1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Let’s talk overdrives

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by guitarface, Sep 23, 2020.

1. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talk Member

The deal with a fuzz face is that there is a wide range of sound you can get with just the volume on the guitar and the pedal. You can get good approximations of a 3 stage clean/crunchy/lead tone with just a fuzz face. This “system” does take the right size amplifier though, with some headroom. A Deluxe Reverb is enough to get this old school hard rock method going.

bustoff likes this.
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve got a few overdrives and a few preamps and a few distortion pedals... Oh and some Fuzzface’s too.

My TS9 from 83 is in a drawer. It’s fine but my Zendrive does all that and then some. My Boss/Keeley DS1 is also in a drawer. It’s not my thing. I’d rather have my Timmy.

So what I’ve got going on my board currently is a Vertex Steel String into my Zendrive or my Klon/Klone pushing my Timmy. Sometimes Vertex, Timmy, Zendrive or Klone, Timmy, Zendrive. The Timmy and the Zendrive are the ones for me.

3. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

Over the last 20+ years I have used a DOD TR3R (Dist/Chorus/Delay) with a combination of tube amps. Recently, I have used a stock Blues driver, and a Rt 66 V2 Overdrive/compression pedal.

I just picked up a Roland Blues Cube 30W and haven't run a single pedal thorough it but want to see how it pairs with the Rt 66. If you're not familiar with the Roland BC, it's solid state but really sounds/behaves like a tube amp.

4. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

For a fairly neutral overdrive I use a Fulltone OCD v 1.6.
    I use it mostly on the LP filter with a strat but on HP it rips. I was very apprehensive buying one tbh as they have changed the sound a lot with the various iterations and I couldn't find a single YouTube video where they sounded good (but that turned out to be the ongoing issue that 99% of youtube gear demos and "personalities" have no clue how to mic an amp or think that using a cab sim to demo something is OK etc.). Its a great pedal, at least the 1.6 version is.

I have a Soul Food which is also great as a boost or to push the OCD.

For when I can't crank a non master volume amp and want that Marshall tone I use a Purple Plexi (Lovepedal):

Please note, his base tone is epic and yours won't sound like that unless your base tone is also epic. You do need to pay attention to your base tone if you want to get the best out of pedals! Its not just plug n win. No matter how much you spend..

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Double switch version of the @ - nice.

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I had a Euphoria (used to be called Ecstacy,) and I would say transparent depending on the setting - great pedal, but read the instructions on setting the knobs - it's not your typical tone stack...

7. Iuchilton

Iuchilton New Member!

It's amazing how good that Ultimate Drive is, isn't it? Love that thing. I have that stacked into my trust original, unmodified Boss BD-2.
    Get everything I need from those two.

8. potsy

potsy New Member!

I have spent some time down this rabbit hole... settled on a PettyJohn pettydrive (his Chime & Iron in one box) I think it does what you are describing. If you have spent a lot of mind space having your guitar sound gorgeous, with these drives it still sounds like your guitar. I have tried a Greer, Timmy, and I can’t remember how many others. Many. What they do is make things sound a bit flat. PettyJohn doesn’t, to my ears. I’m on single coils into a tweed deluxe. I think you’d find the PettyJohn is worth trying.

9. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

I’ve owned a Klon, a Klon-ish
    Pedal (VFE Merman), a Suhr Riot Reloaded, Bogner, LovePedal, RockBox Boiling Point, a 70s DOD distortion, a couple Wamplers, various Boss pedals, etc.

I bought, and kept, an Ibanez TS808dx. I run it on 18v and found it does exactly what I want.

10. Martin Gibson

Martin Gibson New Member!

I recently bought a JHS Morning Glory as an (almost) always on Bluesbreaker-style overdrive and a Keeley Red Dirt as a solo boost TS-style overdrive. So far I've only tried the RD after the MG, and it sounds amazing to me (through a Princeton).

None of that answers your question, since a Katana is a totally different thing.

11. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Both the Prince of Tone and Morning Glory have been on my wish list.

EC Strat likes this.
  12. Stratacaster

Stratacaster Strat-Talk Member

The Empress Multidrive is my go to. Incredible crunch tones for leads.

13. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Nice setup. I was about to mention the PoT and KoT (more difficult to get one) as great for stacking anything with.

I’ve got my KoT running after either a Timmy, XTS Multi-Drive, or Maxon SD-9, depending on what I’m playing.

You also have the Compressor Plus. I just got mine. That opens up a lot more sonic possibilities. Great comp!

EC Strat likes this.
  14. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-O-Master

I've owned many Overdrives over the years. These days, I use A Nobels ODR-Mini. I also like the Caline Pegasus CP-43 Klon clone. (I know, I know; go ahead & say that the Pegasus is a "cheap Chinese junk" pedal. If you try one, your criticisms will likely be unfounded!). Sometimes I use them in tandem, feeding the Nobels w/the Pegasus. Either of these pedals in tandem with my Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp's onboard OD/Dist. Channel is really good as well.

15. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Used two Analogman-pedals for a while. Sold’em for almost $500 each, and bough a new guitar instead.
    12A48D60-6272-4AAE-B894-1C148F88D5B2.jpeg

EC Strat, gitapik and ChrisD like this.
  16. Avenger78

Avenger78 Strat-Talk Member

I’m a minimalist after years of being a gear hound I decided to choose the best of my current gear (guitars and amps) sell the rest along with the mediocre plethora of pedals I had accumulated and have a small pedalboard with 4 pedals and a tuner ... that all being said, I use the Analogman~King of Tone ... IMO it can’t be beat

17. stratmister

stratmister Strat-Talk Member

I used to have 4 different OD pedals but about 20yrs ago I sold all my pedals and plug straight into the amp, I like the natural OD tone I get between GAIN and MASTER. But if I was to buy one today it would be the Tube screamer.

18. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talk Member

I have a few but my favorite is my Simble. It's supposed to mimic a Dumble. I obviously don't have a Dumble sitting here to compare it to, but the Simble sounds amazing to my ears. It has a knob that lets you dial in a sag type of effect that replicates a tube rectified amp being pushed. My second favorite is my Big Muff Pi with tone wicker, but that's a fuzz not an OD so I guess that's a completely different bag of cats.

19. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I presume you’re liking the nobels?

20. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master

I have quite a few overdrives, but my three favorite are; Greer Lightspeed, J-Rockett Dude, and the elMo.

I use the Lightspeed with my Marshall’s, the Dude with my Fender and Marshall amps, and the elMo with my Strats and Fender amps (SRV).

All three pedals are recommended.

The V1 Dude pedal is pictured but recently traded it for a V2 Dude Pedal (maybe should have kept the V1 Dude).

The V2 Dude corrected a volume pot issue (off-to crazy loud with little in between), but to my ears, it lost some of its openness.

Still my J-Rocket Dude pedal is my favorite, most versatile, and most used pedal, that never leaves my board.

AB06BD3D-9EE3-48B2-AFF5-A2434B81CA01.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020