Just got a new Professional ii. Is the push-push switch supposed to raise the knob this much?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheFenderBender, Sep 29, 2021.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender New Member!

I just got a brand spankin' new Professional ii in Miami Blue from Sweetwater. This color is quite pleasing to the eye and the guitar feels great. It's my first MiA strat after having two amazing MiM ones. I know that the push-push switch is new to the Pro ii but I can't tell if the one I got is normal or if the switch is supposed to raise the knob this high off of the body? It seems comically high and I can't seem to find any pics of another push-push knob up close to compare. Does anyone else's look like this? These are the two positions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

No that’s not right. Did it come like that?

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

the lowered position should look just like the other tone knob. are you sure it's seated properly on the shaft?

Pandamasque likes this.
  4. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender New Member!

Yup, straight out of the case for the first time. It did pass Sweetwater's 55 point inspection so that's what also confused me. I figured they'd know if it was out of whack. I just watched the official video on Fender's website and I can't tell if theirs is that high also. I took some screen shots.
    2021-09-28.png 2021-09-28 (1).png

5. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Try pulling it off gently, then put it back on making sure it’s seated before pushing down.

I’d also send that pic to your sales rep, whoever did the inspection is as idiot.

6. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

I have that same guitar but with a rosewood neck. Mine doesn’t go that high although it does go up a fair amount. It just looks like the knob is not pressed on all the way.

Green Sub, fos1 and Textele like this.
  7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

That is one quirk I dislike about the these American Pro 2s and the Performers...the bottom tone knob sticks out too much.They could have made it sit a bit lower.

abown and JonnyBGood like this.
  8. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Yep, as I discovered last night using the tremolo arm on my new(ish) Performer. Rotate the arm round and it crashes into the lower tone knob instead of clearing it. I was about to post this with a photo as I hadn't seen it mentioned before. Not a great design.

sonny wolf likes this.
  9. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

I agree. I ordered a Pro ii strat several months ago and sent it back because there were marks on the fretboard. However, I also disliked the push-push button, which looked just like the one in the picture. I much prefer the S1 switch on my Ultra Luxe strat, which is the same as on the Ultra.

sonny wolf and fos1 like this.
  10. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

The knob has to be above the pickguard otherwise you won't be able to push it down enough for it to latch and go to the "on" position.

You may be able to drop it a tad (will need taking the pickguard off) but ultimately that's the difference between a push-push pot and a push-pull. A push-pull will sit flush but is harder to grab on the fly.

I think I'd be tempted to move the other knobs a bit higher if it bothers you too much.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  11. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

Mine seats maybe a hair lower. I also had 6 to choose from at the store and they were all the same. It bugged me at first but I don’t really think about it anymore.

I’d rather they put the indented S1 switch they use in the Ultras instead, and on the volume knob, but honestly I don’t use the feature as much as I thought I would anyway.

12. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That looks pretty high in your pics, but I think it's probably okay though.

Unless you "windmill" like Pete.

Maybe try gently pushing down on it when it's in it's lowered position as a few posters above have recommended.

13. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

That's pretty much how mine looked out of the box, but it's an easy fix next time you change strings. Just pull the knob (gently), remove the pickguard, and adjust the washers on the pot to lower the shaft height on the topside.

Here's how mine looks after adjustment. I don't even notice it anymore:

IMG_2769.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  14. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I think normal movement is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. If your trem arm is bashing it, try bending the arm outwards a little.

If it bothers you that much you could retrofit an S-1 switch, where only the middle part of the switch moves, but Fender seems to be moving away from those, mainly, I suspect, because they're more expensive than off-the-shelf push-pushes made by the gazillion, and because people by and large weren't not interested in the 256 pickup options they enabled and which were wired into some models.

Personally, I find the S-1 button so small I can only operate one with my pinkey, and haven't found one with anything other than "volume" on the button.

15. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

...add 2(or more) Trem springs and you're good.

16. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

My bridge is decked, adding more springs will not affect anything. Even if it were floating I can't see how this would prevent the tremolo arm contacting the lower tone knob.

17. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Looks neat but surely if you pull the knob upwards the shaft below the pickguard comes up with it as it is not secured? That's what happens with mine. Unless you were to put another washer on the shaft *underneath* the pickguard once you have it in a lower position I can't see what there is to stop it pulling through.

18. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Mine sits a hair lower than the OP's. Maybe 1/8" above the pickguard in the 'off' position. When I press on the knob, it goes down to about 1/32 or smaller from the pickguard, before popping back up.

But, I am a little thrown by someone's trem arm hitting this knob, even in the up position? My trem arm sits about an inch and a half above it, even in it's up position.

I so prefer push/push to push/pull. I also like how far up it sits, so I absolutely KNOW where it is set. But, that's my typical preference. It seems it's not everyones cup of tea....

19. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I had an identical guitar and mine was just like that.

Green Sub likes this.
  20. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

its like that on my performer... doesn't bother me all that much until someone points it out LOL