Leaping Across the Pond

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dennyn23, Jun 3, 2010.

1. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Hey guys! I'm currently a rising Junior in College in the States and will be spending next year abroad in France. Obviously, this poses some problems for the guitar player in me. I've got tons of questions on simple, mundane things like: do american guitars even work in Europe? How should I get my guitar over there? Should I even bring my guitar or simply buy a new one (good excuse right!) over there? What about an amp? Any feedback, experiences, etc. would be MUCH appreciated.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Not sure about France, but American guitars do not work in UK. This is our latest chart topping band

[​IMG]

So you need to grab hold of a Lute.

Seriously US guitars are more expensive in Europe so it may be wiser to bring one. On the other hand you have the issue of getting it over here. If something like a Strat or Tele, you could take the neck off and pack it in a case.

If it was me, at your age, I would forget about guitars for a while and explore Europe.

If you do start getting withdrawal pains, then just buy a cheap one. As for amps, voltage in Europe is 220-240, so different to the US. Not worth bringing one over, so again buy a cheap amp and perhaps sell both before you go back.

Good luck and enjoy yourself

3. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member

If I was you, I'd just bring a nice acoustic.

:eek: You're crazy!

4. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member

What a drag that sounds like...

If it were me going, I'd buy a medium sized acoustic with a jazzy kind of round neck and take that with me.
    I could not simply "set aside the guitar" it is too big a part of my life to set aside for a year. Besides you might not return.
    Stranger things have happened.

5. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Yea, I thought about bringing over my strat (08 American Standard) because its got the so called "flight case." i figured if its in the name it must reliable, right? haha. john, love the pic. glad you caught on to the humor. if i were to bring my guitar in case can i bring it on the airplane (as in carry on)? i REALLY don't want to put it below with the luggage. last time i traveled to france my industrial suitcase took a beating. can only imagine what my guitar would look like after that. could i just bring my strat and plug it into a european amp? i know these questions sound kinda dumb, but i couldn't imagine a year without.

6. johnreardon

Airlines are getting stricter as to what you can carry on board so it's best to check beforehand. You take a chance in the hold, however, you do have success stories.

I brought a PRS Hollowbody back from the States, back in 2005. It went in the hold. I just put the guitar in its case, then placed it in a cardboard box packed with those plastic peanut things. It arrived safely. In fact the guitar had already travelled from California to Baltimore the same way in a plane.

I would still leave the guitar home and buy a cheap used guitar and amp in France, then sell both when you go home.

Of course guitars would work plugged into any amp, regardless of where it's from.

As for forgetting guitars and enjoying yourself, I am dead serious. From the age of about 15 and a half to nearly 25, I spent the majority of my time gigging and had little if any time for other things. Yes I had a great time but looking back I now realise how much had passed me by, such as travel and education.

I did manage to get married to a lovely girl, but my whole life, back then, was playing in the band. When the band broke up, I decided to take some time (22 years) away from music. I found there were other things in life and hardly touched a guitar during that time. Back in 1993, I decided to take it up again and now having as good time as I did back in the 60s. BTW still married to the same lady.

Music and guitars are great, but to be brutally honest, most of us are not going to make the 'big time', so when an opportunity presents itself such as you have, then grab it and let music take a back seat

7. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

I don't know, if it was me spending a year abroad at that age I'd definitely not want to be without a guitar, but I'd rather have a beater that I wouldn't worry too much about getting dinged, like an inexpensive acoustic, than an American Std Strat.

I've always found that music is a great way to make new friends and connect with people instantly, so having a guitar with me is something I couldn't do without.

8. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

you have extremely refined taste in guitars:)

9. johnreardon

they are not actually that good, at least for me. Recently gave mine to my son as I prefer my Gibson semis. As with a lot of PRS, the pickups let them down

10. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

*sigh*

i played a semi hollow prs that i also didnt think was good, but the jumbos ive seen are too pretty to not sound good :D

i think im best off never playing one so i can believe.

11. johnreardon

just because a guitar is pretty doesn't mean it sounds good. IMO too many people are taken in by the looks of PRS. I was with the CU24 I bought. For me, it was a huge disappointment, so I sold it

12. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

yeah, i wanted to want the single cutaway so bad when i was les paul shopping, but they just didnt match up.

i do think they sound good. i think they $500ish ones are better value than the high end ones ive played

13. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Anyone else got any input when it comes to getting guitars across the pond?

14. granter

granter Strat-Talker

I think if you got an Anvil touring case, it would survive the cargo hold and anything else you could throw at her.
    Also, I'd get a Martin travel guitar for playing while walking through the French alps.

Attached Files:

15. IanOZ

IanOZ Strat-Talk Member

Grab one there. Take a walk down Rue de Victor Massey in Paris - 22 music shops with some fabbo gear, and the guys behind the counter are so cool! You'll hear some great players too. Just don't go at lunchtime - they all close for lunch!

16. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

i somehow forgot to mention how insanely jealous i am that youre going to france denny! i want to see paris so bad!

17. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

john, from what i gathered he just wants to play his guitar while he is there. not go out gigging and joining a band and spending all his time doing that. i can't go somewhere for a week without wanting to play, and i don't play in a band or anything, just by myself

18. johnreardon

I realise that and I wanted to do the same at his age. Just trying to explain there are other things around, particularly (and I don't know it it's the case) it's his first visit to Europe.

France and mainland Europe are fabulous places within easy reach and the last thing on my mind would be concerns about guitars. I would be listing out my travel schedule for the year and if I picked up a guitar somewhere, then so be it.

Guitars are not our sole purpose in life :D

19. BlackJadeDX

BlackJadeDX Strat-Talk Member

I used a Hohner G3T and case, teamed up with a Zoom 9002 for my travels with the Army. Looks like a bulky shotgun case. Very compact and useable...
    Webby

20. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Great advice guys. And thanks for the kind words. John, my mum is English and I'm a dual citizen. I've been to Europe about half a dozen times already, but i definitely get what you're saying. I'm so pumped and can't wait to get over there. SarNz is right. I just want something to noodle around on that I don't have to spend a million bucks on. Needless to say next year is going to be expensive and I'm working my butt off trying to make as much money this summer as possible for the travels.