Just inherited $20K, what strat should I get?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Count Glockula®, Sep 22, 2017.

1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

I'd pick a really nice Strat, the one I'd buy if money was not a problem. Me personally wouldnt go custom shop... not my thing. Im just simple... I prolly buy an old american standard strat. One used and thats received a lot of love before me.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  2. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave Strat-Talker

I don't know, but get one just like it for me. ;)

Congrats!

Count Glockula® likes this.
  3. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Spend $2000 on a guitar and bank the rest

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I'd get a really nice, new Strat in honor of his/her memory.

In times where I have inherited a few dollars, I always buy something cool and timeless, a lesson I learned from my family.

-

When I was in high school my oldest uncle was dying of cancer. He gave everyone their inheritance while he was sick (he never had any kids of his own) .

He even gave us the money in cash, because he was worried we might have pay taxes on it or something.

"I give you this money with only one stipulation; you can't pay bills with it or put it in the bank. I want to see what you guys do with it while I'm still here to see you enjoy it." he said.

So being a high school kid, I ran out and bought a Les Paul and a double Marshall stack.

A week later I took the guitar to him so he could see what I spent his money on. I handed the guitar, half worried that it might be too heavy for him to hold.

"Oh my, isn't that a beauty! Really wonderful. Aren't you supposed to plug this thing in?" he said.

"Yeah, I bought a big amp too." I said.

"Well I want to hear it." He laughed.

I went home, and my drummer and I loaded the rig into his van (I only had a tiny car) .
    As we were coming through the door my aunt yelled at us "Don't bring all that in here!".

We set the whole thing up in front of my uncle, maybe 12 feet away.

At a polite volume, I played a pickin' Elvis tune called "Just Because". My uncle seemed unimpressed.

"I thought that thing was really going PLAY something? Turn it up all the way! " he said.

"All the way?" I said dubiously "Okayyyyy"

I had never even had a chance to turn it up all the way yet, so I had no idea what was about to happen. I turned both channels and the master all to 10. My drummer stepped into the doorway, ready to bolt if necessary.

I played the first power chord and the impact actually made me jump. I sound was so thick and growling, I was instant rock star.

I showed off all my riffs and one handed pull offs like a man possessed. My aunt had her ears plugged and was screaming for me to stop. My uncle was all out knee-slapping laughing (probably 1/2 from my aunt and 1/2 from my silly pyrotechnics).

My aunt went outside and was giving me the cut-throat through the windows.

"Kiddo, it's like being punched in the chest!!! I've never heard anything like that in my life!" my uncle exclaimed, grinning ear to ear.

-

Of course I still have that guitar today, and all my friends know it as "Uncle John".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

There is no real upgrade from an 89 American Standard in mint condition.

I totally understand wanting another strat and would be sorely tempted too.

Maybe get a real good set up and possibly a fret level on the 89 and rock on.

If you really gotta have a new strat, just realize "better" is really subjective once you have an instrument as good as a standard. Sure you could pay more and even get an instrument you connect with even more but, no guarantees.

If you find one in person at the store that blows your sox off you may be surprised to see its a MIM not a CS model.

Im not saying MUMs are inherently as good as custom shops, just that amount of money paid for an "upgraded" instrument isnt automatically gonna get you a guitar you connect with.

I probably repeated myself a few times trying to make sure I say what I mean clearly enough.

Elvie, fezz parka and guitarface like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There's your answer . Pay it forward.

7. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-O-Master

Thank the Lord I'm debt free!

8. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Very cool story. Made me smile and then damn if I didn't get something stuck in my eye. Very cool story.

9. Chrissomebody

Chrissomebody Strat-Talker

Awesome story indeed!

vid1900 likes this.
  10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

That was great. Sounds like he was a great man.

vid1900 likes this.
  11. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I'd probably just by nice American vinatage or Eric Johnson strat and pay some bills and make a big donation to the local school music program

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

That is too cool man. [emoji41]

vid1900 likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

It truly is a blessing, especially these days. I'll be thankful when I finally get there.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I dont mean to hammer this....but you've got a 9 month old child. That gift gives you a head start on the costs of raising that child. That would be my priority. :D

15. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

That's the problem with money, if you have it all of a sudden you're into troubles finding a way to spend them.
    Give them to me, so you can relax.

Joking...

Buy an used CS, imho, in case you want the money back in the future you are most likely going to receive back the same amount or even more.

16. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Awesome story man!

vid1900 likes this.
  17. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Put it in the bank. You'll need it to pay for all the things kids need - like daycare.

18. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Best answer yet (acknowledging that depending on where you are in Cali, $20K might be short for a down payment).

19. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-O-Master

I'm in my early 40's. Sorry when I registered, I put in my favorite year by John Moses Browning.

20. RangerJay

RangerJay Strat-Talk Member

Go to a guitar store with a huge selection, and pick the one that strikes your fancy. Maybe visit several shops. Then, buy the one that you like best.

If you don't find one that really suits you, but it's close, then take notes and visit the Custom Shop approach. If you like your current Strat, then you might use that as a blueprint for a Custom Shop build. I have one CS Strat, and it is truly an excellent guitar. However, it is not my favorite. But then, I didn't have it built to my specs. Still, if you know exactly what you want, they will build it exactly how you spec it out. And it will be a well-made guitar.

I have an Eric Johnson model that I got online as a "blem," and it is perfect for me. The blemish? A nearly imperceptible paint error! Otherwise, perfect. Such trivial things are not a prob for me. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's great. By the same token, just because something is inexpensive, doesn't mean it's crap.

amstratnut likes this.