Join Strat-Talk Today

Killswitch Install & Master Tone Mod (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by 7 Year Cycle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 7 Year Cycle

7 Year Cycle Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys, just did some modding to my 50s RI Strat last night and thought I would share in case anyone is interested doing the same thing.

The first thing I did was removed one of the tone pots and re-wired the other tone pot to act as a master for all 3 pickups. I never really use different tone settings for the bridge vs center & neck pickups so there wasn't much point for me to have one. Plus I wanted to make room for my killswitch.

The wiring diagram for this can be found here:
    Wiring Diagram

My other guitars are Les Pauls so on the rare occasion I feel like doing some killswitch stuff I just turn the volume down on one of the pickups and use the selector switch. But I wanted to be able to do this on my Strat as well.

So I went to Radio and bought a momentary switch for $3. This is the same one everyone uses only I wired it up a little differently than what I've seen other people do.

How the killswitch works is it basically bridges the hot signal and ground of the output jack, causing the signal to cut off. Therefore the common thing to do is to just wire the switch to the jack itself. However since I removed a tone pot I already had a ground wire that ran from tone pot to tone pot to volume pot. So I simply wired the switch to that ground wire and then to the output tab of the volume pot.

A lot of people say they get popping sounds when pressing the button on a clean channel but not on distortion channels. I do not get any sounds through either channels and it works great. I'm not sure if this is because mine is wired differently than other peoples or because I just got lucky.

Here is a link to the type of switch you need:
    3-Amp Soft-Touch Momentary Switch : Momentary Switches | RadioShack.com

If you have any questions/comments please ask!

Here are some before and after pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

My comment:

your avatar is great!

3. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

was it difficult to convert it to master tone? i want to do that except i'm putting in an onboard distortion.

oh and nice avatar :)

4. 7 Year Cycle

Nope it's extremely simple. You only have to solder 2 wires. Here's a basic diagram.

Just make sure which ever tone pot you keep is the one with the cap on it. Otherwise you'll have to solder one to the tone pot. Let me know if you have any other questions!

BTW the link didn't paste right. So instead of clicking on it just copy and paste the whole thing.

Wiring diagrams - Fender :: Strat with master tone control wiring diagram picture by stratman323 - Photobucket[term]=recent&filters[primary]=images

5. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

sorry but which part do i copy?

6. 7 Year Cycle

Copy the whole link. From "wiring" to "images" and paste it into your browser.

7. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash Former Member

SO its just a Look from the Output to Earth when the Switch is clicked..

I use sort of 2P2T (on-off-on) toggle switch so i can use a HSH system and it lets me switch between having the two Humbuckles .. Normal Strat or Off in the middle state

8. 7 Year Cycle

This is a momentary switch that is always off until you push it to complete the circuit. It just grounds the signal wire and the ground with thus killing the signal.

9. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.