Korean Made Fender Strat with Plywood body

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Slackjawls, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

Maybe I'm a bit foggy on the details. I might have bought it in 1986.

Even though the guitar is long gone, When I parted it out, I saved the neck plate and put it on my partscaster.

The serial number is: E609161

And it looked like this one (web pic)

[​IMG]

Whatever it was, it certainly had a plywood body.

mutato and Guitarmageddon like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That's made in Japan my friend!! Korean Squier stuff didn't start until E7 serial numbers and all had headstock adjust truss rods....

stratlt likes this.
  3. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I know it's not a Strat but my E9 serial number MIK Squier HM2 was a beautiful electric blue finish over a plywood body. Great player too.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

My son bought a Korean made Squire II and that is a ply body.
    I also owned a MIJ Bullet Strat from the 80's and that was ply as well.

I detest the description of guitars made out of "plywood" because that denotes some cheap wood you get at home depot for shelving. That is not the case. Yes, it's plywood technically, but made of better woods and obviously carved and shaped to thickness for our wonderful Strats. Very durable. And they do tend to be heavier sometimes. But they play fine.

stratocarlster likes this.
  5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

My first electric was a Korean Squier in ‘94. It was bright red with a single ply white pickguard. The maple neck on it was amazing, I wish I still had that. The whole thing sounded and played great. The body was plywood covered with an almost plastic coat of something.

6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I've got a partscaster based around a plywood MIK Squier body, I think it's from an S9 serial Squier II. It's a fantastic guitar, the tone isn't compromised one bit as far as I can tell, and it's nice and lightweight too. Stripped screw threads have been a bit of an issue though. The finish must be pretty thin, in the right light you can see the layers of wood through it!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

7. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talk Member

Hi, it says that the first MIK Squiers bodies were in plywood. There were only few Fender guitars made in Korea, but it doesn't say if their bodies were in plywood or not. There were also few Strats with E7 or E9 serial numbers that maybe were in solid wood.

8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Afaik, plywood and laminated hardwood is quite different.

stratlt likes this.
  9. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 Strat-Talk Member

Ive been offered this from a friend…
    Looks to be a 1994 MIK as the serial number he said was VN409040

The bullet series on the headstock... is that the same as the current bullet series? I’m assuming it as a plywood body - anyone have experience with these? How do they sound? 096DEBA7-D1C2-487A-8611-8587B990B0C6.jpeg

10. PavelH

PavelH New Member!

Ahoj kluci! Za špatnou angličtinu se předem omlouvám. Mám toto tělo kytary. Mohl byste mi prosím poradit, z jaké kytary je? Je to překližka o tloušťce 41 mm. Je to korejský squier nebo tak něco. Ani rok netuším. Mnohokrát děkuji za každou radu. Sbohem! 20201121_205101.jpg

Attached Files:

11. PavelH

PavelH New Member!

Nikdo mi nepomůže? Should i try another discussion?

12. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

My first electric guitar was a MIK Fender strat w/sn# prefix "E" bought new in '89. I have no clue if the body is plywood or not but I do know it's still my favorite strat to play because of the neck.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Laminated plywood only matters if you believe in the mystical Tone Wood religion. If you believe wood is only there to hold the hardware and look pretty there is no problem with laminated guitars.

14. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

While this forum has members from all countries, the majority are from North America or Western Europe, and English is the language used.
    You are not going to get many (or any) responses posting in another language.

Unlike the old Fender support forums, this forum does not have non-English specific sub forums.

Surprisingly, Google Translate did a wonderful job on your post:
    To answer that, I don't know.
    I had an early 90s Korean Strat. It had a plywood body, but it had the "Swimming Pool" body route, that would have allowed three humbuckers to be installed. It was not the H-S-S that you have.

@Guitarmageddon is really good at identifying Squier bodies, he may have an idea what you have.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  15. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I had an Epiphone "Strat" style guitar once that was plywood MIK and it was complete garbage in every way. It was early on in my guitar life and luckily it didn't get me to quit because it was that bad.

16. PavelH

PavelH New Member!

Thanks so much for the advice !