Kind of a problem

Aqueix

Strat-Talker
Jul 30, 2021
Arizona
So Ive been learning guitar left handed after playing righty for about 2 years but there is a small issue. Within my first week Im about the same skill as I am on righty but I enjoy playing left handed more it feels better in my hands. Im debating if I should convert some of my righty guitars to left handed since I only own one left handed guitar (Fender acoustic) or maybe sell a couple for an actual lefty guitar.

Impulsive guppy

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2020
Springfield
00c2be1ce3dc4bb21313b79bb7f5ad81a53a21dfcb795bfbb33fbdc6b0c03c72.jpg

Nadnitram

Most Honored Senior Member
I'm a lefty who learned to play right-handed. I'm glad I did, as there appears to be a dearth of left-handed guitars available. Playing righty, I've been able to cycle through about 70 guitars in the last dozen years, everything from Explorers to semi-hollows to an SX Liquid, in order to learn what really speaks to me. I think I would have been rather frustrated trying to find LH guitars.

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
I'm a lefty who learned to play right-handed. I'm glad I did, as there appears to be a dearth of left-handed guitars available. Playing righty, I've been able to cycle through about 70 guitars in the last dozen years, everything from Explorers to semi-hollows to an SX Liquid, in order to learn what really speaks to me. I think I would have been rather frustrated trying to find LH guitars.
I did the same.

Makes life a lot simpler over time.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
It sounds like you are making life harder than it needs to be.
THIS.

While I'm envious of your dexterity, if I could do that I'd just wait around till I saw a real deal on a lefty electric to have the option of playing either/or, and work on developing my skills as a righty.

As @crawdaddy and other lefties will attest, finding good left-handed instruments is hard. When you consider how much it limits your finish options as well as models it's hardly worth it if you can play righty.

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
It sounds to me like playing left handed is more natural for you. Maybe make a new nut and string one of your other guitars left handed and try it for a while. You can always put the original nut back in if you go back to RH.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
So Ive been learning guitar left handed after playing righty for about 2 years but there is a small issue. Within my first week Im about the same skill as I am on righty but I enjoy playing left handed more it feels better in my hands. Im debating if I should convert some of my righty guitars to left handed since I only own one left handed guitar (Fender acoustic) or maybe sell a couple for an actual lefty guitar.
I guess that depends on what style of your other guitars are. Once bought a Lefty 68 reissue Strat that I converted to Rh just to see what Hendrix had to put up with. The controls are fairly uncomfortable and easy to move by accident while being less easy to move on purpose, the trem bar in the wrong place, the reverse tuners so unnatural and there's less upper fret as access. It really made me appreciate what the man was capable of so much more but for me it sucked. These are things you could overcome if you wanted but why?

When I sold it I did alright because there are others who wanted that experience but in reality I did devalue it by moving the strap button and a real lefty would have to change the nut back should it ever fall into the "correct" (not right) hands.

For reasons mentioned in posts above I wouldn't give up on playing righty but I could see the value in having a couple meant to be LH.

Last edited: