Lefty Fender strats with thicker necks?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by aon8, Jun 3, 2021.

1. aon8

aon8 New Member!

Hello,

I have a MIJ Limited Edition Traditional 60's lefty strat and the thing I dislike about it the most is how thin the neck is. I think it was advertised as "U" but I'm not so sure about that... I also have a MIJ Traditional 50's Tele (also supposedly with an "U" neck) and the neck on that is quite a bit thicker. That one is in the ballpark of what I consider acceptable, it could be slightly wider though.

I think the American Vintage '56 lefty might have a reasonably thick neck? These appear to be relatively rare but they do pop up from time to time... Besides that, does anyone know of other options? MIA / MIJ / MIM I don't really care as long it's a Fender - otherwise it'd make more sense to me to go full custom...

My absolute ideal specs otherwise, at least as far as stuff that's hard to change, seem to happen like between 1972 - 1981 but I don't know how the neck profiles are on these vintage ones? And in any case they probably are a lot more individual than later re-issues and should be tested before buying...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. aon8

aon8 New Member!

I wonder how the necks on 2003 - 2006 Highway One are? Says "modern C" but at least it's wider at the nut?

Also looks like before the American Vintage '56 there was American Vintage '57 ?

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I actually havre two leftys available both with the 50's era fat back necks should anyone be interested.

r

Nubs and Baelzebub like this.
  4. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I am really sorry, I misunderstood (I read "thin" instead of "thick"), please ignore this post.

Baelzebub likes this.
  5. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Welcome, fellow lefty!

generally 50's strats have thicker necks.

Also, "C", "D" and "U" shape necks don't tell much how thick they are. It just tells how the curvature of the back of the neck looks like.
    You might want to take a look at the "Deep C" neck profile from the American Professional series. I felt them really nice and thick-ish.

Another one is the AVRI 57.

A good website of reference is Wildwood guitars. Look at the neck depth at 1st and 12th fret.

aon8, Nubs and Baelzebub like this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I find that guitars like the Clapton with a soft V neck are a nice compromise. But if you decide to go full custom, I can recommend you take a look at the two @Ronkirn said he has on offer. In addition to being works of art, his pickups sound fantastically stratty.

7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Yes, Highway 1s were "Modern C" but they also had a 1 11/16" nut width (or 1.6875" or 43mm - maybe 42.8mm? - width). Modern C is roughly .820" at the first fret/.870" at the 12th fret. I say roughly because Fender necks do tend to vary.

Yes, there was an AVRI '57 Strat prior to the AV '56 Strat - but the necks on them were thinner in depth than the AV '56 neck. There were two versions of the AVRI '57 - the original version (made 1982-84 by CBS/Fender in Fullerton and from late 1985-mid 1998 by FMIC/Fender in Corona); some of the original versions don't have the V-shaped neck; they are more or less in-between a C and a V and fairly thin in depth; Fender was going for a "vintage vibe" instrument back in 1982 rather than an accurate re-creation. The 2nd version, which ran from mid-1998 to mid-2012, was more accurate but it was still a reasonably thin V-shaped neck - seems like it was supposed to be .840" at the 1st fret/.900" at the 12th fret but it could be thinner than that.

The AV '56 starts in August 2012 and runs through 2017 and it has a larger "soft V" shaped neck - it's supposed to be .900" at the 1st fret and .960" at the 12th fret. These were replaced by the American Original '50s model, which has the same neck shape but with a 9.5" radius and somewhat larger frets. All the AVRI/AV models will have the 7.25" radius and small vintage frets.

However if you're also concerned with nut width all the AVRI/AV/AO necks will be no wider than 1.650" (and some of the earlier AVRIs might even be 1.625" wide at the nut).

8. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I went to your site, but couldn't find the 2 you speak of....

I'll sign this as:

Curious Lefty.....:):)

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

they're not listed... I just haven't had time to get the new listings up.. if interested, email me..

Ron

crawdaddy likes this.
  10. aon8

aon8 New Member!

Thanks for the detailed answer! I guess maybe I'll set my sights for a '56 then. I find it's a balancing act between the thickness and width - thick and narrow is better than thin and narrow but wider and "not that thick" might also be OK.

Going custom is certainly one option and would get me all the specs just the way I want them. But I think I'll stay on the look-out for an off-the-shelf one for now, as I'm not in a hurry....