Lace Sensor bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by alexh4, Jul 15, 2021.

1. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

I know there are some Lace users here, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a Light Blue, regular Blue, Burgundy, or Purple in the bridge position?

I'm wanting to make a 2 pickup build, and putting either a Silver or Light Blue in the neck, but I'm unsure about the bridge. Not interested in vintage/traditional Strat tones, looking for more for a P90/humbucker vibe, that isn't too harsh.

2. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

I've used a blue and a purple in the bridge as part of a 3 "same color" pickup setup, and I think the blue might most be what you're looking for, purple next. Haven't tried the other two but would like to one day.

alexh4 likes this.
  3. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

+1 on the Blue in the bridge. The Blue in the neck on my 1993 Plus Deluxe is my favourite single coil......but we aren't talking neck position.

I have the Blue in the bridge of my 1990 Plus Deluxe, and it's a total different beast than that in my '93. To the point you'd not even guess they were the same pickup!! I highly recommend it myself.

alexh4 likes this.
  4. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

Good to know. How did the Blue and Purple differ in the bridge other than the Blue having more output?

5. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

Interesting. Is it much brighter in the bridge?

SurfsUp likes this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

The blue just seemed a little thicker to me. YMMV, but to me it seemed fuller.

7. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Yes it is. In the neck, the Blue has this warm, mellow "smoky" tone which I love. It's thick, yet (IMO) not muddy. Some may gasp at this ~ but it's my go-to tone if I wanna TRY to jam alone to any SRV recordings. It's my favourite single coil pickup.

In the bridge however, it's completely different, which is a good thing. Makes me want a full set, TBH.....just need a spare Strat lol.....it's not as mellow or smoky, brighter but not ear piercing. Not as hot as the Red (in the bridge of my '93) I dunno ~ I'm terrible at internet mumble jumble pickup jargon.......like Nike, Just Do It lol

This thread reminds me, I have a first gen Blue Lace Sensor in a parts bin downstairs......hmmmmmm

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Second vote for Blue in the bridge - when I originally got my Plus Deluxe in 1994 I struggled with the neck (Blue) being to dark and the Bridge (Red) being too hot - I ended up moving the Silver to the neck, the Blue down to the bridge and dropped a Gold in the middle and it was the perfect set for me at that time.

One important note - the guitar had a TBX tone control in the bridge, and that made a big difference in the tone - it gave the Blue the clarity and stratty sparkle it may have lacked otherwise - any future Lace purchases for me would definitely include a TBX.

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. alexh4

alexh4 Strat-Talk Member

Has anyone tried a Light Blue in the bridge?

10. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

Never heard of a light blue or purple.

All of mine are marked “fender lace sensor”

I had one guitar that was fine with a blue in the bridge, but another needed a red. Silver or blue is fine in the neck, and since I drop middles low it doesn’t matter what’s there.

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I think Lace (who makes the pickups) had a deal with Fender at the time for Fender to use them exclusively on their guitars for a number of years, hence the label "Fender Lace Sensor" at the time.

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

yep and no pinks and chartreuse and lavenders at that time… fender stopped using them when they came up with their “noiseless” in the mid 90’s

13. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Regular blue in the bridge is what I roll with. This one I move up close to the strings, the others are further back.