Less treble and less bright

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by wilkoo, May 31, 2021.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I'd rub some Bengay ointment on it. It'll warm right up.

2. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

Oh no! Not a shrilly strat! Haha!
    No really, I think most guitarist have noticed that. All the suggestions are right as far as tone knob and caps ect.
    My solution was a low wind vintage style pickup on my ash deluxe maple neck. I have never used a humbucker on a strat but some do.
    I also like a darker amp. I am down with the brown.
    Maybe a baritone guitar. That will lower the treble. Seriously, I never could find my singing voice til I played one. I still sound like a frog but my range is right.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  3. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Have you tried switching up the type of strings your using?

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  4. ClassicRocker808

ClassicRocker808 New Member!

When I think of Strat tone, I think of 60's and Hendrix tone. Do yourself a favor and try a set of Fender Pure Vintage 65's pickups! Perfect tone and NO ice pick on the bridge pickup. Very reasonable price too!!

5. Wylde Horses

Wylde Horses Strat-Talk Member

Another option is to install an aluminum plate under the pickguard, or use an anodized aluminum pickguard. It is not only effective in shielding the electronics to reduce noise (you would have to add shielding to the cavity as well to take full advantage of it), but it also affects the magnetic field produced by the pickups, taking the edge off the highs. It was exactly what I needed for a set of pickups that were otherwise a little too harsh/ice-picky/garish in that guitar.

6. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

Before investing in some pickups install a blender pot. It allows you to blend the neck and bridge pickups. Turn the bottom tone knob closer to 5 or 6 and you have an even mix of both pickups. And/or change the capacitor to a 0.033 or 0.047. It will cut some of the highs in all pickups, except the bridge pickup if the guitar has standard Strat wiring. Then, if you don’t like these mods, buy some new pickups. My Strat has Fralin Blues Specials with the blender pot. Wonderful pickups.

7. Middle Earth

Middle Earth Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum. As people have recommended, tone pots, capacitors and, maybe, Alnico II pickups. A2 pickups tend to be smother in the treble frequencies.

8. wilkoo

wilkoo New Member!

After adjusting the height of the pickups and tone knobs, I found a good sound by adding a compression pedal (basic Chinese). I am rather happy with the result, the compressor correctly attenuates the brilliance of the treble.
    Thank you for all these very nice answers

Middle Earth likes this.
  9. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Seymour Duncan SSL-4 or MK Guitar´s Schecter F500T replica´s will probably give the tone you ask for, but they´re pretty hot.