Join Strat-Talk Today

Just got my first American Std. Strat — setup question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by draelyc, Apr 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

Hi, folks - 1st post. :)

I recently got a good deal on a 2008 American Standard. I’ve been playing guitar for many years, but this is my first real Strat. So I’m trying to set it up similarly to my other guitars (two USA Hamers and an old Ibanez RG), all of which have much larger fretboard radii (14”) than the Strat (9.5”). Am I right in thinking that I cannot set the action on the B and high E strings as low as on my other guitars without bends above the 12th fret fretting out, because of the greater curvature of the fingerboard?

I’ve read that Fender recommends 4/64” action across all six strings, but I tend to prefer 5/64” on the low E, going down to 3/64” on the high E. But that setup didn’t seem to work on the Strat, at least not at first try.

Thanks for any advice! I’m looking forward to being part of the Strat family! :)

Chris

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!

3/64" is too low on a Strat for most people.....I use 5/64" on all 6 strings so it's nice and even.....also have to set the truss rod / relief to around .010"

We can guide you through a whole setup including bridge decking or floating (your preference) if you'd like.

3. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

Thanks — that’s what I figured. I actually dropped the guitar off at a local shop for a setup when I realized I was having a little trouble doing it myself. Hopefully, it’ll come back playing smoothly. If not, I’ll definitely take y’all up on that offer! :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Andrew Wasson and Guitarmageddon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.