Left handed but play right hand guitar

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ocean, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tbrtt1

tbrtt1 Strat-Talker

Ditto for Steve Morse. Lots of leftys playing rightys. I started in the classical world in school with cello. There are no lefty cellos, violins , etc.

2. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

im left handed. i could never understand the whole left handed right hand playing thing, to me, all the technical movement is done with the fret hand, to me, that is my left hand, but its called playing right handed.
    the right hand is just moving up and down, or hiting individual strings, but still all the work is done with the left hand.
    so why, why is it called playing right handed????

sorry, been bugging me for 30 years, feels good to let it out.

yes, im a little strange.....

3. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Strat-Talker

Glad to hear I'm not alone.
    I write and eat lefty, but do everything else right handed.
    Including play. Since we have this right brain / left brain conflict, I've often wondered if I'd be better off the other way, but it never seemed natural.
    Picking seems forced, and I thought maybe it would be better to use the hand you write with.

I wish I could be inside an artist's brain to feel what they feel when they play. That, "Ahhh, that's it" feeling.

4. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

I feel they call it right handed cause ALL the timing and strumming right hand, and rhythm most important,,, that is why I think I am having trouble with rhythm ,, but what do I know ;)