Lack of color and fretboard choices with new models?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mikej89, Feb 10, 2020.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

That makes sense, but my greater point is that they’re doing the same thing with the Vintera series...

Sunburst is only available on the Vintera 50s “Modified” Strat, not the more traditional model, which doesn’t make sense to me (since I’d want one to be more traditional if going for a Sunburst finish).

If they offered Sunburst on both models then they’d have all their bases covered...

2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

Just kidding around, none taken of course.

jtoomuch likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Maple necks and fretboards only is ok with me.

Fender really needs to get away from exotic woods for fretboards. Maybe use walnut for the dark fretboard option or roasted maple or dyes. The rest of the common materials are getting pulled from fragile rain forest ecosystems. The Amazon is burning. Forward thinking guitarists should say they 'can play just a little bit better' to account for any wood tone beliefs they may have and go with a better environmental choice. Pro players should play responsible woods in their stage guitars. Fast growing woods sourced locally, how about Grown in America to go with Made in America? Two million new guitars are built every year, using the most choice pieces of wood with straight grain with no knots -- so the waste is huge.

Players need to demand a change from the factories because factories are too weak to make the change themselves.

4. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

This makes a lot of sense. I happen to prefer maple anyhow.

Caddy likes this.
  5. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

Huh...righties complaining about a lack of options...

Interesting...

6. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Cheers. I might make a trip to Melbourne in the coming weeks and make some time to visit and have a look at them.

7. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

He’s appointment only,as he’s a Luthier. Give him a call; he’s a nice chap. I Dropped my strat over to him about two hours ago!

If you’re in melb, get over to Carlton - Found Sound is brilliant, with a great range of amps and pedals as well as guitars. and there’s a fab used place there too, called music swap shop, which is rammed with all manner of good stuff (few lefties though). Manny’s in Fitzroy is decent too, but more mainstream.

Bladesg likes this.
  8. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I know... this is becoming “worlds smallest violin talk”..

Nubs likes this.
  9. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Noted. Thank you

10. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

I thought in the 50s, anything but sunburst was a custom order with up-charge. Kinda like the mod shop today.

Get a mod shop or get a body painted and build a partscaster. We have more choices than ever and it’s still not enough for some people.

11. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

As long as people will pay the inventory costs that is.

12. Davemg

Davemg Strat-Talk Member

Unfortunately, the mod shop is only available for customers in the USA

CB91710 likes this.
  13. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

I think it's meant to be poked in each eye to never worry about color again.
    Play through.

14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like there is over 30 colors available right now:

rtd-1.jpg

simoncroft likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Supporting Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Only for the Mod Shop.
    As pointed out to me by Davemg, this service is apparently not available outside of the US.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If you want it bad enough, I don't have to tell you how to get it. There are many $$$$ bicycle models not sold in the States, that does not mean I can't buy them.

The Mod Shop is a relatively new, super fast (30 days), offering from Fender.

I'm sure they will expand if the demand is there.

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

You hit on a very valid point back there: the stocking commitment stores need to make. As @vid1900 has just shown, Fender will happily make its instruments in multiple finish options. What it doesn't want to do is compel its dealers to stock them all.

Let's do the arithmetic. One model of Strat is suddenly available in-store in 20 colours and with maple or rosewood boards. That's 40 possible combinations a dealer would need to stock in order to avoid losing a customer because they wanted it in Snot Green and they don't have that in stock. But no Fender dealer offers just one model, so let's say they need to stock 10 different models. Now that's 400 instruments they need to stock. (And 10 models isn't very much if you think how many there are just in the Strat and Tele lines...)

Maybe the big on-line retailers could afford to do it, but it would drive the 'bricks and mortar' stores to the wall – and believe me, many of them are already almost there.

CB91710 and vid1900 like this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Supporting Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly.
    And even the big online retailers would not stock to that level in each store.
    I can get a Les Paul Original 50's Goldtop P90 from Sam Ash in 3 days... but none of my local stores have one in stock.
    They are in a regional warehouse, or they will transfer stock between stores. Particularly in a market like LA, where we have 4 or 5 Sam Ash and probably more than 10 Guitar Centers.
    "CB's Strings and Things" can't do that.

simoncroft likes this.
  19. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Strat-Talk Member

I just bought a 2019 American Performer Tele, with a maple neck and a butterscotch blonde finish, I registered it on the fender site, and it came up as a limited edition ?

I also bought a 2017 American Special with a maple neck, and a dark walnut finish, so I think they are out there, you just have to keep looking