Just scored on this Tele today. Worth trading?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Shockmaster, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I’m a strat guy. Well really I’m an acoustic guy. But I love me a good strat. I had a 1986 E series MIJ strat as my main and only Electric guitar. A local guy offered me $1500 (rediculous I know) So as much as I wanted to keep it, I couldn’t say no to that. Today I was cruising around local for sale sites and I stumbled across a MIM tele. It’s a different one. Double humbuckers, blacktop, maple board and a really nice fender TSA hard case. Also came with a little 10w fender practice Amp, nice leather strap and an instrument cable. It was listed at $180 and they posted it 2 minutes before I saw it. Told them I would come down right then and all of a sudden the price was now $300, then $400. Figured. She responded to me and I said I wasn’t looking to spend $400 and I randomly throughout $200 on a whim. She said yes! And I was on my way with my mask and gloves flying down the freeway. 3 minutes away and she’s telling me people are offering her $350 and $400 and asked if I could do $300. I said I had already hit the ATM and was 2 min away, and if she wanted to hold out for more, I understood. She said come take it for $200. So, picked her up and WOW is it beautiful for an MIM fender. Really beautiful shine to the neck and fantastic condition. Almost new. Still had the plastic around the pic guard screws and strings seemed new (took them off anyways) action is great and the neck has some really nice jumbo frets. Never played one with this configuration. Is it some different edition? Well, I’m thinking I may trade it for another strat. Wondering if this is a little more expensive than your tele standard and if it’s worth a straight across trade for a Strat standard? Either way, I think I scored. I’ll give away the amp and I’ll enjoy this until someone comes along with something I like.

Attached Files:

2. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I think it's a partscaster. It looks like the body is mostly based on a 72 Deluxe, but the controls are wrong (they'd be at home on a Muddy Waters tele). I wonder what the routing looks like? The neck is a plain old MIM standard tele neck (a 72 deluxe would have a 70s era big headstock strat neck).

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Sparque

Sparque Strat-Talker

I agree.

It's a very cool guitar, and worth $200 or $300 or more, no doubt.

But I can't recall an HH Tele with that pickup set.
    (With the plastic bezels around them.)

I found some old 2010 Blacktops, but the chrome covered pickups weren't framed.

Somebody put that guitar together from a variety of parts, I think.
    Or maybe they just changed the pickups.

Oh, heck.
    I don't know.
    ;)

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Blacktop for sure. If you were closer I'd make you an offer on it.

Nadnitram likes this.
  6. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

3bolt79 and bsman like this.
  7. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I never understood why they didn't wire those the same way as the HH Blacktop Strat (i.e. with coil-splitting option). Otherwise, great score! I seem to remember those were right around $4-500?

8. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

Reading the musicradar article, the pups can’t be split - surprised at that as those on the player are.

bsman likes this.
  9. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Gorgeous. I'm primarily an acoustic player myself, but I love me some Telecaster!

dublindave8456 likes this.
  10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Blacktop Tele. Great guitar. Doesn't hurt your ribs.

Pickups can be a tad muddy, but great playing guitars.

11. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I just sold a "blacktop". Mine did NOT have the reverse control plate. Whatever, it's certainly worth the $200!