1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Keyboard for an 8 year old, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes I see classified ads upright giving away pianos just asking you to come and pick it up and it's yours.

But I think they want something she can attach headphones to etc maybe some time down the line we can get her proper piano. But I get what you mean:thumb:

crashbelt likes this.
  3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Then you don't want a toy.
    Get something with full size keys and a minimum of gimmicks.
    Something she can grow into, rather than out of.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

I tried my best, I just had a call back from her saying that she saw a keyboard in a store and immediately called it a day and bought it. It's a Yamaha PSR F51, and it wasn't even a music shop just a huge wallmart type store. I just buried my face in my hands. I tried to tell her that probably isn't a good one, actually while talking to her looked up the reviews on it and it didn't look good. But she insisted that it will have to do.

I even offered to pay the extra 60 bucks and together get her the E273 Yamaha as my Christmas gift but she wouldn't have it....

This is how it looks.... Just sad.
    highres_SPSRF51 1.jpg

5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

It’ll be fine.

When I was 8 my cousins left a fan-powered chord organ at my house. I’d never played keys, or guitar for that matter, but I wrote a little ditty on it. If your kid has musical talent and curiosity, that keyboard will bring it out just as well as any other.

6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Let's hope so.

7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

They're not terrible. But a few things let them down - no USB output. You can't plug a sustain pedal into them. Neither the 51 or the 273 are touch sensitive, but the 273 has more in the way of connectivity features.

Not the end of the world. Seriously, if she takes to it like a fish to water and really shows some skills, the next keyboard investment should be considerably higher than a 273 or even a 373. Something with weighted "piano-feel" keys even, where you have all the fun of the rhythms and sounds, but also the feel of a real piano for more disciplined learning.

Or, if the novelty wears off in a month, and the 51 ends up collecting dust, it's very little lost. Probably less than a day pass to Disneyland....

8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Yeah you are right about that.

Thanks for the help guys, you are all very helpful.

Bazz Jass likes this.