Les Paul's What's the Big Attraction?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by ImGoodThanks, Aug 13, 2021.

1. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I have indeed had the headstock break off when a drunk knocked it off the stand at a gig, on New Year's Eve. What a way to start the new year! But I've had Les Pauls and currently still have two and have had no issues with them staying in tune. In fact they stay in tune very well. I played only Gibsons for a number of years before I decided I had to get a Strat. I had played Strats owned by other guitar players in bands I was in. I did fall in love with maple necked Strats and one has been my main player ever since. I still play the Les Pauls for certain sounds and songs and I do still love them.

Tguitarfloyd and Biddlin like this.
  2. bbigd0

bbigd0 Strat-Talk Member

I haven't touched a Gibson Les Paul since approx 1972/73 (Yes, I Know, I'm old !). It was a Beauty alright. A Black Beauty with Gold Hardware & Heavy as Hell. But for a 6pc touring Rock Band it was magic. Through a Bassman head with 2, 2 X 12 Cabs. Way too heavy but ...
    My Les Paul for these days is my Yamaha Revstar RS620. A wonderful Guitar that only cost $499.00. Sounds dynamite and plays the same way. And too heavy, but not Les Paul heavy.
    Wouldn't dream of wasting $ on a Modern Gibson ... Sorry. Not the same anymore.

drp146 likes this.
  3. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

I had three Lesters over the years - a Deluxe, A Standard and a Custom. I have never been one to lament the guitars I got rid of, largely because I never had to sell them out of need for money. And that's the case with the Les Pauls - they were just too heavy, and on the Standard, I also didn't like the way the top was laminated.

All that said, I absolutely love the hollow body ES Les Paul with it's carved center block. I purchased it 5 years ago. It is nice and light. Ya do have to be careful to avoid feedback or use it creatively.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    drp146 likes this.
  4. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

They all have their unique voices. Shorter scale vs longer scale neck. Must be a reason EVH preferred to use a Gibson pickup in a Strat though.

Stonetone likes this.
  5. Surf Green

Surf Green Strat-Talk Member

I cant afford the Gibson versions, but I have Epiphone LP & SG. I much prefer the SG. My personal preferences are

SG>LP

and

Tele>hss Strat>sss Strat

I prefer the brighter, more aggressive tone.

6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

And whats not to like here ?

20200301_122259.jpg

Tguitarfloyd, nadzab, Textele and 9 others like this.
  7. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

I love my Strat's, and I like my Les Paul as well. One is not better than the other, sound wise, as they are such different animals. The humbuckers are a nice "thick" sound, especially through a distortion pedal. Fat and round clean sound is really nice as well compared to a single coil, as well as the noise cancelling feature. But IME any quality humbucker will get you that sound. Notwithstanding, I'm older and just wanted a Les Paul for nostalgic reasons and it took me this long in my life to be able to afford one. I personally think its way more uncomfortable to play than a Strat, has really limited upper fret access, and is ridiculously expensive. I have an ES-335 as well which is my go to humbucker guitar (certainly over my LP). If you want to try a Les Paul, I am a firm supporter of Epiphone's offerings (I have a few of those as well :oops:) as they are a quality instrument at a fraction of the Gibson price.

PeteGeordie and ImGoodThanks like this.
  8. NGS LONDON

NGS LONDON Strat-Talk Member

I remember playing a black one in Gig Sounds in Streatham and my keyboard player Patrick Brown was rolling on a DX7. It was a completely different experience. Huge stairways of passages came out of that thing and we stood the place still for about 15 min. They are, the really good ones, like riding goddess after goddess!!! Incredible guitars.

Tguitarfloyd, nadzab, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  9. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

With Mr. Knopfler's credentials he can play any damn guitar he pleases ( and well ) . I have a Les Paul I bought in 1990 , but I also have six Strats . I have played Fenders almost exclusively since I got my first Esquire in 1969 . I used the LP mostly for recordings , but on occasion it made it on stage as well . I just prefer the feel of a Fender . But who knows ? I could end up buying another Les Paul !! Different animals , that is for sure !

ImGoodThanks likes this.
  10. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

StratUp and circles like this.
  11. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Glorious lower-mids and low-end. Plus, they can be so beautiful. A great Les Paul really is a work of art.

My latest, a 2021 R9:

20210814_193845.jpg

12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Ohhhh, I like !

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  13. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

Singlehandedly (pun) Jimmy Page!

Tguitarfloyd and ImGoodThanks like this.
  14. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack

Les Paul has a What's The Big Attraction?

As much as I'd love a goldtop with p90s, I'd still rather have a 335 than a Lester.

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

I'm not into Les Pauls, but that's as far as it goes. Plenty of players like them. Were it not for Mike Bloomfield, they could have been gone for good by 1960!

For the single cutaway set neck thing, I'm a Jet fan.

16. jblue

jblue Strat-Talk Member

Simply put; Porshe (Strat) or '70 Chevelle SS w/454 (LP). Both fun to drive, but which do you prefer? I wonder if it has to do with our personalities? Gentlemen prefer Strats, rough boys-LP's? Then there's bonding with an instrument. Out of five guitars, my favorite is an LP (from a technical standpoint, the least desirable of three), second is an '88 Strat plus. The "big attraction"? The growl, the bite. It's like power beyond my control, a bull that tries hard to throw me! (metaphor-I don't ride bulls) It plays me vs. the other way around. My LP's cranked through and early Marshall—I feel the vibration in my body. When I finish playing, my mind goes "Whew!? Curious to hear feedback about the personality aspect.

17. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Never felt comfortable playing a Les Paul, and never felt that their tone is so special.
    Les Pauls do make a statement when you play them on stage: "Look Mom! I'm a Rocker!".

18. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

Mmm mmm ! That goldtop with P90s is callin my name !! :thumb:

19. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I used to go into Gig Sounds in Streatham back in the day.

Long gone now. :(

s5tuart likes this.
  20. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

A1E5FF39-463D-48DC-97FC-A27E97B21DEA.jpeg
    Could not agree more. Back when I started out, my lessons were at a Gibson (but not Fender) dealer so I was exposed to the Gibson line and naturally gravitated that way, since I was seeing shiny new LPs and SGs on the wall every week. I was lucky enough to get an affordable deal on a used ‘71 LP Custom and economics being what they were, that was my only electric for a long time. Still the most comfortable style guitar for me to play. I owned a few other guitars over the years (including a Fender Jag) but nothing stayed around long term except the Custom. In the later 2010s I started to have the means to build a collection of instruments I like to play, so I finally got a Strat (Elite) which I absolutely love. I also picked up my second LP (2017 Standard HP) which is my #1. So I have a dyslexic pair of LPs, ‘71 & ‘17. And if you check out the rack in the picture you will see Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Ibanez, Takamine, even Chapman so I’m certainly not locked into Les Pauls but they do have a look for sure!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Tguitarfloyd, Textele and Stonetone like this.