Join Strat-Talk Today

Just curious...your top three GT player influences

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

George Harrison.
    Eric Clapton.
    Jeff Beck.

But...the biggest influence on actually playing was my first teacher. Howard Roberts.

2. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Strat-Talker

Just influences since you guys all have covered the basics like Jimi,SRV,BFG,Page,Gilmore, Gallagher, Lifeson..

Joe Walsh
    Johnny Winter
    Robert Johnson

Chuck8436 likes this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

impossible to answer with three.
    Number one would actually be D.Gilmour.
    Larry Carlton, Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery are all tied for second.
    Chet, Merle, Marty Robbins... Les Paul.... Tommy Iommi, Ace Frehley, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammett, Jimi, George Harrison is obviously right up there...
    I couldn't give you three. There are dozens. I'm not a fan of the stones, but I like Keef's tonality and his style is an influence.
    Some artists have a particular technique or nuance in their playing style that I really love, it's not just a player admiration or a "skills to pay the bills" appreciation.

4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

First three that come to mind:
    • Patrick Simmons
    • Keith Richards
    • Paul Simon

5. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Alex Lifeson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Page

oh and so many others. Andy Scott, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck, EVH, Elliott Easton, Rick Neilson, Jagori Tanna (I Mother Earth), The Edge, Steve Vai, Rick Emmet, Jerry Cantrell, Dave Navarro, Billy Corgan... and so many others.

xland likes this.
  6. fastbob72

fastbob72 Strat-Talker Silver Member

You know, I didn't pick up on the full thrust of your question jumping straight on the top 3 part and missing out completely on the notion of guitartist influencing your guitar choices and how you approach playing the guitar.

It doesn't change my selection much apart from the Robin Trower choice seeing as I got switched on to him november, december so hardly long enough to have a large influence on my playing.

What is amazing though about RT is listening to, it was the Winterland Concert 1975 that's on youtube and I was 16 again feeling that rush like when I first heard Jimmy Page or JH. Just getting that full on joy at discovering a new player who's style is 100% down your street in my early/mid 40s.I thought that kind of excitement and wonder was a thing of the past but no apparently not.

Now though Jimmy Page becomes number one now because I spent so much time trying to capture something of his playing into mine, When I was 17 I must have watched Song Remains The Same 1000s of times looking at how he played, the movements, the way he played certain parts of songs. Any live Zeppelin bootleg I coukd get my hands on went straight onto the record player while I tried to work out every note he played and particularly how he played them.

That I was playing a Strat while he used mostly LPs really didn’t phase me one bit. I suppose I've always focused on a players technique. If I could get that down I wasn't bothered whether my tone came close or not.

I'd probably elevate either Angus Young or Dave Murry in place of RT because again I spent countless hours trying to get what it was in their playing that really resonated with me. Again Murray played Strats early on then ESPs, Charvels and possibly a Jackson that none the less could pass for a Fender if you didn't look to hard,. Angus only plays SGs so very unStrat-like.

Jimi Hendrix keeps his spot obviously.

My introduction to the Strat(MIJ Squier) was simply it was the best I could afford at the time. If I could have had a Gibson or a decent LP copy that was better quality than the Squier then I would have without a seconds thought but the guitar grew on me.

Put it this way my Black n White Squier is now 26 years old and it has served me so well that it was not until last July that I bought another guitar to compliment it.

Since then I've bought a very good Chinese LP, a BadCat not a Chibson and then a true Gibson LP but I'm so much a Strat player now and devotee that nothing else feels as right as a Stratocaster does

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page.

Andrew Wasson, StratMike10 and xland like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Holly, Curtis, Cochran, Moore, Berry, Travis, Atkins, Perkins, Marvin and Weedon, in no particular order.

9. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

1) Hendrix
    2) T-Bone Walker
    3) Hubert Sumlin
    and by extension, SRV

I have learned so much from just a few Hendrix songs. Starting to appreciate Frusciante now for the same reason
    T-Bone just has a fluidity that is amazing.
    Sumlin makes masterful use of phrasings and space.
    SRV, synthesizes it all

10. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-Talker

Tony Iommi, Dave Murray and Mark Tremonti. They've definitely heavily influenced my style when writing music and especially when improvising. I love George Lynch but he hasnt really influenced my playing, Ive honestly never even attempted to play anything of his.

11. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-Talker

Ah, I love Schenker and Jabs. I used to love listening to the Scorpions with my dad when I was a boy.

Yessir, he played a Fender Strat. He actually got me into Stratocasters. I kind of based mine off of his when I was a teen, just with inverted colors

Robins and mad axe man like this.
  12. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

Gary Moore - for getting me into the blues
    Eric Clapton - for getting me into playing the blues
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - for getting me into playing the blues on a Strat

However, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, John Norum and many other rock players deserve credit too. Without them I'd never have picked up the guitar in the first place (actually I played classical for a bit first, but I got bored of it).

mad axe man, xland and fastbob72 like this.
  13. fastbob72

I've got a strange notion thar Jimmy Page used a Strat on some songs duringthe recording of Zep II. Might be wrong but I don't think so lol

14. fastbob72

Oh definitely, he had that black and white one either an HH or HSH for the Marquee show 1981 I think, I had the video years ago. Also, a black on black one around the same time.May have been the same guitar modded with a different scratchplate.
    I really rate Dave Murray, his seamless fluid runs are highlighted by Adrian Smith's not so fluid, smooth leads lol

Chuck8436 likes this.
  15. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Top 3 is hard but
    Rory Gallagher
    Jeff beck
    Paul kossof

fastbob72 likes this.
  16. fastbob72

I haven't listened to much Schenker at all. Some live jam he played with kirk Hammett I watched on youtube a while ago, that's about it

17. fastbob72

Rory Gallagher and Jeff Beck are definite candidates, haven't heard much PK/Free - All Right Now lol..... again its crazy because they are absolutely my kind of band :

Stratwrangler likes this.
  18. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Yep been listening to those three since I was five years old , dad had all the early yard birds , taste , back street crawler and free records etc plus heaps of other stuff but its always been those three that shaped my playing and love of the guitar. Seek out some of the other free records so much more to kossoff than alright now. Start of with" tons of sobs "and go from there .
    Andy frazer is a great bassist too and was only 16 when they made that album incredible really.

fastbob72 likes this.
  19. fastbob72

I have to do it although I'm going to be the target of metaphorical rotten tomatoes but Mr Humble himself Yngwie J Malmsteen.... you cannot deny the guy is incredible plus a whole pile more superlatives that are all rightly appplied.

Love him/hate him and many do hate but very few if any can play the way he does, That's why the arrogance doesn't annoy me the way it does many. Arrogance is fine when you have something to be arrogant about, if you can class it as arrogance.

A 100% strat man for sure and it's his bringing the scalloped fretboard into the limelight inspired me to buy a scalloped neck. Then all the other parts required to make my partscaster.

In fact, the rest ia due in today from Amazon. Unfortunately, the neck is from China. Apparently, posted but the tracking number is useless.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Andrew Wasson and dogletnoir like this.
  20. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Pete Townshend
    Billy Gibbons
    And lately, Neil Young

Neil.C likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.