Just drove a Jaguar convertible!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 28, 2020.

1. JulioChicago

JulioChicago New Member!

Careful what you wish for, as a Chicagoan.. roadblocks were a weekly occurence in my youth for now I take the bus & rails.

2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

When I was shopping for my Honda Civic, I saw a lot of Mercedes and BMW coupes in my price range. I was having lunch with my accountant and mentioned I was car shopping and was thinking of either a Honda Civic or a BMW 3 series coupe. My accountant says, "Those German cars fall apart after three or four years, and they're incredibly expensive to repair. The truth is, you can easily afford to buy a used Beemer.... but can you afford to own one?"

3. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

That last line is the kicker. Buying a BMW is different than being able to afford the ownership costs, especially as you get closer to the 100k mark.

4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

longboard blues likes this.
  5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

That's funny - when I'm taking my dogs for walks everyday, there'll be several houses in the hood with the garage doors open and some young guy (forever) working on a their little Beemer or Jeep. Most often the Beemer. Never anything else. I owned 2 Beemer I3's and there was always some little stupid thing not working right like the gas door release or the charge port release and always at the worst possible moment. You have to leave right now and you can't get the charge plug out of the car - argh!!! :mad:. The gas door release (for the onboard generator) would of course fail to open when you pulled into the gas station. :mad: And they made the cables out of plastic... WTF? Idiots.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Guy I worked with at my last job bought a beautiful 'not too old' Jag. Unexpected repairs started almost instantly. Last one was the airbag suspension needed to be replaced for $4k. I'm sure there's been many more.

7. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Damn good car!

Thrup'ny Bit and Jesse414 like this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

Fun cars to drive for sure. I can imaging that fast in a car though. My fastest on 4 wheels was 158 mph and on two wheels was 187 mph. on 4 wheels was on a track and the two was in an undisclosed location that if I told you I would have to kill you to be able to keep my job. LOL

9. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Your in Wisconsin why didn't you pick me up I wanna ride in a Jaguar too geesh:)

10. Deafsoundguy

I’m pretty up on XJ’s and XK’s. I’ve had 4 and they were all reliable but I knew which ones not to get. The one I think you’re referring to I believe would have to be pretty old like pre-95. They got pretty reliable after that until the Nikasil engine fiasco (many manufacturers used it not just Jag) 98,99, half of 2000. Many manufacturers put out some turds but for some reason Jag got a bad rap and not others who were worse. And it was almost usually another manufacturer’s part that would go bad like Lucas electronics, or a bad batch of door handles from whomever. Most of the XK’s post 2007 are bullet proof, great cars. My 95 VDP was really pretty good too 180,000 miles when I traded it in.... As with most brands you just have to ask someone in a forum what years not to get. They’ll tell you!

11. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Gorgeous... Did he end up selling it or?

Yaralag likes this.
  12. Yaralag

Yes, he owned it for about 20 years and sold it in the mid nineties.

13. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I bet you hate him for that lol.

Yaralag likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-Talker

Never mistake a British car for transportation :p

15. Yaralag

I did want it but I don’t have the money to keep it going so it’s for the best.

16. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Modern BMWs absolutely do not "fall apart after three or four years", that's complete bunk. Are the costs of ownership higher than a Toyota or a Honda? Sure, but the driving experience is well worth it...and I'm referring to premium gas, insurance and regular maintenance, not necessarily repair costs.

And sure, anyone can afford a used Beemer...that's motorcycle; a Bimmer is a car. ;)

Bladesg likes this.
  17. Deafsoundguy

I’ve never seen this before
    17B5B541-21C5-476E-B714-49F859076176.jpeg

18. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I like Jags...

My grandparents had a 50’s XK150. I never saw that car but I heard stories. I think my grandmother was more of a gear head than my grandad, lol. I’ve worked on an XK150. It’s a 12 volt car but it’s positive ground so you have to be careful when installing aftermarket electronics like stereos and alarm systems.

In the late 80’s when I was a car install tech, I put a CD changer in the back of a convertible 60’s E-Type Jag. V-frikken-12 engine with a 4 speed. The guy who owned it told me to test drive it once I was done to make sure it didn’t skip :cool:

Once I was done, I took it for a spin and all checked out so I gave him a call to tell him it was ready to go. He asked if I took it for a test drive. I said yup. He said did you drive it fast and take it down a bumpy road. I said nope, I just took it for a mile or so on the main roads. He said, jump back in and drive it like it’s your car; give me a shout when it’s ready. Whaaaaat :sneaky: So now I’m excited to take this thing for a serious rip, with the owner’s permission.

So back out I go. A few minutes later, I’m ripping down a back road in 3rd gear, thinking, I’m moving out pretty fast when I glance at the tach and the big old V12 is barely above idle.... so I dropped it back into 2nd gear and floored it through 3rd and into 4th. Now it’s really moving, doing about 100 mph :eek:

The CD didn’t skip a beat and the customer was happy I ripped around in his car. An excellent day all around.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  19. Deafsoundguy

Wow how much fun was that? :)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

It was a blast! I took the counter guy who answered phones and booked appointments for us along for the ride too. Ear to ear grins all around.

Deafsoundguy likes this.