Join Strat-Talk Today

Keep Strat or Tele?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stag, Oct 11, 2019.

1. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

Lol nah... 2 pickups vs 3, 3 positions vs 5, playability thrown in...

No problem in loving a Tele, I do. But no classic guitar will ever equal the strat in versatility.

The Tele, like I said, has more personality, and exactly because of that, it is a more bound guitar... Just see what many guys have done with Teles and what so many more have done with Strats and do the math. :)

The strat is the state of the art electric guitar since they started using 5 positions and a slightly hotter pickup in the bridge...

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

James Burton, Roy Buchanan, Don Rich, Cornell Dupree, Jeff Buckley, Jim Camilongo, Marty Stuart, Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco, Bob Bain, Bill Kirchen, Ed Bickert, Steve Cropper, Ted Greene, Danny Gatton, Jerry Donahue, Wilko Johnson, John 5, Albert Collins...Telecaster. ;)

Part timers include Jeff Beck, Steve Howe, David Gilmour, Andy Summers, Mike Bloomfield, Muddy Waters, Mike Campbell, George Harrison, Elliot Easton, Jimmy Page, even SRV played a Tele.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Stratoskater, RadioFM74 and hornpiper like this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Sorry, we can argue this endlessly so we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Let me just say that “2 pickups vs 3, 3 positions vs 5” is totally immaterial. Fact is that the three pickups of the strat sound much more alike than the two of the tele, which has a much broader tonal palette.

The proof is that the tele is a first choice guitar in a much broader range of musical genres than the strat. Just look at Fezz Parka’s list and “do the math”… or look down here

- Reigning queen of country and western swing, way more used than a strat (no need to discuss here I hope)
    - The premier solid body guitar in jazz (Ed Bickert, Tim Lerch, Ted Greene, Mike Stern, John Abercrombie, Bill Frisell, Sco on and off, Julian Lage … hell even Barney Kessel and Joe Pass have been pictured with one) … can you find as many strat players in jazz of any description?
    - As significant a guitar as the strat, if not more, in soul music (Reggie Young, Cornell Dupree, Steve Cropper, Bobby Womack, Guthrie Trapp, Sheryl Crow and her sidemen ……)
    - As significant a guitar as the strat in all genres of rock music (Keef, George Harrison’s finest period as the Beatles’ guitarist, Prince, Joe Strummer, Jimmy Page, Andy Summers, Jeff Buckley, Graham Coxon, Johnny Greenwood, Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, Tom Morello, John 5, Ritchie Kotzen, Mike Campbell, PJ Harvey, Steve Morse, Chris Shifflett, Wilco Johnson, Robbie Robertson…)
    - A serious contender to “most widely used solid-body” in blues and rock blues, although here I’d say the strat has the edge (tele as sole or main blues instrument: Robben Ford, Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Tab Benoit, Dave Hidalgo, Johhny Lang, Sue Foley…; used in iconic solos by the likes of Billy Gibbons, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, BB King in his early years, Mike Bloomfield, Susan Tedeschi, Sean Costello…).

And I’m leaving out a number of tele-legends playing very cross-genre music: Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan, Greg Koch, Jim Campilongo…

“Lol nah” indeed :D

fezz parka likes this.
  4. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

I would find another way to do it! I’d look around for something else to sell....take some cash jobs....

Good Luck

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

Yes, we could keep this going on and on, as most of what you mentioned are actually the exceptions in a sea of strats, except for the country stuff...

Anyway, you voted Tele, I voted Strat.

6. kingclark75

kingclark75 Strat-Talk Member

I would keep the Strat if I could keep only one, just for ease and comfort of playing, you can't beat the Strat

rockon1 likes this.
  7. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

If you gotta have 1 keep the Strat. It's more versatile than the Tele.

8. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talker

If I could only have one I’d keep the strat. But that’s just me.

9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

This is exactly where I come down. A Telecaster's pickups are radically different from each other, and not just in their placement along the string harmonics. Whereas a strat's 3 pickups are virtually the same. No, Strat and Tele don't sound alike. A Strat neck doesn't sound like a Tele neck. Strat Bridge doesn't sound like a Tele bridge. Tele doesn't have a middle (unless it's a Nashville Tele, in which case the middles DO sound a lot alike, the major tonal difference coming from the bridge & saddles). The blend positions on both guitars are totally different from each other.

But let's be real here--versatility is overrated. One great sound is better than 5 or 10 or 12 mediocre sounds. If you can only keep one, keep the one that has your single favorite switch position.

Personally my favorite would be the Tele neck position, that sounds so much like an acoustic guitar when played clean. I'd find it real hard to get rid of that.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

Must have both.

arcticstrat likes this.
  11. bugo

bugo Strat-O-Master

Oh, man, that's a tough one. It is like having to decide which arm or leg to keep. I have one of both. The Strat is a 2010 (Mexican) Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster, and the Tele is a mid-1980s (Japanese) Fender Collectible Series Telecaster, built by the legendary Fujigen Gakki. I don't know which one I like the most. I like the simplicity, ruggedness, honesty and the solid feel of the Tele. I like the versatility, contoured body, glamour and smoothness of the Strat. I like the sound of both, for different reasons. I don't think I could pick just one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EC Strat-boy and arcticstrat like this.
  12. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

If you absolutely can't find a way to have both, then keep the Strat ;)

13. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a no-brainer - keep the Strat

everybody knows this

14. Dunehunter

Dunehunter Strat-Talk Member

Second this. Love my strats and love my Tele; I play the Strats more so that's what I would save. However, the Tele IS more versatile--much better jazz guitar than the Strat, I think.

Repeating: Which one do you honestly play more?

15. Dunehunter

Dunehunter Strat-Talk Member

Oh, and sorry you have to give one up. I know what that's like...

16. EC Strat-boy

Now make your list of notable Strat users......there’s no comparison

17. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

I'd keep the strat. Not because of tone but comfort. Strats are just way more comfortable for me to play.

18. EC Strat-boy

Love that sonic blue Strat - AM pro?

19. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I can live without a lot of things, but not without a Strat. Simple for me , in fact excluding my acoustic, I only want to play Strats so if it was me, no contest.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

20. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

"If you start me up......."

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.