Les Paul content... I’m sorely tempted

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Tsjackson, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

JB74, ZlurkCorzDog and Believer7713 like this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    ZlurkCorzDog and Ebidis like this.
  3. Ebidis

Yes it's wrong. Your guitars are not the same as mine, therefore you must be shunned. :sneaky:

ZlurkCorzDog, Believer7713 and JB74 like this.
  4. Believer7713

Now don't be jealous because my guitars are cooler...[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JB74 and Ebidis like this.
  5. Ebidis

Only in some strange alternate reality where giant Pink Man Bunny Things ride motorcycles. :D

ZlurkCorzDog, Believer7713 and JB74 like this.
  6. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I see this as an exercise in futility.

I applaud the sentiment, however I humbly suggest leaving it as a thought and not pursue the idea.

If you want a 25.5 scale LP, there are a lot of ways to go about it. Epi already make them - someone's posted the nighthawk already...

BUT - if you must make this a DIY, then Warmoth neck, and be mindful of all the very time consuming setup work, extensive and precise woodworking skill that is required to properly fit a glued in neck tenon. IOW, really, leave it to a professional ($$$$) or buy a PRS or Epi or other object of desire.

7. Believer7713

Well I have to make up for a lack of talent when it comes to playing guitar somehow.[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ZlurkCorzDog, JB74 and Ebidis like this.
  8. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

But they’re so ugly... ha Although I didn’t know they were strat scale.

ZlurkCorzDog and JB74 like this.
  9. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Well some of the broken ones are £200, not the one I pictured though for some reason that one is £300 so a new one is considerably more expensive

10. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

I just prefer it (I have hands like frying pans) and I’m not bothered with the difference between Gibson or epi innards, I just think les Paul’s are quite pretty looking but have never bonded with ones I’ve had largely because I don’t like the scale length and comparatively flat fretboard.
    I also don’t like PRS guitars for no reason other than looks I’m ashamed to say

11. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

The one pictures is by far the prettiest one for sale, there are more and cheaper ones with breaks at or before the headstock. Photo was just because that guitar is (was) pretty ha.
    I have all the tools and am well aware I may need to refinish something, that being the case id likely strip and oil finish the body over trying to spray colour and clear coat. I also have a strat neck in my cupboard doing nothing, although I’m quite keen on the blocks and binding so am leaning a little towards replacing the fretboard and moving the bridge and tailpiece... I also have a bound and trapeze inlaid 25.5” fretboard in the shed so again no extra money needed.
    So IF I get a headstock break epi les Paul plus top pro + a replacement adjustable bridge I’m likely looking at spending £300.
    Which is ok, as a fully functional one would likely be a bit more than that.

and again, not a fan of PRS. If I’m honest I only like fender guitars other than a pretty les Paul. That’s pretty much the only exception. And the long scale les Paul Gibson did a few years ago was mega bucks and I’d rather drop £300 on altering an epiphone than £3000 on a custom Gibson.
    Unless money didn’t matter, then I’d just buy the gibbo and be done with it

12. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

AMS has an LP style guitar, the Kramer Assault 220 plus, with a 25 1/2 inch scale for $549.00 on closeout. Probably be cheaper to just buy one of those instead of repairing and or altering a broken guitar.

simoncroft likes this.
  13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. Now I've got a better idea of where you're coming from with this, I have a suggestion that might get you the guitar you want without either the horrible compromises you'd have to make putting a 25.5" fingerboard onto a 24.75" scale guitar neck when it comes to the position of the pickups and the bridge, or the problems you'd encounter putting a Fender neck onto an instrument that was never designed for it.

How about one of these necks? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unfinish...968513?hash=item2f44658bc1:g:sT8AAOSwqQpe1PLp

I know you're not a PRS fan, but you could easily reshape the headstock into something suitably Epiphone-like. Yes, you'd need to reroute the body, but if you do it right, you'll end up with an instrument that has structural integrity and looks like it was designed to be the way it is, rather than two brands lashed together.

This might be a cool alternative: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Guit...910002?hash=item2f44fd3db2:g:500AAOSwVvZeV7fG

EDIT: If I've found the right one, they want £329 for that guitar on ebay. That seems a lot of money to me. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone...043937?hash=item3fe07a30e1:g:jQ4AAOSwXbZeps~R

Tsjackson and Stratwrangler like this.
  14. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

that made something fly out of my nose.

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. simoncroft

The Hagstrom Super Swede is at a similar price point and matches the spec as well. Oddly enough, the Ultra Swede and the plain Swede are Gibson scale length, so only the Super Swede has the Fender scale. The frets aren't always finished to the highest standard, but nothing that can't be sorted out with a good fret dress and set-up.

The Kramer Assault 220 FR is only $380, according to the web site: https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/KRA6ZN369/Assault-220/Black

That's about the same price as an Episode with a busted neck... except they cost more over here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/kramer-...MIirPe0Myn6gIVVu3tCh3wAQWxEAQYASABEgJnV_D_BwE

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  16. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Yes it’s a lot for a shagged guitar, the less pretty ones are cheaper. Yeah I’d seen those and thought about it before, I’ve even seen warmoth LP shaped necks with fender scales etc.

I’m planning my next project without any money to back it up yet, what I may do is keep an eye out for an epi les Paul std for under £200 so I’ve got one and then go from there. I’d rather not separate a perfectly good neck from a body but I’d quite happily replace the fretboard...

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions, unfortunately the ONLY les Paul style guitar I like is an actual les Paul (epi or Gibson)
    I know I can get a LP ish guitar but I think most of them are fugly and if I’m going to get one I want it to look and feel how I want it to.

Who knows, I may win £3000 on the lottery tonight and I can buy one of the 25.5” Gibson Les Paul’s they did a few years ago.

Then all I’d need to do with that is pull the frets, radius the fretboard, put 6230 wire in and get an adjustable bridge and were in business!

obviously I’m joking, I don’t even play the lottery!

simoncroft likes this.
  17. simoncroft

I just listened to a Gibson Les Paul Long Scale Les Paul, and I must say I'm hearing a little more snap and separation. You might just be onto something. :)

Deathray, Tsjackson and Groovey like this.
  18. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Oh man the split inlays too! Those are almost worth the price tag...

These are the biggest reason I prefer 25.5” scale haha
    04A39B99-E762-4A8A-8456-0B23C201DF9C.jpeg

the one and only time my wife’s worktop measuring thing has actually been used for its intended purpose... measuring musicians hands!

but I genuinely struggle with any shorter scale length past about the 10th, definately past the 12th.
    I’ve had 2 epi les Pauls, an epi SG, a Gibson firebird, a fender mustang, a Schecter, I’ve tried my mates gretsch and riki and 335 and I just can’t get comfortable with them.
    And I’m quite happy to go through life without almost all of those but I would like a Les Paul.

simoncroft likes this.
  19. simoncroft

I empathise. My hands aren't as big as yours, but I can only play on certain neck dimensions. Slender necks give me cramps, and the two neck profiles I'm most comfortable with on an electric guitar are Warmoth Fatback on Fender-type instruments, and 1958 profile on Gibsons. I also struggle a little with the Epiphone fingerboard width compared to the Gibson. Even bass guitars sometimes have neck profiles too thin for me.

For me, scale length isn't so important, but I totally understand why it would be for you.

Your thread has put me on a little quest now: the most cost-effective way to get a decent LP-type with the specs we each want! I'll let you know when I make some progress. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Tsjackson likes this.
  20. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Yeah the difference is measured at my fingers but the discomfort is in the back of my hand or deep in my wrist!

good luck with your quest, for sure let me know