Late to the stacking party... what are your fav pairings?

CapCrunch

Strat-Talker
Jan 5, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
Ok, so here I am in my comeback to guitar paying. Finally had the apt to myself, got my newly setup RG570, my new and barely used JC40 and my Jekyll and Hyde. Have heard of stacking but kind of ignored it. So now alone at home volume, tried both sides of the pedal on and dialed them just right and yep, its a super cool sound!

In the past I had used just the OD sound and never the other one which sounded kinda fizzy and out of control. But together, its has body AND hair to it! OD brings the thuddy crunch and the diet side brings the scream and together they balance each other well. It sounds very full and wide, like a stereo. I was going for a rock distortion sound, not metal but rocking and it delivers.

So... what are the "classic" pairings as far as stacking goes? What are your favorites, what are you using and what sound are going for, as in type of music to play.?

ajb1965

Old Enough to Know Better
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
You are going to get a wiiiiiiiiiide variety of answers but that's part of the fun and why most of us have a sock drawer full of OD pedals! In general you stack a lower gain pedal in front of one with a little more gain and try to avoid pedals that boost the same area of frequencies, but there are no hard and fast rules. Mix and match whatever sounds good to you. Tube Screamer + (Insert OD name here) is really popular but I never found a good pairing. I have a really nice high gain amp and play in a 60's-2020's cover band but I do use OD for my low to mid gain crunch stuff. I'm a big fan of Electro-Harmonix so I like to stack a Soul Food in front of an East River Drive or a Glove. I've also had interesting results stacking a Tumnus in front of a Twimble. The sky's the limit friend!

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

There are two paths you can pursue: big money boutique pedals or super inexpensive bargain pedals. You will get lots and lots of suggestions for favorite boutique pedals to stack. I don't see the need for those. So here are the cheap ones, like $20-$40 each cheap:

Joyo American Sound pedal for cab sims that you stack other pedals into. This can plug direct to a PA at a gig or into a recording system. No amp or mic needed.

Ammoon Black Rat (RAT)
Mulady Golden Horse overdrive (Klon)
Azor 303 Fuzz (Big Muff)
Boss DS-1 used (I stack a pair of these, because I have them from guitar trades, like stacking a Tube Screamer and a DS-1)

The youtube channel trying out a lot of the budget end of the market pedals is "60 cycle hum", do a search of that channel for "affordaboard" and you'll find a lot of options for $25 per throw. Find a type of pedal you like then you can go hunt narrow and deep in that channel for a favorite boutique pedal. JHS pedal channel also has a video about Behringer pedals which is good to check out.

CapCrunch

Strat-Talker
Jan 5, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
I am making my JC40 my main amp (Classic 30 is out of commission) so I will "design" my OD/Distortion pedals around it. Loving my Jekyll & Hyde both sides on. I will dip into RAT or clone zone since I've actually never had one. Will follow it up with a mini Tumnus possibly.

ajb1965

Old Enough to Know Better
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
I am making my JC40 my main amp (Classic 30 is out of commission) so I will "design" my OD/Distortion pedals around it. Loving my Jekyll & Hyde both sides on. I will dip into RAT or clone zone since I've actually never had one. Will follow it up with a mini Tumnus possibly.

If you ever watch That Pedal Show on YT they did a spot on the JC-40. Don't be put off by the title lol.

tinkertoy

Strat-O-Master
Feb 10, 2020
In a state of sunshine
I run:

Ts9 (low gain) > digitech df7 set to rat mode (low gain) > bogner blue > bogner red

I can get pretty much everything I need with them in different combos. Lately I like the ts9 into the df7/rat.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I 'stack' my delay pedals, first the Memory Toy for short, warm, mono, analogue delays, then into the DD7 for more epic ones, often together. Usually the Toy is set to barely precept-able.

MGW-AB

Strat-O-Master
Jun 6, 2020
Wild Rose Country
I'm new here so I don't know if this has been identified before but it's always been my experience that the last pedal in a stacked chain has the greatest influence on the final tone.

If I was selecting your pedals as to which ones to use first and last, I would audition them separately and find the one I like the most and then listen closely to determine what that fave pedal might possibly be missing from my personal version of a holy grail tone. Then I would go back and audition the others again to see if any of them has that some of that missing secret ingredient and use it to push the one I selected as my fave.

CapCrunch

Strat-Talker
Jan 5, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
Just saw a JHS vid on stacking delays. I had no idea you could connect two delays via the "ext" jack, set one for quarters notes and the other for dotted 8's, and tap tempo on one would also set the other. That just lit my head up, now I need to buy two delay pedals!

David Garner

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 9, 2011
Yorkville, Georgia
I don’t think of it as stacking so much as an overdrive or fuzz into an amp emulator, but I use a FD2 into a DLS Mk III Super Lead or Super Bass (I have 2, one set to each mode). I also use a Sunface into the Super Bass DLS.