Lack of color and fretboard choices with new models?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mikej89, Feb 10, 2020.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Is it just me or is there a seriously limited choice of colors and fretboard materials for many new Fender models? The Classic Vibe 50's Tele for instance only comes in 2 colors and with maple fingerboards... So if you buy a Classic Vibe 50's Tele gotta have the same one everyone else has lol o_O. Wouldn't Classic Vibes be so much more fun if they came in like 10-20 different color choices and both rosewood and maple fingerboards? It really comes across as shameless cost cutting to me that turns me off. I imagine the accounting suits at Fender figured out exactly how much money they can save by only having 2 different finishes in the factory for one model.

TangerineDog likes this.
  2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

I agree. If you want maple on an American Performer it's either Lake Placid blue or "penny". In person the Penny was PINK to me. Looked like a Barbie guitar, but to each their own.

Stratafied and mikej89 like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

if fender made classic vibes for everyone, fender would shoot themselves in the foot. classic vibes are too good to let to many of them sit next to fender's more expensive guitars.

all in my opinion and maybe a few other's, allegedly....

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender likes to keep it boring a lot of the time, except for FSRs. Do they make Classic Vibe FSRs?

5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Truthfully, Fender wants everyone to buy their more expensive offerings. It's standard operating procedure for a business to limit choices with entry level products to [hopefully] drive customers towards more expensive stuff down the road.

6. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

10-20 color choices would only boost cost which would mean higher prices at the store then people would complain about that and buy less. There's a lot that goes into manufacturing a product, distribution, inventory costs, etc. it's just not simple to explain.

7. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

Sorry, but what is FSR?

Stratafied likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

^This^
    Fender has to drive traffic to their Mod Shop some way.

9. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Not only fender does this. Check out new Epiphone same thing different finishes with different option so in essence nothing is perfect always seems to be a compromise somewhere :confused:

10. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

I think it stands for Fender Special Run, but it basically means limited edition colors.

I have a MIM Classic Series 60s Strat in Canary Diamond (basically banana pudding color). I’ve read that only 500 were made in that color, but I have no idea if that’s true, or if 500 is Fender’s standard number for FSR production. But I occasionally check online for that model in that color for sale. I never see any active ads. So I assume FSRs are fairly rare on the resale market.

Neil.C, jtoomuch and mikej89 like this.
  11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

fender special run or something like that.

smithstrato and jtoomuch like this.
  12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I agree that Fender can’t accommodate every color for every model, but I don’t know why they can’t offer (for instance) Black on both the 50s and 60s Road Worn Strats. I mean, it’s not like they’d have to have separate paint booths or something.

I already have a Sunburst 50s Road Worn but wouldn’t mind a Black 60s version... if they offered one...

13. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

That makes sense but even the more expensive models seem extremely limited. Like jtoomuch said, the American Performer is only available in 2 finishes with a maple board.

14. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

This post made me curious. I just email Fender to ask how many guitars they make for each FSR, and how many guitars they made in the specific model and color I detailed in my above post.
    I’ll post the response from Fender Customer Service in this thread.

Neil.C likes this.
  15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, Fender's website shows a lot of finish options, but they indeed are scattered over several different series of Stratocasters:
    • American Original (4)
    • American Professional (4)
    • Artist (21)
    • Deluxe (3)
    • Limited Edition (2)
    • American Acoustasonic (1)
    • American Performer (2)
    • American Ultra (2)
    • Parallel Universe Volume II (3)
    • Player (7)
    • Rarities (5)
    • Vintera® (5)
    It almost makes you think Fender does that on purpose, so you'll eventually have to buy a Strat from several different series in order to own all the finish options you like!
    ;)

jtoomuch likes this.
  16. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

17. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

This is one of the fsr models, I’d grab one but that striping is a turn off

Davemg likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Well sort of. I just bought an American Original 60’s Strat and they only come in three colors, 3TSB, Oly White and shell pink. They dropped the CAR for shell pink this year. I picked the Oly White because I’ve had way to many sunburst guitars over the years and my wife said the shell pink was too girly and she’d make fun of me :D. I really wish they offered more choices in this line as well. The vintera Lind seems to have the most options.

19. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

BARBIE guitar?? o_O

Personally I think Penny is a great color...

IMG_9818.JPG

20. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Senior Stratmaster

I’d imagine the colors Fender chooses are also based on focus studies and commercial research of what’s popular in the market and for the brand image, and what historically or recently has sold well.

Go dig up any Strat Talk thread about favorite Fender colors and over and over you see the same thing... people like to see Strats and Teles in bursts, whites, black, and various reds and a few blues—and Fender knows this, and it is reflected in their color offerings. The folks like me that like the Capri Orange, Electron Green, or Ultra Violet are fewer than the traditionalists I think, which is why those colors are usually relegated to FSR issues of limited numbers.

Tim S, TangerineDog and mikej89 like this.