Just played the new 2017 American Pro Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Dec 2, 2016.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I walked into Strait music here in Austin and they recieved some of the new American Pro series Strats that are replacing the American standard series.I always the thought the American standards of the last few years were terrific guitars and was surprised that Fender decided to drop them.I tried the black one with the rosewood fretboard and I must say it is a really nice guitar.I won't say superior to the previous American standards but I did enjoy the newer neck profile which is a bit thicker than the previous ones but not really what I would consider chunky.They seem to have added a bit more shoulder on the edges rather than significantly fatten up the neck.It reminds me of some Mexican standard series necks which sometimes have that slightly chunkier feel compared to the older American standards.The pickups sounded really nice...very classic vintage inspired tones.The body shaping was extremely sleek and rounded on the edges much like a typical pre CBS era Strat would have.It really feels like Fender is trying to blend the classic vintage and modern details into these guitars...almost like buying a vintage reissue(the mint green pickguard on the black body gives that vibe a bit) but with modern enhancements.I own enough guitars so I don't plan on buying one(at least for the moment...ha!ha!)but that black one I tried would be the one to get for me.Fender is really making nice guitars these days.

[​IMG]

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Love the look of that sea foam green, maple neck on the right! I hear it scream ''Buy me!!''.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Colors look nice, thanks for the 1st report!

s7henry and sonny wolf like this.
  4. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Agreed! :)

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Tazz3

Tazz3 Strat-O-Master

Very nice whats the price on these ??

6. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I agree with your agreement.

7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

$1399

8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Strat-O-Master

Thats not a bad price thank u

matlor likes this.
  9. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's sonic grey.

10. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Is that what that is? I like it! :)

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Bummer (for me) about the "bit more shoulder" part of the revision. I absolutely hate D profile (wider shoulder) necks. I've got a 2014 Standard for sale due to this issue.

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A $100 price increase like they recently did with the MIM Standards ?

13. fender_champ

fender_champ New Member!

I wonder if there will be any changes to the MIM line. New colors, possibly to match the Offset series? I am loving the new color options.

14. o6 oly white

o6 oly white Strat-O-Master

Cool, am I looking in the wrong place? Theyre not even on the fender website yet, let alone sweetwater, or musicians friend. I want to try one

15. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They won't officially be released until Jan. But some dealers have stock already and can sell in store but not advertise online

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

I think the new colors are pretty smooth myself. What I don't like, is that I have to get a certain "style" to get the color I want. I wouldn't mind getting the Duo-Sonic HS in that nifty orange color, but that's not possible for some odd reason. Not only that, but I don't want a mint green, or what-ever it is pick guard. I'll take a sexy white one.

On topic: I am very interested in getting a Start "upgrade", as I feel stupid for selling the Strats I had in the past for nothing more than a handful of magic beans. I want to jump on what's left of the American Standards, but I just can't do it right now, so the American Pro just might have to be "it" for me. That's if I like the ones I try. I am completely satisfied with the two of my MIM Standard HSS Floyd Rose Strats. They play just as good as any of the high end guitars I have owned over the past few decades of playing. Still, I fell my GAS is calling out to me, telling me a need to get a Strat made in California.

Thanks to the OP. Cheers!!!

17. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for your report.

sonny wolf likes this.
  18. Londonbus

Londonbus Strat-Talk Member

I've had one (Professional Stratocaster) for the past couple of days to play around with. I absolutely love the profile of the neck. But the new pickups?... I hate them. I believe they are a Shaw designed single coil with different magnet types for individual polepieces (Or something like that... something esoteric).

They are VERY VERY transparent... Meaning they show every aspect of your crap playing technique (of which I have plenty). They just seemed stupidly sensitive, and I have spent hours setting this these up over the past couple of days. The guitar is beautiful, but I officially am not a fan of the new pickups. The pickups have a very distinct character... Just not one I'm a fan of at all.

I'm all about the SLIGHTLY (barely) more D neck profile though. At least on the maple necked Stratocasters.

The "Sonic Grey" has a slightly more blue hue in person than any online photos I've seen yet.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Jigglebone, johnnymg and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  19. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

That's why the 50s era V neck is my go to stay with neck. That narrows down the choices greatly. Unless I go partscasters. Several of those are in the works.

johnnymg and Kester like this.
  20. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Stay tuned. Sonny does some of the best reviews on the site. I mean he does magazine worthy ones.

sonny wolf likes this.