Just Need To Voice Something...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lucius Paisley, Sep 20, 2021.

1. publius

publius Strat-Talker

I am happy with all me Fenders, bought new, used and confused but still damn'ed happy. I have not even looked at the Player Plus models or specs. But if the radius of the fretboard is 12 I would not prefer that neck. So maybe something else? Whatch'a cooking up now Fender? Turntables?

Exhead likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

You don't have to look very far back into Fender's (or any other manufacturer's) history to see that the constant yearly updates are something to be expected. You just jump in when you are ready, and then stay away from the catalogs for a year or so, or untill your budget allows for another guitar.

3. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

Just spend a few hours or whatever it takes at Fender's website. Where it gets even more confusing is when you're considering several brands and have to make comparisons. Price points generally put me into what model series I can consider anyway.

I think part of the naming conventions are more to justify price increases. People go crazy for a $20+ increase on an existing model, the new model muddies that as something different for the features that a consumer has to identify or even guess at the differences.

I usually start with a self made Excel/Calc spreadsheet that has categories to compare components of the guitars. Creating your own summary is due diligence as a consumer.

4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

It's not an upgrade to the Player series. It's a downgrade to the Deluxe series. That market gap between "regular mexico" and "bottom of American" was filled... they've just put changed what was sitting in that gap and made a big noise about it.

I watched a few reviews on launch day, and pretty well all emphasised the difference between these and the Players. Darrell Braun was one of the few who raised it in comparison to the Deluxe.

So.. the Roadhouse, Nashville and Deluxe HSS were kicking around for a few years. I have a couple of guitars that started life as a Roadhouse and a Nashville (and a Strat that started as an earlier MIM Lone Star) but I'm one of those people who play Fender Lego so none are quite what they were... but they came with Noiseless pickups, 12" radius board, locking tuners... same as the Player Plus. The Nashville and HSS came with narrow tall high whatever frets which feel different to medium jumbos, but personally I don't mind either.

What all three guitars also came with was a contoured heel... same as found on the American Pro II (and the Jim Root Strat, Cory Wong Strat, etc etc)... which for people who like to reach above the 19th fret does make a difference.... and that was removed from the Player Plus.... presumably to push that feature as exclusive to American made guitars, and make their JIT body assembly easier. In the days of modern CNC I think it's a false economy... but hey... I don't work in Fender's marketing department.

So no... you haven't missed out. Locking tuners are great but you can pick up a set for US$50 and sell the old ones on ebay for half that. I pulled the noiseless pickups out because I don't like them... Noiseless pickups aren't an "upgrade"... they're an alternative... personally I rather spend he money on a nice set of single coils to replace the Player standards... but I don't play on a stage rig with a 1.21 gigawatts of lighting... so it boils down to the neck... and personally I've replaced 3 of my 4 deluxe necks with American compound radius necks (2 x Jim Root on the Strats, 1 x Elite on the Telecaster)... and I've found guitars that suit my playing. Not everybody likes a 12" radius board... and for that... there's the MIJ around the same price point.

Players are great guitars. If you are happy with the neck and fretboard radius, pick up some locking tuners and go to town on it. With the price gap between the Player and the Player Plus, you have an entire world of pickups to choose from without having yet another set of noiseless pickups to try to sell.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    diogoguitar likes this.
  5. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Daphne blue, Lake Placid blue, Miami blue, Forrest Blue, Sonic blue, Transparent blue, Blue burst, Tidepool, Dark Knight or Ocean Turquoise?

Exhead likes this.
  6. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

Yes. The blue one. Up there beside the other blue one and to the left of the blue one. No, not that one. Below that blue one. Ok, does it come in black?

7. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

I'll keep all that in mind, thank you.

diogoguitar likes this.
  8. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

hey fellow lefty

don't feel left behind with with this player plus thing. It's what @systolsys said... if you have a player that you like, get the parts that really interests you in the "plus" and sell the original parts... there is nothing magic to the "plus" series

I find crazy how this Player series was $650 a couple of years ago, and this "plus" one is $999 with not that much of "upgrades". Save your money for something better

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

As far as those locking tuners are concerned, they do speed up re-stringing, but That's the only difference I've noticed.

Mikeylefty likes this.
  10. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

I personally prefer the Player Series to the Player Plus model. I do not own either, but have played several of both examples and without question I preferred the Player Series every time. That said, I liked both series….just like the Player better.

11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I think it's the other way around...the Player series have been a great success so they decided to expand the line and have a model that addresses modern requirements.It's a bit like the Player series are loosely based on the American Standards of 2008-2012 but now built in Mexico.So it seems they are loosely bringing back the 2000s era USA Deluxes to be built in Mexico too now.

12. WightTrashMan

WightTrashMan Strat-Talker

Mmmmmm….Grass.

13. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

Just from my understanding of the 2 products, the Player Plus has quite a few different features. Obvious ones, the Plus has noiseless single coils, also has a 12" radius fretboard not a 9.5. Plus has the locking tuners as standard, the tone knob is also a push-pull upgrade. One is more traditional Strat, the Plus has some modern Strat features.

14. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Standard sales strategy: Reduce the buyer's decisions and close sales faster and more often.

But I agree... I don't want to pay for a whole package to get an option or two out of it.

stormsedge likes this.
  15. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

One other difference (it's mentioned in a few other posts in this thread) is that the Player Plus has a wider nut width - they are 1.685" (like an American Performer, American Professional/Pro II, or American Ultra) while the Players have the 1.65" nut width.

Jimbo99 likes this.
  16. hecubus

hecubus Strat-Talker

Marketing. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me like there have been more strat models introduced in the last 10 years than the 50 years prior combined. The internet introduced modding to a whole new audience and Fender is trying to cater to whatever mod preference you might have.

17. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Got any idea how many models of Strat there have been over the decades?
    I should say model "names" for Strats over the decades.
    It's like the lottery. There are X possible numbers to choose from and there are Y slots to fill so there are Z possible combinations.
    It's a brilliant marketing scheme.
    All they gotta do is roll the dice and get a new combination of parts and call it a new model and people will eat that sh!t up.

18. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

Fixed that for you :)

19. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

20. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

I disagree with the OP.

1. Player is an entry level Fender and it needs to be sold at competitive price, while still being a high quality instrument, which it is.
    2. Not everyone needs locking tuners and certainly not everyone wants noiseless pickups (especially when they're made by Fender). The Player Plus model does what many other Fender lines did, past and present. It's a modification of an existing mass production line for a certain niche category of buyers who want to see certain boxes ticked. Just like Vintage Hot Rod instruments, Vintera Modified, or my first Strat—the Standard Plus Top—it won't come even close to the sales of the line it's based on (Player in this case). The latter also explains why these lines are often not available for lefties. Left-handed availability is almost always dictated by production volume of each model.
    3. Fender locking tuners are inexpensive and are a drop-in replacement for Standard, Special, Professional, Player guitars. Very easy to swap them on your own.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021