Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Kenny Wayne Shepherd strat opinions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ledvedder, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I've been on the lookout for a decent sub-$1000 strat. I've been looking at many models (Classic Player 50/60, JV, etc). I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are about the KWS model? I see it has 12" radius, Graph-Tech saddles, "custom" voiced pickups. There aren't any local to me to check out, so I'm hoping you guys can share your experiences/knowledge of this model.

Thanks!

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Its got a christian cross on it and looks kind of lame IMO.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Most Honored Senior Member

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

Thanks for that in depth balanced review chap. :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Also evertime I hear his name I want to say Kanye West Shepard.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Most Honored Senior Member

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I always wonder how somebody I've never heard of gets a signature Strat, but it doesn't tell @ledvedder anything he wants to know.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    I have both the CP 50 and CP 60 and of the 2 I play the CP 60 more than the CP 50.
    The CP 60 has a 12" radius and is very comfortable, it also has the '69 pick ups and they sound good. I have not played the KWS strat so I cannot comment on it.
    If I had to buy one of them it would be the light blue CP 60. It is pretty versatile and it plays well.

8. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I've heard of him since 1995 when his debut album was released.

9. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Strat-O-Master

Aug 1, 2013
    in the basement
    He is one of a million SRV imitations that sprouted up in the mid 90's. He had a hit or two back then but he has mostly been known to his dedicated fans.

10. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    my kws strat has a 12" fingerboard radius, jumbo frets, Graph Tech bridge saddles, the signature is on the back of the headstock, custom-voiced pickups with reverse wound/reverse polarity middle pickup, a racing stripe on black version and a cross on arctic white. great guitar neck is a bit big for my style of playing but it gets a fair amount of play time Ive got the Black one. I prefer the 9.5 radius if I am playing for long periods of time .great guitar IMO :thumb:

11. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I love the look of the light blue CP60 with the rosewood neck, but at the price they're going for, it just seems too much to me for a Mexican strat. I haven't found one for under $700.

12. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    I liked the cross, too bad they are discontinued. They were a cool, different addition to the line.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, that was a classy-looking Strat. I'd have liked to get one, but finances weren't in place.

14. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    I thought so too until I bought it and played on it for a while. They have a pretty good fan base and you don't really need to modify it. I think it's a good buy.

15. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    This old fart knows nothing of the KWS Strat, but 90's SRV clone or not, the boy sure can play in my humble opinion. Damn right he can.. :thumb: