Laser Printer -or- Ink Jet (for Black only Printing)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rolandson, Sep 13, 2021.

Which?

1. Laser

96.6%
  2. Ink Jet

3.4%
  1. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Just like it says...

I'm tired of buying printers. Seems that I have to do so every two years. They are simply designed to crap out. Truth is I rarely print anything anymore. Even while drafting my thesis I rarely made hardcopy. But...when needed, they're needed.

So which, in the wisdom of the collective, is the wisest choice for the infrequent creator of the monochromatic printed page?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talker

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    I think the fact that you don't print often really comes into play. In my experience with inkjet if I don't print for a couple of months, there's a propensity for the nozzles to clog and even removing the printhead and flushing it doesn't always work. You don't run into that with the toner powder laser printers use.

RobZ69 and rolandson like this.
  3. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I got tired of ink jets busting and running out of ink and finally got myself a Brother laser printer a year or so ago. I've printed a lot of pages and no issues so far.

rolandson and StratoMutt like this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Got a $70 B&W laser. The starter cartridge lasted at least 6-7 years. Replacement cart was $55, but promises over 3000 prints.

Inkjets gum up if you don't use them and laser has much better resolution.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I have no doubt a laser would be better, especially each time I order ink cartridges, but I don't print all that often and in a volume great enough to justify the cost of a really good color laser.

So after 10 years of yeoman service when my first Canon gave out recently I just replaced it with the current version of the same $50 one I bought in 2011. This one only ran $50 as well and it will do color which I do require at times.

rolandson likes this.
  6. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

No color? A Brother laser printer is the best home office choice. I have an older Brother MFP (multi function printer) that continues to be flawless.

I do not print much, but it has been superb.

rolandson and fos1 like this.
  7. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

Laser all the way.

I just had to get another printer because my $99 Brother laser printer finally had the drum go - lasted 4+ years and went thru maybe 2 toner cartridges. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by during the pandemic. I ended up buying a Canon D570 for $200 (Laser Printer). Prints nicely and has a scanner built in as well. I am happy with it so far - hopefully get another 4+ years out of it.

When I worked at the refinery, we actually bought $150 Brother Laser Printers to use on the Automation Systems network. We could buy 3 for the price of a single HP laser printer. We would just throw them away when they had problems and put a new in.

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Laser, period.

Cheper per page, less goes wrong.

leave an inkjet for a month and goodbye nozzles - AND buy another set of cartriges to clean the print nozzle AND then it will still be stuffed.

Been there many times.

Colour laser (fuji-xerox) if you need colour.
    and guess what - toner is like ink - more expensive to buy than a new printer in most cases.

Throwaway society? perhaps the catridges are just profit gouging.

9. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Brother has been quietly making the best laser printers in the home office category for many years now.

I can attest to their reliability as a former tech support guy.

rolandson likes this.
  10. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

A simple Brother B&W laser is very inexpensive and reliable. I have using them for years. Far less expensive than any ink jet. You can usually find them for $100 or less. (That is unless the chip shortage is a problem. :( )

rolandson likes this.
  11. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Rarely printed, had to spend 20 minutes cleaning the print heads to print. Printer would not print in black unless you had a working color cartridge in it.
    Bought a laser for less than $100, lasted for years, still works, but changed it for a wireless, which also has a scanner, for convenience, we can print from iPads , iPhones and computers.

rolandson likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I've had laser for years. I just replaced my early 2000s Samsung with a spiffy new Xerox all singing all dancing wireless one a couple of months ago.

rolandson likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Laser. Just get a HP Laserjet -- look for replacement toner cartridges when you buy it that are more universally supplied. The one I have now I bought two toner cartridges for $30, so $15 each instead of $75 each.

When your toner gets low you'll see streaks on the printed page. Just take the cartridge out and tip it end to end to level the powder inside the cartridge and you'll get more prints (but it's a good idea to order the replacement at that point).

Like a lot of products, one factory makes several brands.

If you need a scanner get a separate scanner. 'all in one' devices always have one of the 'all' go bad faster than the rest and then what do you do? The scanner I have I got used back around 2003 and have been through two laser printers since then. A friend of mine bought a combo oven with a microwave on top and the microwave went out so he has this dead microwave taking up space over his stove that still chugs right along.

rolandson likes this.
  14. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Another vote for the Brother lasers - I replaced the last in a long line of "disposable" inkjets with a Brother monochrome printer/scanner/copier, and have been wondering why I didn't do it years ago.

rolandson likes this.
  15. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

I'd have to go Laser, because that's what we have at work---and if I need an actual "paper copy" of something, I have our office gal print it out for me.
    I DO have an Ink Jet, but haven't purchased ink in over a decade; I just use it to scan a document and put it in PDF form.

rolandson likes this.
  16. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talker Silver Member

We have had two laser printers over the last 28 years; an HP LaserJet 4L (~16 years) and an HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni (~12 years). We sometimes go months without printing anything and then have months where we print quite a bit. I have used a lot of different lower end laser printers from various manufacturers in small office situations and none of them had the longevity of the HPs we have at home.

rolandson likes this.
  17. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

HP, Borther, all good option. As for Multi-function or color, there are so many reason to go for it or not... So that your choice.

I saw the point made by @jvin248 about MF, and he is right there is a point where either the scanner or the printer may fail. However if that point is 15 years from now, then this may be less of a factor.

I've had an inkjet MF printer that lasted over 16 years... at the end I swapped it because I was looking for better resolution and was tired of wasting money on clogged cartridge (I was not using it enough).

I now have an HP MF laser printer, it's been rock solid for over 5 years and I'm still on the original cartridge. I don't print a lot, but there some time when you have to. MF is also usefull to make quick copy of signed document for archive. Doing this without having to open a software is a time saver for me.

my 2 cents,

rolandson likes this.
  18. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

None.
    I gave up on the printer game.
    When I need something printed I put it on a stick USB drive and print it at the FedEx office place.

rolandson likes this.
  19. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Get a laser. It's settled law that a laser has a lower, all-inclusive cost per page and much less to go rong with it.

I used HP inkjets for at least 20 years and ended up telling an HP design engineer that I'd never buy another. I've kept that vow. They devolved from semi-reliable and quirky, to barely usable junk. Right now, there's a Canon PIXMA MP490 color inkjet somewhere on the premises, but I couldn't tell you where it is. I haven't seen it in years.

I switched to Brother monochrome, multifunction lasers that have been stone reliable and work properly. Each has included a flat-bed scanner, sheet feeder, and can print double-sided. Each has wireless, USB, and Ethernet connectivity. The Brother software is good. I use high-yield cartridges that do 3,000 sheets and are cheapest when bought directly from Brother, cheaper than refilled cartridges.

After maybe 60-80 thousand sheets my Brother DCP-L2530DW died and went to electronic recycling heaven. Currently on our home network, a Brothwer DCP-L2540DW does our general home and business printing. I just replaced the "drum" at 12,000 sheets, 2-minute job. A Brother DCP-L2540DW is upstairs in the office and does the book business printing. All 3 are successive iterations of the same basic model.

nadzab and rolandson like this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Thank you all.
    It was a tough decision; many good arguments on both sides of this circle and your input helped. I didn't need color capability because for that I use an old dye sub printer. Makes gorgeous prints. Expensive as hell, but gorgeous. As close to archival as a color print can get.
    The need for this printer was for stuff like tax filings and junk. Gorgeous isn't necessary. Archival isn't desired.

Didn't need a scanner because almost every printer I've owned had one that continue to work just fine. So I disassembled a couple for parts and kept one intact. When it craps out I'll just install another ...

As for printers...I've opted for a box of pencils with erasers and know I'll be satisfied. But when they run out, I bought a Brother Laser and a couple of high capacity toner cartridges. I don't expect to have a need to buy another printer, ever and toner...mayber next decade.

Thank you.

StratoMutt and nadzab like this.