Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Keeping an inexpensive guitar for practice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CalicoSkies, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Mr C

Mr C Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    I'm not at all precious abo T my guitars so they all get played, left on the couch and leaning in corners, kids messing about with them etc. I probably take. A bit more care with my Gibsons because of the foldomatic headstock but fenders, especially Poly coated ones are unkillable

So in short use them all and don't worry about it too much...

Bladesg, CalicoSkies and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I agree with having a "mod platform", a beater or something that can be left sitting out available for play when inspiration hits.
    Also something that if it gets nicked (use whatever definition ...) it won't hurt too bad.

The important factor is that the neck be just as playable as any other ax in the shed.

example - I'm currently experimenting with variations on the Armstrong Strat wiring scheme and don't want to keep swapping pickguards on my nice Strat.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 2:32 AM
    jvin248 and CalicoSkies like this.
  3. Andy Wright

Andy Wright Strat-Talker

Jun 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I don't think you should sell it. No matter what we all like to tinker and try new pickups, strings, wiring configurations, etc.. personally I'd much prefer to mod a MIM than AM. You can use it to learn how to work on your nicer guitars too. And most importantly.. why would you sell a strat?

CalicoSkies and jjudas like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Nothing wrong with keeping a cheaper guitar around, especially for experimenting with mods and setup stuff that you might not want to try for the first time with you're more expensive guitars. But as far as practicing goes, I prefer to practice on my number 1. That's what I perform on so I want to make sure that's where I put the most time in.

All a matter of personal opinion, though.

Fendereedo and CalicoSkies like this.
  6. jeff h

jeff h Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    Wait, you only have 3 guitars? I thing you need a few more before you talk about selling anything.

7. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    What's are not inexpensive guitars for?

If it's not a investment grade instrument quit looking at it and start playing.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I play all my guitars. I have them in a rotation. Works for me. It keeps practice interesting.

9. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I say keep it if you don't need the money. You never know if one of the other ones goes down and you need a backup.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. bish0p34

bish0p34 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 11, 2013
    Alexandria, Va.
    As long as you actually pick it up and play it occasionally, keep it. Play whatever guitar you're in the mood for. I have some expensive and cheap guitars. I play whatever one I'm in the mood to play. Even at gigs.

It changes daily. I have my favorite, but I don't always play it. They all offer something different.

I also don't worry about knocks and dings. That's character. Shows they've been used.

Fendereedo and Rastus like this.
  11. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talk Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    I rotate guitars too. Strat, sg and les paul. Then I'm like "this lp studio isn't my sg" and back on the stand it goes.

12. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    3 Strats; 4 total including my acoustic.

13. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I bought a nice guitar so I would not have to practice on an inexpensive guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member

All my stuff is inexpensive. Duh.

D

15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    100%.

16. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

We're all different, so what pleases us, & makes sense, will be different from one person to the next....

Luck fell my way when I discovered that the Classic Series 1970's replicas were the ones for me, so I have 3-of-them now, & though different colors, all have maple-boards & are set-up identically, so it matters little as to which one I grab, as they're triplets now. This also means the "get-to-know-you" time is pretty much eliminated. ( Admittedly, my black one remains NOS under the bed lol ).

My Strat -Plus offered 15+ years as my only guitar, & it's in semi-retirement. A very different guitar to play than the others, but just as enjoyable too, as there's no ignoring the years spent on the one guitar.

I'm also playing an SG-Special that I can't put down, though it's still relatively new at around 6-weeks old, so who can blame me for enjoying the change after 35-years of Stratocasters ?....

Anyhow, my opinion says that you play the guitar that you want to the most, as that's the one you're guaranteed to pick-up & play anyhow ! And as you can see by this confused & contradicting post, my thoughts have changed a little over the years too. So will yours in all likeliness.

Guitars can always be replaced, even the ones you're attached to more, since the memories etc stay with you forever. Should your most expensive guitar be the one you want to play the most ( but you don't ), then I say pull it out & enjoy it, & don't be scared to take it anywhere, as long as the event is all about music.

Enjoy your guitars,

Rastus

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. brians

brians Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Someone once asked Ferdinand Porsche which is the best Porsche?
    His answer.........The one in your garage.
    What is the point of stressing a expensive guitar and playing a crap one ?
    One never knows what Tom brings ......take and play the best guitar and see if you can play it past its sell by date...bet you can't.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

That is your fun guitar for grab and go playing. Practice at home on your other guitars. Remember that some players dream of upgrading to the MIM you have ... so some perspective...

I would keep this one and buy more pickguards!

Load those pickguards up with a Telecaster 4-way switch set, with a pair of "Filtertrons"/"TVJones", with P90s (may need some slight body hackery, so be careful), lipstick pickups, a different Strat SSS set from your other guitars, a set with the Hendrix Reverse bridge angle (and add the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod). Get some of those pickguards in colors you might not normally be drawn to, like tortoise shell or those engraved Art Deco pickguards I saw someone advertising on all the CraigsLists for a while. If you find a build you play all the time, shift that loaded pickguard over to your others and build a new experiment for this one. If you keep the original loaded pickguard for this one on a shelf, you can always put it back in and sell the guitar. It's handy to have a mod platform.