Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Katana 50 vs 100

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by GoodGolly, Apr 24, 2017.

1. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm impressed with the 50; haven't yet heard the 100 in person.
    Possible advantages to the 100 1x12 that appeal to me:
    - effects loop, line out
    - better speaker - better bass?
    Possible big disadvantage:
    - might only ever use the .5 watt setting; 25w is going to be loud at home; wondering if 50w is even usable. (The 50 does .5, 25, and 50; the 100 does .5, 50, and 100.)

So what do you think - is the 100 worth considering for the home player? Does it sound better to you? Can the volume be managed effectively or is it just over kill?

barryern likes this.

2. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    For the home player...

Get the 50.

The .5 setting is WAY louder than you think. You could easily do a crowd of 100 at a small church, coffee shop or tavern no problem. Large noisy bar type setting with a heavy drummer is the only time you'd need to hit 25/50.

The bass response is fine IMHO. Some owners actually complain it's too bright out of the box until the speakers broken in or it's EQ'd to taste.

Effects loop. With dozens of Boss pedals available through Boss Tone Studio, the Sneaky Amp Patch and another patch a guy wrote to simulate a pedal board your pedals can take a vacation.

For $130 more the slightly beefier speaker and 100w would only benefit at large indoor venues or outside IMHO.

Hope that helps.

The-Kid and GoodGolly like this.

3. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I appreciate the reality check. There's a principle in my work I try to live by -YAGNI - you ain't gonna need it. I'm thinking I should stick to that.

Cheers!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. noizyb

noizyb New Member!

Apr 12, 2017
    Virginia
    I've read tons of the "should I get the 50 or 100 posts". I'm primarily a home player. I played both. It's not about whether you need the extra power for me. One amp sounds drastically better than the other. I played them both repeatedly, side by side...from the quality of the speaker to the overall "richness" of the response, there is a difference...though certainly everything is subjective.
    Yes, the 50 will be loud enough for lot's of gigging situations. But I wanted the one that sounds better. I rarely play it outside of 0.5 on the power setting, but I don't regret getting the 100 for sure.

GoodGolly, Ditchgator and johnnymg like this.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    ^^^^^ This

The 50 (vs 100) only makes sense from an economic perspective and small weight/size difference.

Go big or stay on the porch! :D

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    noizyb and GoodGolly like this.

7. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Presence control.more channels and more flexibility.
    I as well am targeting the 100.

GoodGolly likes this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness Powered Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I've played my Katana 50 with my old band, it kept up just fine on the 25 watt setting, I'm not even sure I needed that. I don't have need of pedals or line out, as I've always mic'd my amp for gigs. I didn't need to spend any more than the £165 that it cost me.

wildhawk, Ditchgator and GoodGolly like this.

9. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Nuts! Thought I had this solved. :)

I'm still considering swapping the 50 for a 100. I have to say I really like the 50 and haven't seen a 100 in person.

Ditchgator likes this.

10. noizyb

noizyb New Member!

Apr 12, 2017
    Virginia

Sorry to muddy the waters.... I can only speak to my experience. The 100 was much more satisfying to play, nothing to do with power or loudness.

johnnymg likes this.

11. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Better to have it when you need it than not?
    Good thinking me thinks.

12. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    Same expierience here.

Mic it when I have to. Good old two button footswitch and it's given me all I want.

I could rig a line out if I wanted one without spending a extra $130 to have the factory do it.

Four channel vs. two if you have to have them is the reason for the 100.

13. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Last I checked the full foot pedal does not work with the 50 so I would dish out the additional money for the 100. Maybe they have fixed that I dont know. I have not bought one...yet. Both amps go down to .5 watts so bedroom playing is not an issue.

14. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    This vid is a bit long and rambling but might help making a choice.

No spoilers................ but I did think the 100 sounded better. :sneaky: Or perhaps as Carlin said (parphrased)......... my stuff is great and other people's stuff is sh**. :p

Bob E and GoodGolly like this.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I thought that both amps sounded horrid, but that was likely because of the sounds chosen by the class nerd rather than what the amps are capable of. That video wouldn't sell me either Katana, sorry.

I'm now going to go and have my ears syringed and take Valium ...

16. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

It's interesting to note that Roland advises to dime the master volume and tweak the channel volume to taste. Just the opposite of what I'm used to.
    Hey...whatever works eh?:cool:

17. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Saw that - sounds good that way, but makes me wonder what the master volume is for.

Ditchgator likes this.

18. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I'm almost always on the 0.5W range with the Master at <=3:00 and channel volumes to taste. I would think running the Master at max would force putting the channel volume pretty low.

Have any of you Katana owners tried the 'Master at Max' mode?

Ditchgator and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

19. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I don't do that, it wouldn't work for me at all, too flippin' loud even on 0.5 watts with the 50. I recall seeing somewhere that the 'dime the master' comment was made in error. Setting your maximum volume using your loudest channel and then balancing the two channels (and panel) using the volume works though.

johnnymg likes this.

20. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Good to know.
    I've read that advice twice and saw a video of dealers demo of the people doing it as per advisement of a Roland sales guy who had come in to show them the ropes. Also said it works that way with the Blues cube?
    Perhaps he heard the tech wrong?
    Misinformation happens WAY too easily.

21. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-Talker

Jan 16, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    On the 50, at .5, and using clean with no boost, it's perfectly reasonable to dime master and volume with gain set below about noon (loud-ish at that point, but not so anyone in the house complains) On crunch I have to turn either the gain or volume down quite a bit more, but can leave master wide open.

johnnymg likes this.