Join Strat-Talk Today

Kiesel vs Warmoth quality?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by diogoguitar, Dec 21, 2018.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

hey guys, I'm torn between Kiesel and Warmoth on my next build. Has anyone been able to compare the consistency and fit/finish between these two makers? I've been pretty happy with warmoth so far, but I could use a more sculpted neck joint like what Kiesel offers.
    I know that Kiesel sells you the guitar already asssembled and Warmoth sells you the parts so you assemble it, but I don't mind putting it together. I was just wondering how these two compare in quality. Specs would be nearly identical for the most part.
    Thanks!

circles likes this.
  2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Never heard of Kiesel?

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Keisel used to be Carvin. Not sure why they changed their name.

I had a Carvin for a while. The super slim neck carve did not agree with me. But the overall build quality was good. Fretwork was especially good. Was a bit disapointed in volume knob stiffness. I felt they should have throuwn a better one in there. They ignored it. The sunburst I ordered was very red. After having a Les Paul sunburst, I did not care for the burst they sent. Nothing really wrong with it, it just didnt fit my mental picture of cherry burst.

So, color and volume knob left me scratching my head.

Playability and fret work/set up were outstanding.

Hope that helps.

Percy and diogoguitar like this.
  4. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

ok great, playability is the most important feature for me. What is your baseline? Like, what other guitars you have?

amstratnut likes this.
  5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, at tge time I had an American Lone Star Strat that I sold to get the Carvin.

My baseline may not equal yours. I have a variety of Strats, Gibsons, Epiphones and odds and ends. Been playing for 40 plus years. So, no Im not comparing it to Squier fretwork.

diogoguitar and guitarface like this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Carvin was founded by Lowell Kiesel, and is still controlled by the family. In 2015 they split guitar and bass manufacturing into Kiesel Guitars, I think they're still making amps as Carvin.

I own a Carvin guitar and it's very well built. Neck-through construction, active under-saddle piezo and currently strung with nylons--about as far from a Strat as you can get in an electric guitar. They've got some great innovation in that company.

diogoguitar likes this.
  7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

That is correct - "Carvin" was a combination of Lowell's 2 son's names: Carson and Gavin. The two families had a falling out and the business was split with the instrument side being renamed "Kiesel" and the amp/PA company keeping the "Carvin" name.

However, the Carvin side has ceased production of most items; they still have some guitar pedals, microphones, wireless systems, in-ear monitors and that type of product left. I think most (if not all) their current products are imports.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.