Just played my buddie's brand new Traditional Pro LP... It was terrible.

DiamondDan

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 14, 2020
Minneapolis
He was so proud of it I didn't have the heart to verbally tear it apart, but I FELT like it...

It is a beautiful guitar, to be honest. Wine red. I was dying to play it. 10's on it. It's what I'm used to string-wise. The action wasn't terrible, but the fretboard was dry as a saltine. It just felt so rough to play, like the frets hadn't been polished properly. I really had to fight it.

Not sure what else I can say. It just felt terrible. I was really expecting more from a 2k+, brand new guitar.

I knew it was horrible at the time, but the true reality sunk in when I went home and played my 1974 Aims bolt neck LP. The difference was night and day (and about 1900 bucks.)

Just felt the need to vent my dissatisfaction. I am by no means a Les Paul afficionado, and I realise that this is most likely not typical. I own one, and a 70's copy, at that. I really expected more from a brand new 2,100-dollar guitar. To be fair, other than my father's SG (which I kinda felt the same way about), it's the only Gibson electric I've ever played. Take it as you will, just had to share my thoughts.

Dan

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
He was so proud of it I didn't have the heart to verbally tear it apart, but I FELT like it...

It is a beautiful guitar, to be honest. Wine red. I was dying to play it. 10's on it. It's what I'm used to string-wise. The action wasn't terrible, but the fretboard was dry as a saltine. It just felt so rough to play, like the frets hadn't been polished properly. I really had to fight it.

Not sure what else I can say. It just felt terrible. I was really expecting more from a 2k+, brand new guitar.

I knew it was horrible at the time, but the true reality sunk in when I went home and played my 1974 Aims bolt neck LP. The difference was night and day (and about 1900 bucks.)

Just felt the need to vent my dissatisfaction. I am by no means a Les Paul afficionado, and I realise that this is most likely not typical. I own one, and a 70's copy, at that. I really expected more from a brand new 2,100-dollar guitar. To be fair, other than my father's SG (which I kinda felt the same way about), it's the only Gibson electric I've ever played. Take it as you will, just had to share my thoughts.

Dan

You cannot judge a guitar that has never had a proper full pro setup, including fretboard edges, nut slots, and conditioning the fretboard......

I'd highly recommend your buddy get that done.....

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South

Dan
I’m not a LP fan , vent away.

DiamondDan

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 14, 2020
Minneapolis
You cannot judge a guitar that has never had a proper full pro setup, including fretboard edges, nut slots, and conditioning the fretboard......

I'd highly recommend your buddy get that done.....
I was thinking about your comment for a while, and while I agree with you, why was this not done on a two-thousand-dollar guitar from thw factory?

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.

Dan
Feel bad for your buddy and admire your restraint.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking about your comment for a while, and while I agree with you, why was this not done on a two-thousand-dollar guitar from thw factory?

It was, but then it left the factory, got shipped around a couple times, had temp and humidity changes, went to a drier environment, and got all out of whack on setup and fretboard humidity.....

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

Dan

That's not surprising TBH. Id be willing to bet my two $250 LP copies both came to me LOADS better than any non-Custom shop model Gibson. They are perfectly playable right out of the box. Literally needing nothing but tuning up. Action at 3/64ths & 3.5/64ths, no relief, nut cut great, intonated, etc...etc...

Things I literally see EVERY LP owner complain about when they buy one. My guitars were set up so good that maintenance/repair-wise, I've done nothing to the gold top at all since I got it 20+ months ago. Just put strings on it.

Same goes for the one I got in February. It literally couldn't have been any better except for maybe the low E nut slot was cut too low by that smallest amount. The guitar still plays great and it really doesn't even need a nut. It can get by with this one fine. A new one would only let me lower the action a little more and it's fine where it is. I have zero neg effects from it.

TBH, getting crappy guitars is what keeps me from buying used over the internet. Before I bought the most recent Indio with the Burst finish, I was considering picking up a white Epiphone so I could make a standard sized Buckethead signature clone.

But I never could actually go through with buying a used guitar since I was afraid of getting stuck with some POS. And I found a few really good deals. Even one guy that supposedly had a set of Slash signature SD's in one. They ended up being fake, I think.

But no matter how good it looked in pics, I just couldn't ever convince myself to go for one. So I stuck with what I knew would get me a stellar guitar... I ordered another Indio 66 DLX Plus. Little did I know that this latest one would be even better than the gold top I already had.

Off-Topic-

Speaking of that gold top, I got an email from my Acct Manager at Monoprice with a liat of all of their products at "End of Life" and how what they're selling the last of everything for. It's a 93 page Excel file. So I searched for guitar stuff and came across a few things. I was hoping they'd have the 5w amp listed with a nice discount or something good like that but no dice.

All I really saw was my gold top. They're discontinuing it after they're gone this time. It makes sense. It's built a little different than their current LP-style guitars. My pots are closer together on the gold top vs pots in the normal position on the other LP-style guitars they sell. It also has a matte finish on back while the others are gloss.

Last edited: