Join Strat-Talk Today

Klein epic series 63 pickup set review

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Belltonenblues84, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 New Member!

Ive searched long & far and theres absolutely no reviews for this specific klein pickup set. Theres a ton on jazzycats 59 and 62 but no 63. WeIll be the first. Lets start with the gear involved:

Tokai TST-62 blonde with rosewood neck. With the tremolo setup BLOCKED.
    Fender 5f6a circuit PTP wired bassman LTD w/stock jensen p10r. V12ay7 in v1 and 12ax7 in v2 and 3. 5881 power tubes biased pretty hot.

The first thing that i think of when i hear this set. Is ROBERT CRAY ithese pickups to my ears create his *Strong persuader* tone in spades. Big, woody, shimmery chime and sparkle in all 5 positions. Theres absolutely no harsh frequencies or ice pick in this set everything has a bit of heft to it and it sings pretty. Its got that classic mid scooped tone which really accentuates the quack in 2 and 4 positions. When you have a great set of pickups you find yourself using every position and every position sounds great and has their own individual voice. Its alil quieter than my 50rv raw vintage & don mare super sport pickups my only complaint is i wish it had it a bit more output. It is a NON RWRP set and theyre really quiet no added noise on 2 and 4 positions. Im very happy & satisfied with this set. Ive played afew pre cbs 63 strats at chicago music exchange and these make my tokai sound VERY CLOSE. 9.5 out of 10.

hexnut likes this.
  2. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Strat-O-Master

Sounds great, and right up my alley :cool:

3. Belltonenblues84

You can accentuate that even more in the 2 and 4 position by lowering the middle pickup some. That really brings out the quack while adding punch to the neck and bridge pickup. Which of course robert cray does to his guitars

4. Belltonenblues84

I wasnt even looking for a robert cray tone in particular. I never say i want my strat to sound like this guy or that. I just study the general characteristic of a guitar itself n listen to many examples of fine ones n figure what specific things jump out at me. Then find pickups that give me that sound. This just so happens to sound like the old shoreline gold 64 robert cray used back in the 80s. Robert cray also uses hardtail strats mine is blocked like a hardtail. I wasnt trying to copy that either lol. Just try different tremolo setups. My maple sunburst is decked with 3 springs my CAR rosewood strat has 5 springs amd sounds very springy my black ast62 tokai has 4 raw vintage springs so i experiment with different sounds n setups.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

My '63 has the sweetest tone of any Strat I've ever had. Always wondered why so many boutique winders seem to want to copy the '62 and nobody aims for the '63. Glad Klein is making that set.

I've been reading good things about Kleins for years but never owned any myself.

Belltonenblues84 likes this.
  6. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

I had this set and wasn't really impressed in the guitar I paired it with. Maybe it was just a missed opportunity.

On the other hand, the pole piece bevels were hideous and very ugly and the lead wires were ridiculously short out of the box...

Didn't get any help from customer service...

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I have the Epic 55 and 58 sets installed in guitars at the minute. Absolutely love them and can't really see me using anything else anytime soon. Not tried the 63's but can imagine how good they are:thumb:

8. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Yeah Ive got a set of Klein Epic 59s and love them. They are in a classic 60s strat. They so much remind me of the 59 strat I had back in the day. Klein does a good job. Glad they work for you.

9. Belltonenblues84

Certain guitars are more picky about pickups than others. My classic vibes take to pickups incredibly you barely need any adjustments. But my TST & AST 62 vintage series tokai strats take alot more tweaking. When i first put in the kleins the volume was all over the place n very unbalanced. I thought it just ok. Plus the Low A on the brudge was extra quiet. So i emailwd klein and returned it after he gave me his address. After a week i got it back n the problem was fixed and after more adjustment, it sounds great. I dont see myself taking these out ever.

10. Belltonenblues84

I think because the slab boards are more revered than the veneer boards. Most of the revered strat players didnt use veneer post 63 strats other than Hendrix. Even though he started out using mainly 64s and afew like or 2 63s. Even SRV number one waa a 63 neck but the pickups were 59. I know throbak makes 63 and 64 strat pickups and the 63 demos sound exactly.like many 63s i played n heard but 418 bucks is just way too much strat pickups IMO. Bare knuckle makes 63 veneer radioshop 63 and onamac windery 60s are a copy of a 63 too. But i always wanted to try the kleins so i went with them and i was not disappointed once i got it setup exactly to my liking.

11. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Always wondered why I like the middle pickup of my Onamac Pinktone set so much. It has a 50s neck, a 60s middle and a hot bridge. Never knew Kerry's 60s Strat pickups were derived from a
    '63.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.