Just curious...your top three GT player influences

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Gilmour, Frusciante and Mayer. Did I say Gilmour?...

americanstrat98 and Ebidis like this.
  2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Michael Schenker
    Matthias Jabs
    Eddie Van Halen
    And last but not least myself.

Life is good,
    Robin

3. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

It's complicated.

But considering my taste for tone and the fact that I ain't no virtuoso, nor like modern approaches, or shredding, for what it's worth, I'd rather point the one guitar player that ended up defining my tone, technique and general relationship with the guitar, even as the live player I am.

Master Keith Richards.

4. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, it's more in terms of vibe and aesthetic, but...
    i'll cite Wes Montgomery. Pat Metheny, and Robert Fripp,
    and i'll leave it to you folks to figure out why those three,
    but this is what i sound like:

:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    davidKOS, Stratwrangler and Ebidis like this.
  5. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

Dickie Betts
    Peter Green
    Freddie King

6. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

John Squire

James Dean Bradfield

and a topical one at the moment

East Bay Ray

7. fastbob72

fastbob72 Strat-Talker Silver Member

"For me it would have to be Jimi, SRV and Robin Trower. I know that throwing RT in there might seem odd to some people over let's say David Gilmour who I respect greatly as tone master, but I say RT because I saw that guy in like 76 headline and when you see three guys fill up a coliseum with people and sound, there's not many people that can do that other than maybe ZZ Top. I remember these deep pastel colors on the show and Trower just had these super deep sounding chords and changes and I was pretty blown away by the fact that it was one guy on stage playing guitar and no stinking keyboard players! All three guys play Strats so uh..... hard not to be in love with those guitars."

For me this is such a great, great topic while equally it's the biggest load of bull going. lol.

Hear me out first. Guitars, guitarists, music, who's better than who and why....... everything to do with modifying and racing cars. I've got twin passion/obsessions.

What I'm getting at it give me the wildest most oblique reference I can use to takk guitars and that's all I require to bore folks to stone, like the trolls early on in The Hobbit on their first days adventure

It's completely subjective, I'm an intelligent fellah, I know that it's opinion and little more but once I get going opinions they may be but it slips my mind leaving only fact and truth to pass my lips. lol.

Of course, that is all a bit tongue in cheek what I've said so far but I do love talking the most.... the best.... my favourites because we can talk till the cows are in bed and snoring just so long as folk realise there is no best unless you apply a little inductive logic permanently prooving there isn't a best.

And three, there's no way I can distill it down to just three unless I can have a hell of a lot of joint seconds and thirds. Why not ask me to pick from my 17 children

In saying that you're chosen three definitely meet with my approval. Jimi's there and that's one cast iron fact we can be sure of. SRV, mmmmm you know I'd maybe choose Rory Gallagher to fit that role but I need room for Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Peter Green, Angus Young, Alvin Lee, Ritchie Blackmore ummm to name but a few.Ace Frehley too,I love that guy lol.

I was always mesmerised by Jimi but for me my greatest hero growing up was Jimmy Page, that fellah is cool personified so you can bet your last pound it was a Les Paul I dreamed of for so long.

My first proper decent guitar though was my black and white MIJ Squier which I still own, love and demand to be buried, incinerated whatever with,it's coming with me just incase I'm as wrong as can be and there is an after life, Eternity with no Strat is unthinkabke.

I got first a quality LP copy last october then went out and bought a 2016 LP Traditional for £1350 a couple of weeks later. It is everything I imagined and hoped and then some...... yet when I play I want my MIJ or the MIM Player I also bought last year. I will agree with you unequivocally that strats are 'the best' guitar..... for me at least.

Oh yeah, I admit this with genuine shame but you're other choice Robin Trower. I've been familiar with the name for 20-30 years but never heard the man play a single note till just before christmas.

If I take Jimi and Jimmy then let's just say it's a fight for the other spot between Gary Moore and Robin Trower. By which means, I manage to sneak 4 in under the radar. In saying that those two are level of the third spot and I really don't know who to choose

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

D. Boon
    Bob Mould
    Hendrix (which lets me sneak in SRV)

4th Place: Jimmy Page

xland likes this.
  9. fastbob72

fastbob72 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Damn, damn, damn I completely forgot to give a mention for Dave Murray.He was another one I really rated from early on. A strat player too, well probably more ESP and Charvel ultimately but Strat-like.

I think he's a very underated guitarist that deserves a hell of a lot more credit than he gets.

Chuck8436 and Stonetone like this.
  10. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Hendrix , Clapton , Page , Betts , Harrison, Beck , SRV , no order and many more.

11. Chad Dukes

Chad Dukes Strat-Talk Member

David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, and Chet Atkins.

12. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Andre Olbrich
    George Lynch
    Literally everyone who played with Ronnie James Dio

I should also mention Emmpu Vuorinen. I don't listen to his music much anymore, but it was Nightwish's Wishmaster album that made me want to play rock guitar in the first place.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I wanted to play like Leo Kotke, Al Dimeola, And Steve Howe... but that was pretty impossible. Hendrix, Clapton, and Gilmour were the guys I was able to steal more licks and tricks from.
    Page was my favorite for decades, but even though I learned a bunch of LZ songs I was never able to achieve a feel for doing it like he does.

14. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Ohhh that’s not fair...... but ok first 3 that come to mind

EVH
    Gilmour
    Santana..

But really so many more

15. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

Page
    Clapton
    Jimmie Vaughan

16. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Since only 3 are allowed, I'd just throw out Jimi Page, Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower. Wish we could list 10 because a lot of bluesmen and blues rockers aren't getting their due respect from me, and my humble thanks for ripping them all off.:D

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

you didn't say they had to be famous, these were the most influential guitar players to me.
    1- my old friend Charles (best ear I have ever seen still to this day) I have been chasing how good he was at 16 ever since.
    2- a guy from Portland named Michael Brown (monster player)
    3-My Uncle Bob (fantastic jazz and swing player)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  18. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Chet Atkins for the win :D

davidKOS, Chad Dukes and Ebidis like this.
  19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Bob's your uncle? i like it!
    :D

Stonetone and The Strat Dude like this.
  20. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Can you feel the love tonight? Strat-Talk Supporter

James Hetfield
    Dave Mustaine
    Jimmy Page

Stonetone and duzie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.