Join Strat-Talk Today

Leo’s original vision behind SSS, a 3 way switch, two tone knobs; and neither wired to the bridge.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

I love the sound of the middle pickup on its own. Jerry Garcia rode the middle pickup during the 70s, their best era.

Nate D likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

The logic was straight forward. What you would expect from a engineer, which Leo was.
    Now, how that would later relate the future Jaguar's control scheme is completely beyond my comprehension.
    (maybe they developed an overstock of those two poistion sliders)
    I know guys that have not figured out that control layout to this day.
    And, I have also worked with a few crazy engineers over the years, so who knows what Leo was thinking.

3. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

I haven't had my Strat very long, but I've quickly come to the conclusion that the middle pickup is "home". I switch to neck for that flutey lead tone, or to the bridge when I need to inflict some pain, but always come back home to the middle.

Or I can think of them as vowel sounds - the neck is "oooh", the middle is "aah" and the bridge is "EEE".

T Guitar Floyd, dirocyn and Silverman like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

The in-between settings weren't in the design plan, but you know how things catch on once someone figures it out.

sssstratsss likes this.
  5. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I think Leo’s original configuration works just fine, except for the lack of tone control on the bridge pickup. But that’s easily fixed with a jumper.

AxemanVR likes this.
  6. PCollen

Been playing Strats and Teles since mid 80's, and never heard the term "blower switch" until about 3 weeks ago. How can a SWITCH POSITION (1 or 5, or 3) be referred to as a SWITCH ?

7. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Generally, the "blower switch" is a separate switch... whether toggle or S1, that bypasses both the tone and volume controls, connecting the pickup directly to the output jack without the 250/500k bleed of the volume pot.
    I have heard the term used to refer to no-load tone circuits that are electrically out of the loop at "10", and the same would apply to a 5-way position that has no tone control active (1 for traditional, 3 for Greasebucket/Delta) but you do still have the load of the volume pot.

I suppose you could be creative with a Superswitch, or perhaps even a 5-way, to provide a position that bypasses the volume pot.

8. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

I still refer to Pos 1 on an Esquire or pre-1967 Telecaster as the "Mud Switch", and am completely unrepentant about it.

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

I've always heard it refered to as a "bypass" switch. It's something that I usually add to my Teles, using a SPST toggle installed between the pots.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I wire up my Esquire with the normal three way.
    Rear/middle/front:
    Full blow/with tone/modified Eldred with a .0068.

11. PCollen

I've never played a guitar wired straight to an amp, with no volume pot or tone control. But considering that would make the effective load on a pickup infinite at the output jack, the only load on the pickups when playing would be the load presented by the amplifier input resistance or that of the first effect pedal, cable resistance being negligable. Not sure if that might make the pickup sound very bright, or dull.

Is "blower" analogous to a supercharger on a car.

12. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

No-one will know for certain but my thinking is that he meant for there to be two changeable sounds for rhythm ( neck and middle, each able to be less or more trebly) and then a third for solos, which didn't need a tone control because it just needed to cut through. To me this sounds kind of obvious but it really is just my opinion.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

slowesthand likes this.
  13. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It will go "bright"... just as Fenders use 250k pots, but Gibson goes 500k because 250k can get a bit "dark" on humbuckers.
    G&L went 1m on my early '90s Climax HSS, and while it's nice on the humbucker, the single coils are simply too bright. It doesn't help that there is only a single tone control, so the neck and middle can't be "tuned" to match using the tone circuit. It really needs either a 500k volume pot, or a 1m/250k dual.

14. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Fender went from 250K to 1M in the early 1970s didn't they? (And only went back when they started doing reissues?)

15. PCollen

No...Fender only used 1M pots with the OTC aftermarket Noiseless pickup sets, but put 500Ks in the guitars that came with the Noiseless...at least my Amer Standard Deluxe had 500K with the Noiseless.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

It also had to do with the capacitance of the older cables which clipped off the treble. They were designed to cut through a mix.

But yeah, Leo did love the high end. In a Strat book I read, I forget which one, Leo was excited to show off his bridge pickup design for the Strat and played it for some of the usual suspects like Freddy and Bill Carson and so on, and they were all screaming about how piercing it was.

I also think part of it was the sinus issue Leo had going on. Who knows...

I like the quack. I like my neck and middle wired into the top tone and I like the bottom on the bridge alone. I actually use my middle pickup by itself. I’m weird I guess.

17. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Or did Leo have tinnitus? That would explain it. I like a fair amount of treble to cut through mine. Maybe he had the same issue.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Nate D likes this.
  18. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

What time period are you talking about?

Fender definitely started putting 1M pots in Telecasters circa ~'69 or '70, and all through the remaining CBS years. Was it not the same for Strats and Jazzmasters?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.