Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

learning fretboard

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by stratman in va, Jul 11, 2017.

1. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    There was a discussion on here on learning the fretboard. Someone mentioned having issues with the CAGED method. Many years ago, I used The Guitar Handbook by Tom Wheeler as a guide. I do not have a copy of it, but it contained a full fretboard chart for learning scales.

I think the lessons posted below are pretty similar, but presented in smaller lessons.

https://terencewrightguitar.com/major-scale/#1

ocean likes this.

2. thebowl

thebowl Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    It looks like the "CAGED" layout, with some intermediate steps.

For me, there can be no such thing as "bad learning". That is an oxymoron. All the CAGED "system" really is is a way of visualizing the fretboard, an aid to learning it. And I said "learning", not "memorizing", because there are different ways of learning it. Whether you memorize a string at a time, or a note at a time or, like I do, keep a fretboard diagram handy, and learn the relationship of various licks and rhythm patterns to chord structure as you learn the licks and patterns, as long as the result is that you know where the notes are, it seems really trivial to me how you get there.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    one thing that helps is to learn a single major scale all over the neck.
    it has 7 patterns..learn these patterns and how they fit together like a puzzle.
    this one is C major (A minor)
    if you learn this you will have also learned modal patterns.
    for instance, the pattern starting on C at the 8th fret is an Ionian pattern
    the one starting on D at the 10th fret is a Dorian pattern
    and so on.....E phrygian, F lydian, G mixolydian, A aeolian, and B locrian
    then, to change keys, simply shift this enire pattern up or down the neck like a conveyor belt.
    cmajorscale-3nps.gif
    c-major-scale-icon_guitar111115z8yr2.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    This is most excellent

heltershelton likes this.

6. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil

7. avri70

avri70 Strat-Talker

May 29, 2014
    planet earth
    Im now going through ' guitar theory illustrated 'By don latarski. It helps me a lot!
    It starts off with locating the notes caged, single string and then within several positions.A step by step approach with lots of exercises and he explains every topic in a very easy-to-understand- way.
    I finally found my friend in learning the notes on the fretboard.