Let them eat people

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I say let them eat people tongue in cheek but there are a lot of stupid humans who are begging to be lunch.

In the end mother nature calls the shots not us and someday the world is going to be set straight.

StratoMutt and rolandson like this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

That's next level thinking right there

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

[ SarcasmL.gif ]

Well since we are in charge of everything we can see and therefore own it, kill all of the coyotes like we tried a long time ago. We are the smartest, so we know best.

[/ SarcasmL.gif ]

rolandson likes this.
  4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

One can hope. crossfingers.gif

heltershelton likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I attended a lecture on the very first Earth Day, in 1970. Dixy Lee Ray, PhD (biology) (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixy_Lee_Ray) was the speaker. I was a sophomore in high school. She made a comment that I have never forgotten. When asked about how we can stop hurting the planet she responded with...

"Oh, the planet can look after itself. It's us that I worry about."

crashbelt, henderman, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Um...are they hiring frat-rats to do the hazing? Will they be paddling (or whatever constitutes hazing these days) coyotes?

Shameful. I thought hazing had been banned. Humiliate a coyote so they will feel like they are part of a teenage university cult? I don't think it will work.

Frankly, I like coyotes. They sing beautifully. I've been surrounded by them late at night while I'm out with my telescope. I've had one jump across the trail, not more than a meter in front of me...without a sound.

Yah, they occasionally eat cats: nature being nature. Wanna keep Fluffy safe? Keep 'em in the house. I've had indoor cats for 50yrs. Coyotes leave them alone...but I also just paid $300 in vet bills for a geriatric cat. Coyotes are cheaper and they recycle.

rolandson likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

We've been seeing the same in SoCal.
    They are getting more and more comfortable with humans as humans have continued to build into the foothills, and as a result, they are coming down into more densely populated areas that they used to avoid, because their limited contact with humans in the foothills is that, for the most part, humans are not dangerous predators.

So now they are appearing more frequently during daylight and in commercial districts, and are posing a serious threat to children and people who appear small or weak.

8. CB91710

LOL!

First thing I thought of when you posted that was City Terrace... which sounds like a nice neighborhood... guess it is if you're bangin'
    2nd thing I thought of was Arroyo Seco and San Marino... but the San Marino residents will hire some dog hunters from the high desert and wipe them out quickly... then the GPS collars will end up tracking buzzards.

But ya... There are some pretty good sized areas in the Whittier/LaHabra hills that are still relatively unpopulated, and a good source of food with the vermin from the landfill. Chino Hills Park would be OK as well, but with the landfill closed, the only food source is cats and dogs from Chino Hills and Yorba Linda... and Chino Hills residents wouldn't need to hire professional dog hunters to eliminate the problem.

muttonbuster likes this.
  9. CB91710

For the most part, agreed.
    Dogs are the problem if they are not indoor dogs. Growing up, our larger dog was primarily an outdoor dog. He'd come in when he wanted to and would generally sleep on my bedroom floor.
    After we lost him, we got a smaller one, and she only went out when she needed to, and when I'd go outside to play with her and take her for a run around the yard.

Cats?
    There's way too damned many feral cats and it's a HUGE problem in suburbia.
    Every now and then, we'll see a big increase in 'coon and possums, and the cat population drops back to reasonable levels for a few months.

Our cats were 100% indoor, and lived long and healthy lives.

10. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Very true. So were cockroaches.

I don't even like to kill mice but I have to. I try to think of each one as the culprit that crapped and peed all over in my silverware drawer. Or at the least they are the ones that gnaw through my rice or wheat bags, get inside of them, and pee and poop all over my food. When I think of it like that it doesn't bother me.

Now any animal that would threaten my kids, or kill my dog needs to be hunted down. And I don't care if it is a coyote or a nasty dog, I'd be laying for it.

CB91710 likes this.
  11. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

when i go on my once a month camping thing, i am surrounded by tons of coyotes. late at night one will go off and then they all go off all around me and it gets loud.
    they never bother me and i dont bother them.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  12. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Have you eaten chicken recently? Or eggs? Coyotes are a plague for those raising chickens. Or sheep. Or calves.

The first time I ever saw a coyote, it was a dead one, laying in a pasture in Kansas, with an obvious shotgun wound in its gut. Because I was a naive child, I asked the farmer why he shot it. He was patient with me, but he said plainly, "Because it was coming after my livestock."

I get it - they kind of look like dogs, so we want to like them. I would also rather leave them alone; I don't like messing with nature.

But I'm also of the opinion that coyotes already survive just fine in nature, so it's not necessary to allow them to infringe on our food supply.

13. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

They were here first. Respect them. Coyotes, rattlers, javalinas... live in harmony.

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talker

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    :D:D Yeah I can just picture them in San Marino. "Coyote sighting at Lacy Park, dispatch a helicopter and 20 units." I had a girlfriend ages ago who lived off of Linda Vista near the Rose Bowl, and coyotes would come out of the hills there at night. Where I live now there's quite a throng of them that live in a nature preserve canyon about six miles away. When there are a couple of consecutive drought years and they fan out for food, they'll lope through my neighborhood every few nights. I'm just really dissatisfied with their service (and the service of the red tail hawks as well). They're not even putting a dent in the rabbit population around here. Now those things are my nemesis cycling at night. They love to run in front of me and freeze.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I understand what you are saying.

My post however is simply about how cities are expanding and encroaching on animals. Farmers, ranchers, etc need to what they need to do to protect their livestock. Yuppies on the other hand should be dinner.

StratoMutt and tanta07 like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I have a fox that runs past my window every night. My cats stay inside.

That fox is a cool animal.

I was watching Yellowstone tonight.

Rip drives up on some buzzards on a horse that was down in a pasture. The horse was pretty f'd up.

He walked out and scared the buzzards away. Looked into the horse's eyes and said " I'd rather kill a thousand men than to have to shoot one more horse."

Then he shot the horse.

Reminded me of Billy Buck.

CB91710 and rolandson like this.
  17. tanta07

Oh, absolutely agree. If you build a house where animals live, you've got to realistically expect to live with those animals.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my parents live WAY up in the mountains of Colorado. To the extent that they frequently deal with bears and mountain lions walking through their property. They don't want those animals dead; they just seek a way to coexist with them where nobody dies. My dad takes his daily walks with a gun not because he wants a mountain lion to die, but because he doesn't want to be the one to die.

Bob the builder and Antstrat like this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

When I had my ranchito in New Mexico, the coyotes were starving. Scat was mostly grass and insects.

And...I don't eat chicken. Or beef. Or pork. Or fish. Or eggs. ;)

I caught a guy putting a coyote trap on my property. He stopped when I put a couple of .308's in his toolbox.

Told him he was on private property, and if he came back I'd kill him where he stood and bury him where he fell.

He never came back.

19. tanta07

Sounds like the coyote population in your particular location was in a rough place, but on the whole, coyote populations are increasing.

https://study.com/academy/answer/are-coyotes-an-endangered-species.html

20. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

The primary problem is that there are almost 8 billion of us on this planet. Historically when we’ve come into contact with wildlife, the wildlife usually gets shown the exit door, one way or another. Unfortunately, the math doesn’t favor wildlife. It’s a never ending struggle for them to have the space to do their thing and just be left alone. We’re not good at leaving things alone.

Mansonienne and rolandson like this.