Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Katana - is anybody else impressed

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SilvaStrat, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Yeh
    I've had the head for a while...
    Haven't plumbed the computer fiddling at all..
    But
    The fact you can drag it out sans everything..
    And
    In a small space
    Get your pont across..
    Love the dynamic wah...
    Haven't fiddled with the tap thing...

johnnymg likes this.

2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I finally got a chance to play through one two days ago. I used a strat, an ES-335 and an 8 string. With all three of those axes I was quite impressed with the price tag that was attached. The cleans were bassy and had enough chine even though the strats neck pup was a bit TOO low. The ES-335 performed as I thought it should with warm dirt and a great blues feel. The 8-string performed well, though its neck was very muddy. I blame the guitar for this more than the amp. The amp had enough bottom end to pass for a practice amp for the 8-string, though, I would STRONGLY recommend 2 OD pedals to get a a tighter sound, though I think I may be one of the few here who care about this amps performance for metal.

It has PLENTY of gain, More than most people will REALLY need. I found myself turning the gain DOWN to tighten up the low end under hi-gain. You will of course have the young ones "cranking it to 14" but that is NOT needed. It ALMOST gets to "bees in a can" territory. But handles well up until that point. I really liked the extreme range of the EQ knobs. I never felt like I was "Locked" into one good tone. (Unlike the Mesa Atlantic I played afterwards) I am convinced the larger variants are plenty capable to pull off gigs as well as recording. The small one I played did lack the "chunk" for metal rhythm, but I forgave that due to the form factor.

All in all, This was a joy to play up until the teens that came in started playing "wonderwall" on a JCM 2000 and I could no longer get a good read on the dynamics of the amp.

3. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    I had the Katana 50 for a few weeks and found it to be a great sounding amp. I traded it back in only because the Boss software would not work on my computer; it would not recognize my amp.

For the money I don’t think it can be beat.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    What computer/OS doth protest too much?

Do you recall loading this driver: https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowledge_base/215511323/

5. stratosdane

stratosdane Strat-O-Master

Mar 27, 2014
    Denmark
    Lovely tele.
    I have the Katana 50 for a great sounding practicing amp and as spare for gigs, and its getting better as the speaker gets played. I still have to try out the new update

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

6. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek Strat-Talk Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    I played one of these today and almost pulled the trigger. They sound great and require minimal fiddling to get great sounds. I am a previous owner of a Fender Mustang III which was a great amp, but I found myself fiddling more than playing. The Katana has everything you need on the panel. The 100 combo or 2x12 or head into your own speakers would be a great inexpensive gig rig with 5 presets (4 sounds and 1 what you see). That said if you already have a rounded out pedal board I am a fan of tube amps and play a VHT special 6 with two knobs, volume and tone with an old school pedalboard. Love the grab it and play, not grab it and tweak.

The biggest strength of the Katana series is that you can dig in with the computer, but you can also JUST play if you want and still sound really good. Additionally, this rig should be pretty bulletproof for gigging and light. My vote for a gigging amp.

telebluesman67 and tery like this.

7. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    johnnymg likes this.

8. stingx

stingx Strat-Talker

Dec 23, 2006
    Weird, NJ
    Here's a short clip illustrating the sound of the Katana 100w combo recorded via USB into a Focusrite Scarlett. Using my very old '83 Kramer to lay down the tracks.

9. telebluesman67

telebluesman67 New Member!

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia
    I'm really liking mine as well and no I haven't gotten into the internal workings mainly because I like it just the way it is.

the top panel settings are fine for me and I end up using it the majority of the time unless I'm actually working a show then of course I use my Vibrolux Reverb but I am in the back of my mind considering getting a 100 watt 2X12 Katana to possibly replace the Vibrolux Reverb for doing shows just because it weighs less and still sounds fabulous

apm1991 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

10. telebluesman67

telebluesman67 New Member!

Oct 29, 2017
    West Virginia

11. Jbones

Jbones Strat-Talk Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Iowa
    Another great part of the Katana is that you can download specific patches made by other people that "imitate" different amps. I have a fender twin patch as my clean and then I high gain stack as my main gain. Just type "boss katana patches" into the google machine. Then you can download them to your computer and then drag and drop into the editor. It's pretty remarkable really! Such a great little machine!

telebluesman67 likes this.

12. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I just got the 50 a few days ago and I'm liking it a lot. I don't play out anymore so I don't need the kind of quick change capability that you can get with a footswitch and the 100. I'm someone who LOVES presets. Once I dial in a sound, I like to be able to save it, because god knows if I'll ever find the same precise combination again. I'm pretty good at finding sounds I like but not so great at it on the fly, so I actually find modeling amps with presets to be a time-saver rather than a time-sink - I play more and fiddle less once I get through the initial stages with an amp, which I realize is the opposite of how lots of other folks function.

I was initially concerned that having only four presets would be a problem, but you can assign various different boost/OD/distortion, modulation, delay, and reverb combinations to different banks within each preset, so I'm finding that four presets on this amp is at least as useful as eight or more on other amps I've used - I've always found eight discrete settings to be more than enough (although four is a little thin) and the way the Katana presets are set up, these four presets can give me way more than 8 combinations of sounds readily available. The only thing I'd prefer about the 100 is the effects loop, but I'd literally only use it for a looper and I don't use a looper THAT much in ways where it would really matter. I keep my amp on a table in my office/man-cave and the 50 is already really large for the space - the 100 would overwhelm it... And I'd probably never take either of them off of the .5 watt setting, so the power is irrelevant, but if I ever do, I suspect I'd rather have a 25 watt intermediate setting I have on the 50 rather than jumping all the way to 50 as the K-100 does.

I've been using the Vox Adio, which is a tiny little amp about the size of the Yamaha THR10. It's an awesome little amp, but I wanted something a little beefier for my main amp. The Yamaha is now my computer and bluetooth speaker and travel amp - we spend a couple months away each winter and the little guy will come along for the trip... And I may decide to use it as a second amp with the looper and get past any need for an FX loop... Or I may just get an OD pedal to use with the looper...

-Ray

telebluesman67 likes this.