Latest Build

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
So I've been working on this build for the last few months.

Those that know me, know I love the Rickenbacker 4001/3 style body shape. Back in the 70's, Rickenbacker made the 480 series of guitars. They were not well received, so they're long discontinued. Of course, the prices have shot up exponentially over the last several years. So I thought I'd build one.

I had this neck blank since last year, made from scraps, and decided I'd put it to use.

2rpz7lt.jpg

I picked up the tail piece from eBay, and bought the bridge and tuners from The Stratosphere. I had to test what kind of back angle I needed on the neck - it turns out to be about 2 degrees.

Though I love the body shape, I'm not a fan of the headstock, so I redesigned it.

9a4nzc.jpg

It's actually grafted from the upper horn of the body.

I cut out body wings from walnut.

2i8jfgj.jpg

Lots of sanding, shaping, gluing, routing, and fretting later, it's ready for paint.

e1d9af.jpg

I did the neck from scratch on this build using Stratocaster specs - 25.5" scale.

I bought a couple of Asian pickups - $22 for the set.

20 coats of clear, wet sanding and buffing resulted in this:

258v77d.jpg

No rear control cavity or pickguard - it's like a ship in a bottle.

2sb4lxy.jpg

xcty08.jpg

jp7zeu.jpg

and with my Fenderbacker bass

2ld7wgi.jpg

And with the final knobs

2zs894o.jpg

Still working on the setup, and I still have to make a truss rod cover, but I'm happy with the way it came out.

Last edited:

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
Thanks again everyone!

A few more pics.

289ewld.jpg

e03k1i.jpg

14a9o4.jpg

2d85f8.jpg

That is superb! I hope the pickups do your fine work justice.

Thanks! Oddly enough, those inexpensive Asian pickups sound pretty good, especially considering the price. I figured if they didn't work, I'd just use the covers and wind new ones. The bridge pickup is a little weak, so I may go ahead and do that anyway. In the mean time, I'll just continue rocking this as is.

Newstratbuilder

Strat-Talker
Oct 30, 2016
far east texas
Thanks again everyone!

A few more pics.

289ewld.jpg

e03k1i.jpg

14a9o4.jpg

2d85f8.jpg

Thanks! Oddly enough, those inexpensive Asian pickups sound pretty good, especially considering the price. I figured if they didn't work, I'd just use the covers and wind new ones. The bridge pickup is a little weak, so I may go ahead and do that anyway. In the mean time, I'll just continue rocking this as is.
That is just so awesome! I wouldn't be able to keep myself from looking at it!