Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lead singer band drama

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by RichieS, Oct 31, 2017.

1. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    I recently joined a band that plays 70's and 80's pop and dance music. It's a huge band with a 4 piece horn section, 3 female singers, keys, 2 guitarist/singers, drummer and bassist. Not my favorite material, but the musicians are pretty good, and they have some good, paying gigs in the books for 2018

So last night the drama began; one of the female singers sent an ultimatum-type email to the band (everyone except the other female singers) expressing her extreme dissatisfaction with the material that is being chosen. She said if we don't do some material by Heart, Tina Turner, or Etta James she will quit. I would be all for adding some Heart, Tina, and Etta- that material fits the band's direction. But that singer is being so immature about it- I don't see how the band can do anything but give her the boot

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Chont, davidKOS, velvet_man and 8 others like this.

3. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

If the band is about "getting paid", then decisions should be made by what gets the best gigs...no?

Ebidis and abnormaltoy like this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Ahhh, the dreaded LSD (lead singer’s disease) rears its ugly head. I say let her go. Ultimatums are a petty and destructive way to assert yourself in a group, and it’ll happen again if you cave.

Chont, davidKOS, velvet_man and 4 others like this.

5. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    "Do what I want, or else!"

I'll take "or else" for 1000, Alex.........:D

Chont, Ebidis, johnnymg and 5 others like this.

6. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    Yup- they are not coming to see her

Ebidis and abnormaltoy like this.

7. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    The group is led by three guys who used to work together. I'm not chiming in, but people have complained about this singer in the past. I'm pretty sure she is gonna be out

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Yep, once a singer starts being an SOB, the only place for 'em is AOB.

Any Other Band.

davidKOS, RichieS and abnormaltoy like this.

9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    In as few words as needed.

I'm all to ready to cut my nose off to spite my face. "The guitar or me", "the dog or me" or "do it or you're fired"...I don't respond well to ultimatums (ultimata?).

10. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    classic

Chont, fezz parka and abnormaltoy like this.

11. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    No room in a band for divas.

12. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Ultimati? :whistling:

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    What about the other female lead singers? Since you say her email wasn't sent to them (only to everyone else), perhaps her childish email is really a "1-for-all, all-for-1" sorta threat that probably merits a band meeting before you pull the rug out from under her.

But otherwise, what fezz parka said! :sneaky:

14. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Three females? Well, the band can survive temporarily on only two. Adios muchacha. You'll probably find a better singer along the way to replace her. But yeah, her musical suggestions are pretty solid. Why ISN'T the band playing this stuff? While examining the fallout from the ultimatum, you should also be examining why this isn't part of your repertoire already? Who is calling the shots on set lists?

Setting aside the method in which she delivered her displeasure, I get her entirely. It is so tedious to play in a group where you're no longer having fun because the guy in charge has "limited musical vision" and you're not having fun. But ultimatums usually don't work and the chick in questions seems to think the band can't exist without her. I guess letting her go will resolve that issue.

davidKOS likes this.

15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    There are a ton of great female singers around . . .

RichieS likes this.

16. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    It wasn't sent to the other singers because in the email she bad mouthed the other two singers (they're pretty so they get to sing all the songs they want etc...).

I suspect the core members of the group will discuss things and that we'll find out she's gone at the next rehearsal.

IME this girl's behavior indicates that she already wants to quit. She just wants to let the other members know what she really thinks first

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    If that's the case, then she's gone-daddy-gone... NEXT!

Groovey and Ebidis like this.

18. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

well, while i get that the squeaky wheel gets the ax, since you're new to the band there may be a dynamic that you're not aware of that's at play - and also of course your own sexism in how you think of women in a band together might be obscuring your ability to read the situation. These things should be considered before you come to a conclusion...

19. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    I know we would have added at least one song by one of those artists at the next rehearsal if she just asked. Those artists fit perfectly for the type of material this band does. This girl's acting like someone who wants to get fired

20. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Ultimatum

Vindibona1 and RichieS like this.