Keeping Honey-Do Promises

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by pookie613, Jun 11, 2021 at 6:50 AM.

1. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-Talker

Ten years ago I promised my wife that I'd re-tile the kitchen before I croaked. Ten years later, I realized that it hasn't gotten easier to keep that promise, so I needed to get started.

Dang, re-tiling is brutal! I really can't play guitar now because the sanding and scraping concrete is taking its toll on my hands. My knees keep reminding me that I was once younger!

Still, a promise is a promise... Hopefully, it will be over in a few weeks and if it doesn't kill me, I'll be able to go back to my guitar-playing routine. (I'm constantly reminded of Dire Strait's "Money For Nothing".) :(

2. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Ugh. Horrible job.

3. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Bosch makes a wonderful surface grinder with a diamond cup wheel for that leveling work. It has a dust shroud and when hooked up to a vacuum throws all most no dust. Not cheap, but definitely worth the $$ to rent one if you have a vac designed for sanding dust.

Good knee pads and gloves too. Hang in there pookie.

4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Had a similar task that I finally knocked out. Back in 2003, I bought a condo in a 100 year old building. At some point (probably the 1980s), the shower surround had undergone a DIY tile job. I'm selling the unit, so I was finally forced to make a repair.

Eventually, this happened:

[​IMG]

Which turned into this when I cleaned out all the damaged plaster.

[​IMG]

Had to put in new board, clean all the old tiles, and reset. Turned out OK, and was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Hardest part was getting started. I learned a lot of new skills.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 9:51 AM
  5. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talk Member

:makes note to self to squirrel away money to pay for such projects:

6. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

I tiled my bathroom, out of 30 12x12 tiles only 12 did not have to be cut.
    came out good.

7. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

My dad and I learned our lesson when I was in middle school. We decided to retile my shower and it was 2 or 3 weeks of frustration. When it came time to do his and mom's they hired someone.