Just Need To Voice Something...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lucius Paisley, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Not so Much, more of a convenience when changing strings, as far as helping tuning stability ? i'm not so sure about that, tuning stability is mostly always associated with a properly cut nut

Lucius Paisley likes this.
  2. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

As I mentioned some of those features may appeal to others and maybe not the next person, but Fender aims at a large target audience, you can think of the new Plus series as a waterdowned or poormans Ultra Series

3. train

train North American Silver Member

Fender marketing whizzes lol. I believe they do things to justify there hi 6 figure incomes . Would like to give you a name to blame but I don’t know who is running things over there now . Since the majority takeover. Kind of standard playbook . Not as bad as apple lol.

WightTrashMan and Lucius Paisley like this.
  4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

:D

Cerb and Stonetone like this.
  5. Lucius Paisley

In short supply over here, definitely. The implication that it's a desperate cash grab... I guess we'll see if that's true or not when they announce their next model.

The Player Plus Deluxe Ultra.

bgmacaw likes this.
  6. Lucius Paisley

As long as they keep away from gold hardware, they might see some more of my money. Eventually.

I can't throw a grand at a guitar just whenever.

publius likes this.
  7. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Fender has TO MANY MODELS! They need to pare down the number of mediocre axes and ramp up quality control! In my humble opinion.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

I think of it like trim levels are on cars. The base model gets cloth seats and the higher end model gets leather.

Stonetone and stormsedge like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Concur...and for me, I usually end up wanting particular vehicle options/items from the base and the higher end models, but cannot order it that way because of the way they are packaged. At least with a guitar, I can buy a particular model at a lower cost and add targeted upgrades to have it the way I want it.

Stonetone likes this.
  10. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @nigelr

I agree that sometimes it can be a bummer
    but in my instance—
    The Player Plus colors were not very pretty to me so am okay not buying one :)

11. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

I can no longer keep up with Fender's model/name changes. If I go into a shop looking for something specifically by Fender, I always preface my question with "I don't know what Fender calls it now, but I'm looking for a ........" o_O I'm starting to see the logic in my wife's advice of "just get the blue one". :)

WightTrashMan, mone, nigelr and 3 others like this.
  12. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

@Lucius Paisley I don't understand why this is a big deal. Why imagine "panic" driving Fender toward the introduction of a new model?

It's likely that Fender has what's known as a product roadmap of models, features, pricepoints, and release dates. That's done by most successful manufacturers. The roadmap evolves to suit circumstances and strategies. That's done by most successful manufacturers.

Cerb likes this.
  13. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Locking tuners are $50, and really about $25 after you sell the tuners you replace. The only one I'd be interested in is the s/s/s model in Olympic Pearl ( I already have two sunburst Strats). I'll be patiently waiting for a deal to show up on a used one in the future...they are not going to sell for $999 forever.

14. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

IMHO, I think it is mostly marketing, not panic. They have two (or more) variations of a guitar model. They add "upgrades" to a model to increase sales. There will always be a new and improved.

Same thing happened with the Strat Ultra earlier this year. They came out with the Ultra Luxe less than a month after I purchased my ultra. The Luxe is several hundred dollars more. The new model somewhat explains why my local store offered me a significant discount on the "plain" Ultra. I like the SS frets on the Luxe but otherwise - mew.

No different than car makers....

PS. I wouldn't swap my Ultra for a Luxe - even.

15. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Love the Strat you're with.

publius, AdrianCD and BuddyHollywood like this.
  16. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

Wow. Fugly!

Glad I have my player series in Sonic Red and Polar White. The Tequila Sunrise is just awful and sorry but that person holding that guitar in the Fender ad with the band Destroy Boys won't help sell guitars either. Get a smile girl. I get that musicians are supposed to look moody but find someone who makes playing guitar look like fun if you want to drive sales.

NC

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  17. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The Player series is a great seller and isn't going anywhere at the moment; the new Player Plus series is a revamp of the prior "Deluxe" series. I suppose Fender's marketing team found the simple - but descriptive - "Deluxe" name to be boring, so they decided to play off both the popular "Player" name and make an homage to the old "Plus" models of the late 1980s through late 1990s (the old Lace Sensor "Plus" series was replaced by the American Deluxe series in the spring of 1998).

So look at it this way - a rough comparison of Fender's MIM lineup to their USA lineup shows how the products "tier" - but of course the USA is at a higher price:
    • no current MIM series --> American Performer series
    • Player series --> American Professional II series
    • Player Plus series --> American Ultra series
    • Vintera series "vintage-spec" models --> no current USA version
    • Vintera series Modified models --> American Original series
    At least I consider the Player series specs to line up better with the American Professional II series; at the moment there is no MIM that lines up with the American Performer series.

As for the fade colors - everything old is new again - a 1982 Strat in the blue "stratoburst" color I found on Reverb:

[​IMG]

Fender used these "stratoburst" colors on the 1982 Standard Strats (the "Smith Strats") and "The STRAT" models and again on the 1983-84 Elite/Gold Elites.

jwag and Cerb like this.
  18. Lucius Paisley

It's funny. I'm seeing comments about how Fender is trying to compete with Ibanez by "introducing" these fade colours. Interesting to see the origin.

19. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

The Player Plus 'upgrades' aren't anything new. The new Player Plus series replaced the MIM Deluxe guitars, which in turn had replaced the Deluxe Player's guitars, which I believe had been around at least since 2005 or so.

Ebidis likes this.
  20. Lucius Paisley

They're really trying THAT angle? Wow. I take everything back. I'm very happy to have my Capri Orange Player guitar. Screw the bells and whistles of anything else.