Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

KEELEY Oxblood : the end of my klone quest ?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by usul1978, Nov 16, 2017.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Oh man !

Tumnus with the ability to tame the bass ? High gain switch ? Switchable buffer ?

That ticks a lot of boxes !

The first edition was great for me but the bass end wasn't my thing, but that...

Ok, one last shoot out between oxblood and tumnus deluxe and I'll choose !

Dick Blackmore likes this.

2. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Yea, Wampler had to go and release the Tumnus Deluxe and now I am debating on having "Santa" bring me one for Christmas. At first I was like "No Thanks", as I already have the original Tumnus, but the added options have me intrigued.

You have entered a realm where there is no end. You will forever be chasing the dragon.

Dick Blackmore and Silvercrow like this.

3. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I ordered a tumnus dlx. Just to compare, I swear !

I'll keep you posted on my finds !

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    With all of the great Klones out there it's hard for me to keep up. Until I started with this forum I hadn't even heard of the Tumnus. I have tried several different Klones myself, for example, the BYOC Silver Pony, the Grind Customs Effects Chimera, the EHX Soul Food, but my favorite and the one I settled on was the KWM Klone. It's a one for one klone of the original and has become my go to OD.

tweedlux and Raiders757 like this.

5. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    The tumnus dlx was out of stock after all and the first batch had faulty switches apparently. I'll wait a bit then and take some time with the oxblood first, when it arrives.

6. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Just got the oxblood. First impression ?

The clean boost sounds great very klonish but maybe slightly different (hard to say)

You can get great distortion sounds, very different with the two diodes, with a lot of gain on tap.

The phat switch (boosting the bass ?) is not for me.

Quite a paradox, I like it very much already but it may indicate that the tumnus deluxe is what I'm looking for.

I feel that the more compressed clipping is nice but not for me and the phat bass boost is not my cup of tea... So a Klone with EQ and more gain should be just what I need.

Of course, I keep the oxblood until I grab a tumnus to compare !

Raiders757 likes this.

7. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV

My Tumnus Deluxe is in route as we speak. Should have it by tomorrow. I'll start a new thread once I've had time to play through it.

When you mentioned "faulty switches" were you referring to the buffer switch, normal/hot switch, or on/off switch? Hope there aren't any problems with mine. Really excited about this pedal

I spoke with a sales associate at a music store who informed me he's not seen a pedal generate so much buzz and attention as this pedal has in a long time. He mentioned there's a long list of pre-orders and that it's going to be difficult to keep up with demand in the interim.

usul1978 likes this.

8. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Check the serial. If it has an M in front of it it should be good.

I don't know exactly the cause but the symptoms were :

pop noise when engaging
    volume loss
    problems with some digital delays

I should get mine next week...

9. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    I have the Lovepedal Kalamazoo, also a clone-inspired little bugger. Like the OP I can't stand the drive part of that one. But this one has the possibility to adjust drive and blend seperately, the KLON does this with the same knob.

It does well when you really push the amp, and then ad a teeny bit of OD sprikled on top. But I stands next in line after my modded TS7.

In my opinion 95% of the KLON magic has to do with the dual gang pot that fades more and more overdrive out of the mix the higher the Gain pot gets turned. This is why it ended up on a lot of the pro's boards. It was a simple yet versatile drive that could accomondate different sweet spots on a whole rage of amps.

What's Mr. Finnegan put under the black goo, isn't really that exciting...

Raiders757 and usul1978 like this.

10. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I can see using all those dirt pedals if you’re moving on from Fender clean, but aren’t you a fellow Marshall player? I’m not putting you down or anything. I remember you posting about getting one or two Haze 40s recently. Did you have trouble getting a dirty tone to your satisfaction from just the amp?

No wrong answer or anything, I’m just curious.

11. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    With the Haze 40 I can't say I am a big fan of the overdrive channel. Honestly I am not sure sure I gave it all that much of a chance to impress me. It just seemed a tad too dark and muddy for me. I bought it because I was looking for a tube amp at the time and it was being sold for a good price. These days I prefer to run through clean channel using pedals and such to create different tonal options. That said, when using my old Marshall 3315 head, I prefer the overdrive channel with the added boost of an EQ pedal. Sadly I don't use it that often as I need to pull a little maintenance on it (scratchy pots etc... and it's very loud). Don't really use my little Marshall practice amp anymore, but iy might get relegated to use with my keyboard.

I do have a Fender Mustang III V2 as well. I don't really use the modulation options and instead mainly use the amp emulations with all the mods turned off so I can use my pedalboards instead. Kind of dig using the Fender Twin Reverb modulation that way.

Silvercrow and Stark like this.

12. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Ok, I got the tumnus. The problem is it's a B stock from the first batch...It shows no pop or weird behaviour but could be not 100% functionnal either. I don't know but I have a new one coming soon to compare.

Anyway, it sounds great but compared to the oxblood I feel it lacks some clarity and definition, with a boomier kind of sound. The clean boost is nicer for me on the oxblood, but it's hard to describe...

You can tweak the EQ on the wampler, that's great but I feel the oxblood is clearier all around. Gain wise, the oxblood goes far beyond the tumnus in power and diversity.

Though match, but right now I would say I wil keep the oxblood, even if it lacks the 3 pots EQ.

I gonna wait for the tumnus from the new batch just to be sure though.

Raiders757 likes this.

13. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    After testing another tumnus (the first one was good actually) I decided to keep the oxblood.

The tumnus deluxe is a great pedal :
    - great EQ (I feel the EQ works great to make it sound right, but it adds not really much for me, as I want the usual klon mids bump),
    - classic klon sounds
    but :
    - the hot switch is doing not much and for an all around OD with a bit more punch, it lacks a bit
    - the general "feel" of the sound is not articulate and clear enough to my liking, it's on the "boomy" side.

The oxblood gain sounds much more precise and the boost, which is a bit different, is really great anyway.

So, I leave the klone world (for now ?) and go for Robert Keeley Oxblood !

Raiders757 likes this.