Just got a new Professional ii. Is the push-push switch supposed to raise the knob this much?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheFenderBender, Sep 29, 2021.

1. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I have an AmPro II Tele and the push/pull knob is about the same as yours.

Green Sub likes this.
  2. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

Yeah funny. I hadn’t given it a thought until I saw this thread.

Chont likes this.
  3. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I have a pull pot on my Bridge tone knob as well. On a regular Strat to give the Neck+Bridge combo. I have it lower so it's barely higher than the regular tone and volume knob position in relation to the pick guard. It's the adjustment of that nut and the threaded pot's shaft. You can easily tweak to your liking.

Caddy likes this.
  4. LaughingLoon73

LaughingLoon73 Strat-Talk Member

I have the same guitar, mine does sit that high, doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t even think about it anymore. My term arm does not come close to it even when up. I’ve heard some trem bars are bent differently than others, yours must sit awfully flat and close to hit the knob even when it’s up. Could bend it out a bit though.

5. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

You should always have another nut, and washer - typically a toothed one - underneath the pickguard. That’s how the shaft height is set. Did yours come from the factory without these?

Also, the pot in question is a push-push, so you wouldn’t be pulling up on it anyway - but as noted, you do need a nut & washer under the guard regardless.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  6. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Yes, have a look at this photo which shows the underneath, just a washer that moves freely up and down and will not fix in place on the shaft:

no nut.jpg

Ah my bad for not clarifying something - the control on the Performer is actually PULL push, you pull it up to add the neck pickup with positions 3-5. Take a look at these pics, first one shows the switch off (trem arm bangs into top of knob) and with the switch engaged (pulled up) the trem arm won't even clear it. I'm sure to some this wouldn't be an issue, they might tighten the trem so it is stiff and sits above/between the two tone knobs, but I like to get it out the way when not in use. Just feels awfully clunky for a grand's worth of guitar...

switch off.jpg

switch on.jpg

Green Sub likes this.
  7. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

OK, so you definitely need another nut under the guard on that pot - note how much thread you have above the guard, and if the whole pot pulls up when you engage the pull switch, that's not ideal (but you do want to keep it high enough to get under the knob so you can pull it up). Somebody must have been drowsy on the production line and left the underside nut off.

For the trem arm, it looks like the bend has a smaller-than-normal angle, although it's a little hard to tell from the pics. I would either put the short end in a bench vise and bend it up carefully, or replace the arm.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  8. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Right, thanks for this. I happened to have a spare term, a Gotoh, and as you can see (white tip) the bend angle above the thread is wider than my Fender -which is about 90 degrees. Fitting the Gotoh has helped and it now clears the top of the knob when then switch is in off (lower) position. Just need to find me a washer, unfortunately the shaft on this switch is thicker than standard pots (I had some spare washers and pots kicking around).

trems.jpg

mutato and Green Sub like this.
  9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I have a push/push I put on a partscaster and it sits about the same height as the other two. BUT the other two are a bit higher than normal. But I couldn’t really get the push/push to sit much lower and work. When depressed to activate, knob is pretty much on the body. Photos are up, down and when depressed.
    ED8247F8-1D3F-4543-BFA5-564F148B8717.jpeg F1DF9959-0FEE-422D-8A1D-36E5F6AFC9CB.jpeg 24CBD16B-6605-4824-960D-D0E71BC9D1AA.jpeg

10. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

since the original trem isn’t at a ideal angle you may as well bend it. Super easy. I drill a hole in a piece of wood, stick the short end of the trem in the hole and bend it. I do it just to get the angle I like.

11. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talker

Wow, Fender must have hired the QA/QC folks from gibson. And so much for the 55 point from Sweetwater.

12. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Here's my 1986 AVRI '62 with a pull push pot mod. I think it's more to do with the angle of the tremolo arm than anything. Yours is definitely fairly low and at a right angle. I'd just give that a little bend (carefully) in a vice. A trick is to drill hole in wood and put THAT in vice. Then stick arm into hole and slowly bend a little. That way, no scratches on metal.

IMG_5870.JPG

Closed, it sits about the same as my other pots:

IMG_5872.JPG

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  13. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

A knob that high would bug me for sure. I'd rather just have a mini toggle switch and all the knobs the same height. Mini switches aren't cool I guess?

14. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Seems to me the S1 switch is what’s needed or missing here.

abown and d_t_p like this.
  15. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Somewhere to hang a 2020-21 fashion "must have". Ahem. So when you're on stage and need to take "it" off, the audience can see all those guitar solo grimaces you spent hours practicing in the bathroom mirror? :D

16. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Not suer if anyone gave you instruction on how to set it up as low as possible. I noticed that someone pointed out you need a second nut under the pickguard...

Here's how i set mine up:

- Set the inner screw all the way down and install the pot to the pick guard with the know on in close position.
    - Push the knob as far as possible until you feel the "latching" kick in, old it there...
    - Using gauge feeller, thick paper or thin carton, stack until you fill the gap between the knob and the pickguard, you can repeat the previous step until you know you have the thickest stack and you're still able to latch and unlatch it.
    - Now using the thickness you came up with, remove the knob, losen the top nut and unscrew the inner nut untill the expose thread match the thinkness you measured.
    - Reinstall the knob test the latching...
    - You may need to adjust a quater turn in or out of the inner nut until you get it as low as possible....

At this point this is as low as the push push pot will allow you to be....

Good luck !

17. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That’s a lot of instructions for a guitar that is $2000 here in Quebec

18. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Agreed, it shouldn't be required for a guitar of that price... however, it's really a 10min exercise... Let's just say I was really detailed, I could have been more succinct..

Still beats shipping it back to sweetwater if that's all there's wrong with it !

19. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Here's a Plan B if it continues to bug you.

1. Ditch the push-push and replace it with a regular pot for the tone control part.
    2. If you're determined to keep the original pickguard pristine, buy another one on Amazon or eBay. About 15 bucks.
    3. Also buy a mini DPDT toggle switch , a stand-alone job.
    4. Drill the right size hole in the pickguard of your choice, say equidistant between the tone knob holes, then fit the mini switch, wire it up like the original push-push. Job done.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  20. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I didn't read all the posts, but it is generally possible (and easy) to adjust pot heights. You might have to buy yourself a nut or some washers or sumthin'. One thing about Strat knobs, though: they can be a little tough for these old hands anyway to yank upward. I put Gibson speedknobs on most stuff. They work nice, for push-pulls and otherwise, and they're kinda pretty in the amber color. I guess pinky-rollers might have to adapt. I use a volume pedal.

[​IMG].