Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Keeping an inexpensive guitar for practice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CalicoSkies, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I currently have 3 Strat-style guitars. 2 are a more expensive variety, and one is a less expensive one, a MIM HSS Strat that I have modded a bit. I've been thinking about selling the MIM to thin my herd a bit, but I've also wondered about keeping that one to use for practicing with Rocksmith, doing mods on, etc., without worrying so much if I ding it, etc. But I also feel like if I have the other guitars, I might as well use them, right? I have them because I like them and enjoy playing them. So, do you think it would make sense to sell the one and keep practicing with the more expensive ones?

79 Vibes likes this.
  2. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talk Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    I have an sg special for this purpose. I paid $400 for it so my 1995 American std can stay at the house.

79 Vibes likes this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    keep them all and play them all. and get more. that makes the most sense to me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    +1

6. Yaralag

Yaralag Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2014
    S Korea
    I always prefer to practice on the guitars I gig with but I play all different kinds of guitars on a regular basis so it probably doesn't matter either way. Keep the cheap one!

Fuzzpop likes this.
  7. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I have a brother-in-law that had a 3000.00 Martin that he loved. He was so afraid of dinging it that he went out and bought another on so he could put the first one in a case. Sounds crazy, but it's true. I try not to damage my guitars, but I also try not to stress over a ding. It's gonna happen eventually, no way to avoid it. My wife has a few dings, I still sleep with her.

8. usul1978

usul1978 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 9, 2015
    France
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I have a beat up Squier 51 up at my mom's place for when I visit. Makes sense to keep one around, especially if you're into trying out new pickups and such or practicing setups/adjustments.

Drennen and CalicoSkies like this.
  10. Braumeisterblake

Braumeisterblake Strat-Talker

Feb 17, 2017
    Wheaton, Il
    Im down to just a couple, but my friend keeping a acoustic at his AZ condo definitely influenced my decision to get a Fender Cd60 acoustic which is great for the money to drag with me.

11. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Keep the best one and play it. Learn to set it up and maintain it as seriously as learning to play it and it will last your lifetime, and you will never have to replace it.

You will never have to worry about a ding or a scratch devaluing a guitar that is played and not for sale if it is "yours".

I can see owning a lesser dollar guitar to take out of the house, but in my living room I ain't compromising!

brians, Rastus, lgleaton and 3 others like this.
  12. crzymtnman

crzymtnman Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2016
    Roanoke, VA
    Sounds like the less expensive one is your favorite and you might just be too ashamed to admit it! :)

I will work my way up to a nicer guitar one day I am sure, however for now mine is the nice one, the only one I just take the rewards and the scars of trial and error on my one beginner Squier for the time being, that and he horror stories the accoustic will tell you.

Rastus likes this.
  13. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Keep your #1 :cool:

79 Vibes likes this.
  14. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    If you play it, I'd say keep it. If it's just sitting there and you never play it, then sell it if you feel the need. I had a faded LP studio that became redundant in my collection and found that as much as I liked it, I never played it. I thought of trying different pickups in it, but I don't have time for that sort of thing. I sold it and got another guitar (a PRS) that I play all of the time.

I try to rotate through my guitars. For instance, I hadn't played my strat in months. Last week I was having a blast rediscovering strat tones and I forgot how much I like the feel of my strat. Then there's my LP standard that went into the shop. Last night I was test playing it and again...forgot how much I like that guitar too :).

Too many guitars and not enough time.

Jacob95amstd, jjudas and henderman like this.
  15. techowiz

techowiz Strat-Talker

Nov 7, 2013
    NY
    Your "practice" guitar is your most valuable:thumb: tool! That's how you sharpen your skills.

Rastus likes this.
  16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Actually no, I rarely play that guitar these days. My favorite tends to be one of the others. That's the reason I'm considering selling the less expensive one.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Strat-O-Master

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    You're the only 1 can answer that. You gonna bum out later about it?
    I just got rid of a few to get 1. It would have been cool to keep them but I wasnt too bummed because I did get a keeper.now I have 3 keepers and a cheap sg to leave out. Others will probably come and go maybe even another keeper.

18. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    You will get less money for the MIM than a refret will cost on your more expensive guitars. So if you play a lot it might save you some fretwear.

19. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2013
    Seattle
    I would always grab my favorite guitar first and that generally tends to be the more expensive models as I spend the money getting them setup properly and they are of better build quality. I would give the cheapo to a needy guitar player.

henderman likes this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2014
    England
    I just play what I have at hand. I take care of stuff, but I don't baby them, they're guitar's they were made for the purpose of playing. My favourite at the moment:
    IMG_0021_kindlephoto-2198042.jpg

21. Bladesg

Bladesg Strat-O-Master

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    My take on it is do whatever makes you feel 'comfortable'.

Only my opinion but I never think about the value of guitar before deciding whether I'll play that one today. I've never considered buying a guitar that I thought would be too precious to play either. We get to do this once and I don't really see the point of owning a mint (case queen) guitar for when I'm in my 70s or 80s