench, a Digital delay, an 8 Mod effect (Phaser, Chorus, flanger, tremolo, etc.) and a clone of Super Six “Stevie Mod” Overdrive. Lots of hours of fun !

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  13. Daddypantz

Daddypantz Strat-Talker

Very cool, and good to know - thanks!

14. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Did you get in on the latest batch of partial kits for the KM84 clone?

15. Wound_Up

No I missed that.

Awww man. This one was simply a matter of building what was on the page at

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

They give you a pic of the breadboard as you go so it's very, very easy, to follow along and get it right. The hard part is reading wiring diagrams and picking your own wiring scheme. That, page gives you a predefined scheme to follow. Most everything else is just a diagram. So I think what I may do first is try to rebuild the fuzz face I just built using only the wiring diagram and see if I can get it right. Then move on to more difficult circuits from there.

See below:

First step:
    Fig19.jpeg Fig21.jpg Fig22.jpg Fig24.jpeg Fig25.jpeg

Last step:
    Fig39.jpeg

I did mine like the above pic except my pots are for pcb mount so they're mounted straight to the breadboard for a cleaner circuit.

That's the best part! I've got less invested in everything I've purchased than I would if I had just bought a Fuzz Face. And I can still build a bunch of other stuff just, with what I have currently.

I also figured out a way to use my pedal power supply to power the fuzz face even though it only has a battery connection. I have a 9v adapter to use a 9v battery with pedals that only have a power port on the side. You plug that into the power supply and attach another 9v adapter to it. Snip the ends of the 2nd adapter and strip the wires. Then plug into the breadboard. I'll post a pic in a second. Ignore all the cables lol

Yes, the red is going to ground and black to power. That's how it comes out of the power supply(black is power and red is ground) and I need POS to POS and NEG to NEG for this fuzz to work.

20210512_222453.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Daddypantz likes this.