Join Strat-Talk Today

Kluson tuners in a Squier...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by gcconspiracy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Okay, so I've done a bit of research (since posting a similar thread recently), and am wondering if I can fit GFS vintage tuners on my Squier without drilling. I have been told that I will need to drill, but my tuning holes are 10mm which I thought was standard. Am I wrong in thinking that 10mm is the modern standard? The conversion bushings available at GFS are listed for 3/8" which is just a hair smaller than 10mm. I'm getting quite confused, and would just like to figure this out; any help would be MUCH appreciated.

here are the tuning machines:
    Wilkinson Fender-Style Nickel Tuners- Six for Strats and Teles.

here are the conversion bushings: Nickel Vintage Tuner Conversion Bushings

-gcc

PS - would I save myself a headache by simply dropping these 10mm locking tuners in?
    Gotoh Style Chrome Locking Tuners- Six In Line- True Mechanical Lock

also, does anyone have experience with either of these tuners?

2. Twinman

Twinman Strat-Talk Member

Those Kluson vintage style tuners at first will only fit if your headstock is small. If it's the normal big Squier headstock you should go with Gotoh style tuners also available at GFS. Spacing beetwen the holes is smaller for Kluson type than it is on the big headstock Squier necks. You will only have to slightly enlarge the existing holes so the Kluson bushings will fit snugly if you have the correct neck. If you don't the tension created by all 6 bushings together can do as much as splitting your headstock in two.
    So no real drilling is included in this mod.

Twinman

3. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

some interesting information there thanks

4. gcconspiracy

wow... I have the small headstock, but now I'm a little gun-shy of ordering the vintage tuners (I like my headstock in one piece!). Maybe I will go with the Gotoh-style lockers (or Fender-Schallers if I can find a good deal on them). Anyways, thanks for the info Twinman!

-gcc

ps - anyone actually install the GFS locking tuners (the real lockers, not the E-Z lock)

5. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Its not a big deal, really.
    I just installed a set on my HWY1 last month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sprocket

And I believe these are the bushings I used:
    10.5mm Round Conversion Bushings at Stewart-MacDonald

Really, its just 7 small screw holes you have to drill.
    Although I wasnt aware there were different tuner spacings, thats the first Id ever considered that...or heard of that.:confused:

7. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

You don't need any adaptor bushings, just buy what you showed in your first link. You'll need to take a drill and open up each tuner hole a little until the bushings push in snugly, then just screw em down. You don't want the 6 in a line, as they will not likely match up exactly, and will cause you all sorts of problems. One thing you MAY need to do is get some bigger screws, as on mine (a very old 80's "BULLET" headstock) the tuners were JUST far enough away from each other than the small screws provided didn't give me enough bite. I used some gold pickguard screws in the center screw positions and they worked and look fine.

Attached Files:

8. gcconspiracy

These conversion bushings look similar to the GFS ones, though I'm pretty sure I need the 10mm (or 3/8") bushings that are available through both GFS and Stew Mac. Am I wrong? My holes seem to be 10mm across.

This confuses me, since the vintage tuners seem to fit into significantly smaller holes, am I missing something here, or are we speaking of two different things?

9. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

Check also the distance from the first tuner (bottom E string) to the edge of the headstock where it curves up from the nut, some later necks had the holes a bit closer to the edge making klusons impossible to fit without overhang.

10. joeybsyc

It depends on what tuners you have now... if they are the type with a bushing pressed into the holes from the front, like this, you need to remove the tuners and bushings, and open the holes, as they are too SMALL for the vintage tuners. (I know, i was surprised there were tuners with smaller holes in the headstock than Klusens, but they are!) If it has the type of tuners with the nut on the front, you may need the bushing kit described above... in my case, the holes were too small for Klusens and needed opened. Post pics of your headstock and I can tell you for sure.

Attached Files:

Coemgen likes this.
  11. gcconspiracy

Okay, here's a pic of my headstock. Hopefully it is good enough for you to figure out!

[​IMG]

12. joeybsyc

Actually, in your case I think you WILL need the adapter bushings... those tuners usually use a bigger hole than vintage tuners, at least the ones on American made strats do... Looks like you must have something better than a bare bones Squier with the sucky tuners I showed in my pic above. The bushings are like what, 7 bucks? I'd order them, the tuners come with the standard bushings too, so you'll actually have 2 sizesto play with... one of the 2 sets can definitely work, or can be made to work... but from what i can see there, you're gonna need the adapters.

13. gcconspiracy

cool, thanks a lot for the info joey! By the way, are those the Guitar Fetish "Wilkinson" Kluson copies on your bullet? If so, how do you like them, and how do they compare to other tuners you've had?

14. Sprocket

Thanks for the credit.
    I gave you the correct info from the beggining...the rest was rather confusing, and there arent many guitars in the Fender line up that comes with those Bullet tuners, I dont understand why one would assume theyre all like that?

15. gcconspiracy

well, joey responded with some solid info when I asked for clarification, so I thanked him. I appreciate your help too, and wasn't intentionally excluding the help you'd given. Anyways, sorry for any misunderstanding.

16. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

GC,

This is from a thread on the Squier Deluxe Strat from another site:

I got the Kluson style tuners on, the adapter bushings and spacing for the tuners was perfect.

Home wiklstnitusi.html

Nickel Vintage Tuner Conversion Bushings

I'm now using 10s with 4 springs.
    I couldn't be more pleased!

Tho the vintage style bent steel saddles are a real temptation, they'll have to wait.

If only they made a 2 tone sunburst in this style.
    I'd be on it in a heart beat!

17. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

18. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

The guitarfetish conversion bushings have worked for me on my squier'51.

19. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

Nice to know that they have conversion bushings to eliminate the need to enlarge holes. I'm all for modifying my guitars but one thing I will not do is modify them in anyway that can prevent me from restoring it to its original specifications.

20. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

I just purchased a set of Gotoh mini locking tuners. I don't know how quickly they'll arrive but I'll let everyone know how it goes when they do. I'll have to drill holes for the screws and I plan to fill the old index holes unless someone has a reason not to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.