Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

JV advice!

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by After_Advice, Jun 15, 2017.

1. After_Advice

After_Advice New Member!

Jun 14, 2017
    Swindon
    IMG_2308.jpg IMG_2309.jpg IMG_2310.jpg IMG_2311.jpg IMG_2312.jpg IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2308.jpg IMG_2309.jpg Morning,

I'm potentially in the market for an early 80's JV, and I just want to know if anyone can give anymore info on it before I jump it (is it all original etc.)

I'm lead to believe is a 57 issue, but no idea as to the exact model. Serial number JV12***.

Any help would be awesome,
    Charlie

James Graham and stratlt like this.
  2. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    May be better off in the Squier part of the forum?

3. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I just purchased one myself. A 1982 JV model. It arrived yesterday!

The one you’re thinking of purchasing looks like it’s a Squier neck attached to a newer 57 reissue body. JV Squier pickguards are 3 ply with 11 screws vs the 1 ply 8 screw version typical of 54 and 57 strats. The Made in USA sticker inside the pickguard is also suspicious. Check out 21frets.com. There’s a lot of information about vintage Squiers on that site.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Here's some pics of mine for reference.

FullSizeRender 11.jpg FullSizeRender 12.jpg FullSizeRender 9.jpg

Fendereedo, stratlt and skypeace like this.
  6. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    The body and neck are correct.
    This is a transition guitar, from the 1st issue sen body with truss rod rout and first of the Squier decals (export).

The pots are not original, though certainly the middle and neck pickups look correct (early red and an SQ Japan (long story).

The pickguard looks new with that sticker?

Looks like it had the bridge pickup replaced at some time?

Not totally original, but a very handsome early body.

:)

guitarman1984 and mad axe man like this.
  7. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Is that true? I've swear I've seen plenty of the 57 style JVs with 1 ply

8. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Yeah, it's 3 ply 11 hole for the '62 vintage JV models and single ply 8 hole for the '57 vintage models....as it should be.

mad axe man likes this.
  9. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Rockape ???

Could those pickups be the Fullertons. Ive seen 82 AVRI with 3 different bobbin colors. And also several other combinations.

There are 3 different bobbin colors. Grey, Black, and Red in that guitar.

10. Rob Moreno

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I know there are JV strats with 1 ply ('57 models), but I thought that all the JV Squiers had 3 ply. I could be mistaken.

11. After_Advice

After_Advice New Member!

Jun 14, 2017
    Swindon
    IMG_2314.jpg Thanks for all the help. Found this bit of info ref pickups, pots and switch.

mabley123 and James Graham like this.
  12. James Graham

James Graham Strat-Talk Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Moncton N.B. Canada
    Snap it up!!! Its a beauty!!!

13. Fairlane 63

Fairlane 63 Strat-Talker

Dec 12, 2016
    Campbell, CA.
    Agree with James, buy it if the price is right!

14. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Looks nice.... As already stated that's a transitional JV, the body is for sure a 1982 JV due to the route between neck pickup and neck heel!!!

15. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    The first batch of pickups sent to Japan from the Fullerton plant (for the first domestic Fenders), were the reds and greys (AVRI).
    Full AVRI pickguard assemblies were also sent to Fujigen for the top line ST-115s.
    A batch of X-1s (last of stock) were also sent.
    The X-1s are usually (unlike AVRI's) found as a full set of three (usually!).

All these pickups were also used for the export Fender (Squier series), and also the transitional export guitars (Fender to Squier).

By the time the JV1 serials were roughly a third of the way into production, the new black bobbin (cloth wire) Fullertons were about to replace the reds and greys, so Fender kept their reds & greys (early X-1s used up by this time) for their high end domestic models.

Meanwhile the Japanese SQ pickup (bright un-laquered / un-potted formvar windings) was in production, and this temporarily replaced the Fullerton pickups on the exports; as soon as the new black & cloth units arrived (possibly late fall of 1982), they went back to fitting the new Fullertons on the Squier brand exports.
    The arrival of the domestic Squiers in October 1982, had the SQ-4 and SQ-5 pickups (exports back to correct spec).

So an early JV1xxxx will very likely have a mix of pickups and a sen body. Conversely (and a rare sight), I have seen a late JV07xxx numbered 1st issue Fender Squier series Strat with a basswood body and SQ pickups.

Earliest Squier brand I have seen (in person) was a late numbered JV08xxx, which had a American grey and two reds.

Expect a real mixture around the transional period JV078..ish, to JV15..ish

16. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Interesting, mine's JV07673. I think the body is alder (as you'd expect, I believe).

17. Rockape

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    They were said to have alder bodies early on, but by far most I have seen are made from Japanese sen.

Sen is easy to spot, as it has a silvery sheen to it as you move it in the light; strikingly visible and then almost invisible (if you get my meaning).

Alder export and domestic Squier brand bodies are out there, but less common than sen and basswood....in my experience.

One of the first magazine reviews stated the demo guitars as having alder bodies (maybe?).

18. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 5, 2016
    England

Hm, interesting - I'm not sure there's a "sheen" exactly but you can see patterns on the surface changing as you move it in the light, subtly. I still have the Sounds magazine review of the first of the "Squier Series" JVs which actually prompted me to buy mine. Will dig it out later and see what it says, though it could be wrong in any case.